1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Would you use a commentary if

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Greektim, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where then should I put my thoughts about God and the Bible?

If a book is banned for my religious thoughts, then would not also a message board be banned for me?

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    maybe a diary ? or tissue paper ? lol.
    I'm PB, and rather conservative, but it's ridiculous not to want to read and maybe use as reference a commentary just because it was written by a woman.
    I mean, come on.

4. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just for reference, I am doing research on Revelation for my thesis this summer. I have to read many books, including feminist viewpoints of Revelation (3 female Rev scholars came to my mind immediately). Some of them are quite good. But this is also an academic research project.

Should that matter? For example, if I am preparing a sermon, should I consult a woman but if I am researching for a scholarly journal submission, it is ok?

Just trying to get some good dialogue going.

5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must say that personally, throughout my schooling there were far more women teachers than men.

It never particularly bothered me, unless I had a crush on them... :(

But then these were not elders in a church, nor preachers/teachers in the assembly.

HOWEVER, perhaps women teachers over a class with men in an educational system that is beholding to a local assembly (like Hyles Anderson college) is a violation of Scriptures.

The thinking going along the lines of that women were then to be subservient to the scriptures dealing with both the authority and the leadership of women as relating to the members of that local assembly. It would have to be shown by Scriptures that women were actually authoritative to be teachers over men - an not just women.

Could a woman teach men from another local assembly? probably not a violation.

Could a woman teach a man from the same assembly in which she belongs? Nope.

Can a married woman teach her husband in the same assembly in which she belongs? Nope - only at home. :)

Look at a practical application and perhaps a violation of Scriptures dealing with SBC schools.

Because the SBC schools are under the authority of the convention folks, and the convention leadership is supposedly under the authority of the state folks, who are supposedly under the authority of the regeional folks, who are supposedly under the authority of the local assembly pastors and local assembly delegates in which the congregations sit as the final authorities, then it follows that no woman should be teaching men in the SBC schools.

Hope this stirs up enough controversy. :)

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello SC-O,

You should continue to share what is on your mind, post those ideas, and enter into discussions in your local church, bible studies, etc.
    You along with Ann, and AmyG do a better job interacting with scripture because you are godly women who do not exceed what freedom you have and are good students of the word. In scripture older godly woman are to instruct the younger woman.:wavey::love2::thumbsup:

2 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.

3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

#26 Iconoclast, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2014
  7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What changes in your mind..... because the woman writes out what she could ...speak/teach??? How does that change 1 tim 2:11-14?

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol! :laugh::laugh:

Had one for years and reference it quite often.

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why not? I often prefer a woman's perspective to a man's in many cases in sermon preparation. If for no other reason than the majority of people listening to me on Sunday are women. :)

Also, I use plenty of resources by well credentialed women in sermon research and formal journal pieces. So long as the person is credible, I have no problem.

Just as a note, one of the best women philosophers who is Christian is Marilyn McCord-Adams. Her articulation of a Christian theodicy is quite remarkable, :thumbs:

10. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the way you make the women on the board "old."

Don't you girls like being considered ancient, elderly, waiting on God - old.

:laugh::applause:

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :laugh: AGED.....:laugh::wavey:..Iconoclast now exits truckstop and drives into the snowstorm to escape the coming wrath:wavey:

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

I see narrow-minded fundamentalism lives on at baptistboard.com

13. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said... just getting some dialogue going that is not about calvinism. I use female writings.

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

You were predestined to like to use women writers. :tongue3: