1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yellin' stompin' snortin' preacher boys!

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Gina B, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

This style of "Preaching" is common in Appalachia and the south. It's not always the Baptists and Pentecostals that do it either, I have heard Methodists and Presbyterians get into it. There is a common perception that it is necessary to get loud to be heard, and that when God wants everyone to hear it. I don't particularly agree with it, but there are some that do. I get a lot of criticism for not being loud enough. I pastored a church in the northeast for a long time with a microphone, and I didn't have to get loud to be heard.

As for performance, I have only experienced what Amen-Corner is talking about once, and it was disturbing. I went to a tent revivial. Yikes, not a good thing for a Primitive Baptist to do -- it wasn't one of our services, just went to see what was going on, never been to one, etc.

It seems to me that most all groups get in various routines of doing things which disturb those who are not used to them. I know the mounful sound in a Primitive Baptist Church is a turn off to many. But then again, a service where there are 40 things going on at once is a distraction to me.

As for the yelling, does the preacher realize he is doing it? I suspect that many don't, it is what they are used to doing, and I suspect a good bit of it is unconscious. Those that do yell probably feel that it is expected, maybe what they grew up with. Most everyone emulates someone they hold in high regard, perhaps some preacher in their past did it, and they feel that they should do the same. I don't care for the yelling either, nor do I care for hearing a copy-cat sermon, but some other feel differently about it. Maybe you need to have a conversation about it.

2. djc

djc New Member

I believe that the pastor/preacher behind the pulpit can raise his voice volume to a slightly higher than normal degree if it is thru the will of God. As stated by the individual in reference to the actual actions of (spitting), (yelling) and causing (fear)and (jumping),all actions can be excessively over-done and if it is not in God's favor and will than it is out of place and very definitely wrong.

3. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

That has also been my observation. :eek:

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Do you mean like---in your face type stuff---like a Marine Drill Instructor yellin' at a doofus Marine recruit???

Well---I've heard the "Whisperin'" type preachers----and folks, listen---a lot of them, too, usually do not know what they are talking about! Just because you "Yell" doesn't mean you don't know what you're talking about---and just because you're "Mellow" doesn't mean you do!

You guys need to hear Brother Fred Luter, pastor of Franklin Avenue Baptist in New Orleans---when he preaches at the SBC Pastor's Conference or over at FBC, Jacksonville---he don't need no microphone!!!!! And ain't nobody being rude and getting up to leave, either! The dude has something to say all the time.

Getting up and leaving a sermon in progress is just as rude and in as bad a taste as the preacher doing the yellin' and snortin' and carryin' on!-----

5. delly

delly New Member

Back when I was going to a Missionary Baptist Church, we had a preacher who was in his fifties when he was called to preach. He didn't even know how to read when he went to Seminary. His teenaged daughter was allowed to go with him and take notes. She also taught him how to read. He was an old Alabama country fellow who got quite loud sometimes. Everyone loved him because he preached straight from the word of God. He believed in preachiing about sin and, if it made anybody in the congregation feel "uncomfortable", noboby ever got up and left. When he started preaching in that church there were eight members (two women and their children). At the time I was going there we had over 100 in Sunday School. I moved away and heard later that after he retired the church never did have a decent Pastor, the attendance dropped and the church was eventually sold to another denomination. I will never forget his favorite saying. When remarking on the way some woman dress or the lack thereof, he would say "she didn't even have enough clothes on to make a mosquito a bow tie" He got a lot of laughs with that one.
    I can't stand preachers who get in the pulpit and preach like they are reading a speech in a monotone voice with no conviction, no substance and no power.

6. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

I wonder if Spurgeon's style was considered yelling? I like a lively AND meat-filled sermon much like what I hear from Pastor Rogers, Pastor Merritt, and the Pastor from First Baptist Dallas. Oh that there was preaching like that here in the Cream City!! Actually, it was the preaching style of Dr. Arthur M. Brazier of the First Apostolic Church of God in Chicago that started my turn toward Christ. Back then I wasn't intrested in the message, but I LOVED the way he presented it. He'd always end his sermons with "Now I'm talking to all of you people at home who are sitting on the couch eating donuts and drinking coffee... YOU GOT TO GET TO CHURCH!!" I miss him !!

7. Trapper

Trapper New Member

I heard a pastor say that he personally yelled and stomped when he was at a point in the sermon where he was weak or needed help.???????
    I also think it's a cultural thing that is almost dead, and I'm glad.
    Pastor Trapper

8. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

Yelling has never made me angry. Yelling is a style of preaching. Some folks expect it as part of their religious or cultural experience. They don't feel they have been to "church" if they haven't been yelled at.

I can understand "raising" the voice to make an emphasis or point, but I don't care for preaching where the pastor yells the entire sermon.

9. jle

jle New Member

Well Gina, I don't know if I do what you are saying or not. What you describe does seem a bit scarey.

I will admit, I do get a bit passionate when I preach. I do raise my voice. I do point my finger and am not afraid of saying, "Thus saith the Lord" (did it twice yesterday preaching on stewardship).

I have pastored small and large churches and have never had anyone say I yelled in their face.

My take is:

Any preacher can preach (loud or soft) with or without the Lord's directing. Many styles are what the preacher knew growing up. I have been told, I remind people of my dad when I preach (mannerisms and stuff).

A preacher is much like the thermostat in the church. Some like it just the way it is and others are looking for it to make it cooler or hotter.

When I travel, I choose to look beyond style (to a point) and look for Jesus. Even if the preacher has to yell to get the message across. Maybe he is trying to wake someone up. [​IMG]

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I think the best sermon I ever heard was spoken in a monotone. When he first started talking I thought "he's gonna have me sleeping in about 4 minutes", but once he got past the first few sentences he already had my attention completely focused. He never raised his voice, and I was literally on the edge of my seat the whole time. When it was over I was severely disappointed. I was new at the church then and didn't know who he was, so ran and asked. Turns out he was a student at the bible college here and wasn't around too long, but as long as he was I don't think I ever missed when he talked...I found out when it was gonna be and made sure I was there. [​IMG]

There are some good preachers who can raise their voice during their sermon and have it mean something, and you tell it's not because they're in the flesh and trying to impress anyone.

Amen Corner, if there's an amen corner in the church to start with that would be enough to make me leave. LOL You either have a good sermon or you don't, having an amen corner doesn't make it any more spiritual or effective if it's the right thing to say!

Gina

11. jle

jle New Member

Our staff just finished using his (Tony Evans) book "Free at Last" to encourage us in our staff devotion time. He is one of my favorites. I am a fan of Fred Luter also. I got to hear Vodie Baucham in June (a Christian apologist) and was extreemly blessed.

The message he preached is available on line, if interersted.

12. Loren B

Loren B New Member

I have lived in various parts of the country. The Yelling Preacher has never been my favorite, but I have always stayed through to the end.
    One pastor in particular would get very loud when his points were the weakest and I would go home with a throbbing headache.
    I had heard about a style of preaching called "Tennessee Windsucking". (Probably not by those who use it.) I actually ran across it once on a trip through that part of the country. The preacher slowly worked himself into an excited state - speaking faster and faster and louder and louder. As he reached the climax of his point he would be yelling 3 or 4 sentences in a row and then, with obvious intent, he would take a deep breath that was just as loud as his preaching and proceed to spit out the next 3 or 4 sentences.
    I couldn't help but smile.

13. delly

delly New Member

Loren, I believe this is more commom in Pentecostal churches, although I have heard of some Baptist preachers who preach in a charasmatic way. I have to say that most SBC churches do not have preachers like this, especially in the bigger towns and cities here in West Tennessee. I did once hear a Baptist preacher who ended every sentense with duh after the last word. He would get going real good and say something like; "for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God-duh," and it didn't even have to be a word that ended in a d. It was extremely irritating and I never went back to that church. You should listen to Southern black preachers if you want a "hell fire and brimstone" sermon. Of course, they say "amen" and "hallelujah" every three words or so. I know I wouldn't want to be sitting close to them. :eek:

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Loren, there's a church out here with a preacher like that, it's on the radio. The first time I heard him take in a breath (we turned it on mid radio) the girls and I looked at each other and I was thinking "this man is having a heart attack right on the air"...but no. He continued. Then we all looked at each other and started laughing hysterically, you should hear this guy! We turn him on occasionally for about five minutes when we need a grin. One time we turned it on and it was a woman preacher instead, doing the same thing. Sounds like a sick donkey sucking air in...HEEEEEEEE.

"And then ya see all these young uns HEEEEEE
    Wearin little sissy earrings and ankle bracelets HEEEEEE
    I tell ya these parents are sendin our young uns straight to the devil himself HEEEEEEEEE
    If I could git ahold of one of them and just shake the livin tar out of em HEEEEEEEEEE
    and tell them DO YOU KNOW THAT THEY LOOK LIKE THE CHILDREN OF HARLOTRY HEEEEEEEEE
    But would they listen to me, I tell ya that in this world ain't NOBODY gonna listen to whats right HEEEEEEE but they'll find out won't they CAN I GET AN AMEN because when the good Lord comes we'll be in GLOWRAY and they'll be scratchin their heads and wonderin why nobody ever told them HEEEEEEEE and here I was tellin them all along and HALLELUJAH some listened didn't they HEEEEEEEE but the rest are gonna burn in the fiery pits of HEEEEEEEELLLLLL!!!!!! (follow this with something that sounds like a bloodhound shaking his jowels in front of a microphone)
    Gina

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

You know what, Sister Gina????

God's gonna see to it that you marry a preacher just like that you're describing----and you're gonna grow to love every minute of it, too!!

From the eyes of your buddy,
    Blackbird

16. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Uh uh. Save your prophecies. Marriage is against my religion. [​IMG]
    I'm gonna have to give your church a call and see if I can lift a few tapes of their latest sermon. ME thinks thou dost protest too much!
    You're one of "them", aren't you?
    Don't worry, coming from you it'd be different. I'd listen and probably enjoy it since I know you're harmless. Unless you're trying to change the gas tank on your tractor.
    Hehehe....
    Gina

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I know this single preacher buddy----mean as a US Marine Drill Sergeant who . . .!

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

He'd better have the Holy Spirit without having to preach first or he's in big trouble. He GOT the Holy Spirit when he was saved, if not then he isn't saved. This is a person who does not know what self control(a fruit of the spirit) is.
    If it hurt my child's ears I wouldn't be there, he will not have fond memories of church.
    I've enver seen one of these preachers who were strong on theology.

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

AMEN!

20. Gershom

Gershom Active Member