1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yet Another Eternal/Conditional Thread

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Nicholas25, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

How do we who have not believed in eternal security or OSAS, to interpret the verse in Ephesians that says we are sealed until the day of redemption? Thanks.

I never believed in eternal security because there where so many verses that seemed to contradict it. A good buddy of mine believes in OSAS, but thinks he has rightly divided the Word of truth, and done away with the contradictions.

He believes that the book of Hebrews, which is the basis for much of the Free Will Baptist doctrine, was wrote only to Jews. He says even if it was wrote to a mixed population, it was concerning the keeping of the law. He also believes the book of James, which has verses such as faith without works is dead being alone, was written to Jews, and that the works is speaking of the law.

One of the things I respect most about my buddy is that he does't claim to know everything for sure. He can not really explain the 10 virgins in Matthew 25, and admits there are many more verses in the Bible that seem to support conditional salvation, compared to only a few that seem to support eternal security. As a 27 year old man, I am at a point of learning, and do not claim to have all the answers. Thanks gentlemen, I am looking forward to growing and learning.

2. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I posted below in the "Other denominations" thread so I won't double post.

BTW, Heavenly Pilgrim says in good faith(not being baptist) he can't come up here to talk about it, but wants to invite anybody with an "eternal security" view to discuss this with him down there.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So us Baptists are "up here" and other denoms are "down there"? :laugh:

That just struck me as funny. I'm kidding you, I hope you know. :)

Regarding eternal security and the seal of Holy Spirit, I see it as an analogy of the practice of putting a "seal" on any important document. In olden days the seal was melted wax and stamped with the name or initials of the person doing the sealing. If the seal was broken by anyone other than the recipient of the document, it made it invalid. Therefore, the only one who can break the seal of the Holy Spirit is God Himself and since He is the one who put the seal on you to begin with, He would be rendering His own decision invalid. Does that make sense? You cannot break the seal that God has placed on you. No one can snatch you out of His hand.

#3 Amy.G, Jan 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2008
  4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet Another Eternal/Conditional Thread

Well, some threads on here have seemed that way, but moderators close them sooner or later.

5. standingfirminChrist

John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

If one can lose one's salvation, then Christ has lied in saying He gave them eternal life. If that life can be taken away from them, then it is not eternal.

They shall never perish. That does not leave any room for they will end up in the lake of fire.

6. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I thought it was funny also when I read it again. I like the analogy. It makes sense.