1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yoga

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Sep 12, 2008.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yoga and the Asian martial arts are apples and oranges. I've lived in Japan 27 years, and been to Hong Kong to rub elbows with the Christian martial artists there. I've never had a single Asian Christian tell me the martial arts were pagan. The only people who say that are Westerners who don't know the history. :rolleyes:

Karate began in Okinawa, and few if any of the early or modern devotees taught religion with their martial art. Modern kickboxing most definitely did not have Asian religion involved with it, since it started with the American pro-karate bouts of the mid-1970's. (The Thai kick-boxers are latecomers to the international scene.) I attended the first title defense of those guys, Bill Wallace defending against Joe Corley in Atlanta in 1976. Not a Buddhist in sight! :cool:

2. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

So karate was originally a Japanese system of self-defense and some goobers later on decided to add religion to it?

3. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Why call it Yoga if it isn't Yoga? What does the instructor or the video have to gain by calling it Yoga. It seems they would have a larger draw if they dropped the questionable name and called it strecthing to make you flexible.

From my understanding, which is limited in all areas, that Yoga in and of itself is wrong. That Yoga is the channel used to connect you to the spirit world. Each move is important, each body position is important and there is a reason why they have you do these types of stretches.

Personally, why call the stretching Yoga, if it really isn't Yoga. Each name to each strectch means something within the Hindu religion.

I am in the middle of what could turn out to be a "bigger than it needs to be battle" so I was looking for some help from other Christians for information. Thank you for that.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, karate was originally an Okinawan system of self defense. It never had religion in it and still doesn't. I have many books on karate by Okinawan and Japanese authors in both Japanese and English, and guess what: not a single one of them says karate is Buddhist!! It is only Americans who say that.

Some Japanese instructors add meditation to their karate teaching, though that is rare. But so what? Some American teachers add Christian prayer to their karate teaching. Whatever religion a person is, that is what they bring to their sport, whether it is karate or swimming. Some American football coaches pray before games with their teams. Does that make football Christian? Hardly. You can't make a tackle, pass or run into a Christian activity. Same with karate punches and kicks.