1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

You Be the Judge (LAPD shoots unarmed 19 year old man)?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Apr 16, 2012.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rounds-dramatic-car-chase-caught-live-TV.html

This seems to be more common than not. The other night, both my wife and I sat and watched this exact video, only it was a live (as they interrupted our television programming to show this event) and it sure looked to us that the police had probable cause.

I can't understand why the youngster didn't follow directions and simply fall to the ground and surrender. The video is one story, but there have been tons of others since.

So, what say you??? Do you feel that the police used the correct amount of force, or is this another case of overstepping their boundaries through use of force? You be the judge...

Whatever your verdict, it is a sad state of affairs for everyone involved in this tragic shooting.

Oh, by the way....I don't think a jury will award the family a dime, based on the actions of their son.

2. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

It's a sad time in this country.

The police are getting out of control, but the people are even more so.

So who is at fault?

The worse people act, and the more they disrespect the law, the more the police will respond like this.

When I was young, the police would stop and help you change a flat tire, or, you could ask them for directions. But today, they stand sideways to you with their hand close to their gun and ask for your ID so they can run your name.

It seems to me that the attitude of the police is that there are only two kinds of people, police and suspects. But then again, look at how they are treated by people today. I might get an attitude also if i was one of them.

I dont know. All I know is that things are getting out of control.

John

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you've got a suspect who was driving erratically, trying to avoid being pulled over by police. You've got a 911 call where the driver identified that he had a gun, and was willing to hurt the policemen chasing him. You've got a guy that gets out of his vehicle, who has told a 911 operator that he's willing to use a gun against others; and in the dark, the policemen, who have been told that the individual has claimed to have a weapon and is willing to use it, see that the individual has something in his hand.

I think the family will see some type of monetary restitution. But do I think it was justified? Based on the information given, and having been in the position to have to make a snap decision on whether an individual poses a threat of bodily harm or death to others, and based on my experience, I can only say that I *think* I'd be in a position of cover, waiting for the individual to prove that he was going to act on his threats...but until you're in that situation yourself, no one can actually say for sure.

Some of our ex-policemen BB members, like Tom Cassiday, might be better off answering this question.

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

When someone says "I have a gun and will shoot the police or other people". I think the police should take him seriously and shoot him if he comes at them in a threatening manner.

I've seen so many videos on TV where people rioting through rocks, bricks, fire balls made from a bottle of liquor, and other things that could hurt or kill the police and wonder at the restraint of the police in not shooting them in what I would consider self defense.

If the police are out of control, it's no wonder with so much hatred and violence aimed at them. So few people seem to have any respect for police or anyone else.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Unfortunately since kids today are not taught respect for anyone - teachers, police officers, or parents for that matter - this is fruit of the poisonous tree.

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I Have a Hard Time Understanding is....

...why this kid, who supposedly wanted to be a cop, didn't do as they told him to do when told to do it. From what I'm hearing (on local news) he respected the police and was familair with their procedures, so I have to question why he didn't follow their directions and get on the ground, IMMMEDIATELY. This is quite strange. It looks like a suicide by cop scenario. :tear:

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is called "suicide by cop," wherein the person committing suicide makes threatening action towards the police, knowing they will shoot him. This young man had been a cadet. He knew just what would happen.

My sympathies are with the police. It must be very traumatic for the policemen who shot the young man. If you're going to commit suicide, don't involve others and ruin their lives. Have the guts to do it on your own.

8. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Cops.....100% correct
    Kid........100% wrong

He got precisely what he had coming to him.

John is prolly right....this sounds like "suicide by cop" it happens.