1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

You can still listen to Imus in LA

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Salty, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I might be telling my age but back in the 50's here in the south, we were told by the government, which I agree with, that it is wrong to exclude any one on a public deal by race or nationality, to help stop segregation. I believe if one would read Dr. King's work, that would also be found. Things such as Irish and Italian clubs were said to be wrong. So that is where that mind set comes from among a lot of whites.

From former Judge Isaiah Gaines( from Cincinnati, Ohio, who is black) view, if it is government owned, it should be opened to all if it is privately owned it should be able to exclude anyone it wishes. He said he believed in the right to the ownership of propriety.

From my view, I see nothing wrong with black beauty contest or Irish ans Italian clubs and so on, because as Judge Gaines said they are not owned by the government, which is all of us.

As far as Imus goes, I have believed he should have been taken off the air years ago for remarks against a lot of groups, but everyone said free speech. There are a lot of shows and music that I think should be dropped from the air ways, but if you have to pay to get it, I think you have the right to buy it, no matter how much I dislike it, that is private.

Again he didn't lose any advertisers until after MSNBC dropped him and then I think they jumped on to look good.

#21 Bob Alkire, Apr 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2007
  2. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Agree 100%. The way I see it is community based or even as a special interest group, i.e., group that caters to the same interests of said comunity. It certainly is not racist

Same here. I have never liked him.

Again I agree. In the other Imus thread I have said many times that things won't change until consumers decide to change. In the meantime I am still going to be vocal about what I view as disrespectful, wrong, and offensive. The more people who do the same the better. That is the only way change can be effected.

Regardless of why they jumped on they did and it resulted in his firing. That is how the market is supposed to work. In this day and age such racist and offensive language is not profitable in the mainstream political arena. The public outcry affected Imus in other ways as well, case in point his guest staples who are mainly politicians. They now have to think twice about when they appear on his show. No one wants to have to defend themselves against what they did or did not say when on his show. No matter how contrite he may seem now, I seriously doubt he would have changed. He has been offensive and derogatory since day one. This time it just caught up with him.

3. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Please show us where Natalie Maines said something racist, as in the examples you give for Imus and Senator Biden.

And her statement was NOT giving aid and comfort to the enemy, and it is abject fatuity for you to suggest that it is. Giving aid and comfort to the enemy would be selling weapons to Iran, as the despicable Oliver North did.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do Christians complain, because normally (conservative) Christians are shown in a negative light. Even a "funny" program like "Amen" with Sherman Hemsley. Any church with any values would have stripped him of his position of a deacon! It is not unusual for Christians to be mocked on talk shows and ect. Maybe all we want is a fair shake. I don't expect it, so I am not holding my breath.

Filmmaker, you also stated you defend the right of organizations to have a "Miss Black America" and ect. Fine, but what would your response be to a "Miss WASP America"? (since this thread is off subject - I have started a new thread )http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=39089
    Let me tell what I have done in the past. I formerly worked at a Christian radio station. Though most of our programs were in English, I actively sought to put on foreign language broadcasts I was successful in putting on a Spanish ministry. In fact the man who originally produced that program went on to sell advertisers on airing a Spanish broadcast of the Syracuse Chiefs (AAA) pro baseball game once a month. I also attempted to put on a Vietnamese program - though that never happened. Why did I do this, so we could proclaim the blessed Gospel of Jesus Christ - even in their native tongue! Now on the other side of the issue, my political platform states that I support an English only amendment. ( ditto - answer this on the new thread 'OFFICAL LAUNAGE" http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=39090)

Who know, maybe Imus can put together an special network of stations to broadcast his program. For the sake of freedom, I hope so.

By the way, Filmmaker, why haven't you or other critics cried foul when Imus has called President Bush an "idiot"

Salty

#24 Salty, Apr 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2007
  5. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Hey pastor, what's a reacist? :laugh:

6. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I responded to your other thread, first of all. Second of all, what part of Imus has been offensive and obscene since day one do you not understand? I have no problem with those who disagree with politicians, but that does not mean they need to be offensive and obscene about it. There is a difference. To call the POTUS an idiot is perfectly fine as the POTUS by virtue of his office is set up for criticism or praise from the masses. That is completely different from what Imus said about the Rutgers women. Now if Imus or anyone else claimed that Bush needed to be murder or maimed I would say they were wrong. As much as I don't like Bush or his policies I do not believe he should be assissinated.