1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured You may be teaching Justification by the Law !

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by savedbymercy, Dec 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Jesus Christ said it, Matt 23:23 I am merely proclaiming what He stated ! You have a problem with that ?

2. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

So your requirement for proof of contradiction is a verbatim Bible verse that says "Faith is not a work of the law," huh? Then the mods may as well close this thread, because we can never provide that exact response to you.

We can also never provide a verse that says verbatim "Our God is a Triune God." So are you also going to say that we should stop believing in the Trinity?

3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

If Jesus Christ states clearly that Faith is a work of the Law that ought to be done, then you betcha I need to see a scripture that says just as clearly that it is not a work of the Law that ought to be done !

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I provided that scripture: Luke 11:42. But you refuse to discuss it.

Is loving God a work?

5. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Does that verse say that Faith is not a work of the Law that ought to be done ? Yes or No. I am here to discuss what I created the thread to bring to light, not rabbit trails ! You provided Luke 11:42, then you need to be the first one to explain it and its relevance to this thread ! I am not here to do your work for you, I do my own work, you do yours !

Also I stated clearly in post 76 what a work is !

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 11:42 and Matthew 23:23 are the same verse. There is no rabbit trail; there is scripture, the same conversation Jesus had, HIS words to the pharisees. Thus, the relevance to the thread is self-proving. Or, if it helps you understand better, scripture explains scripture.

You have two verses that say the same thing. Faith and loving God are recorded in the same position. If faith is a work, then loving God is a work. If loving God is not a work, then faith is not a work.

If you say that loving God is not a work, but faith is, then you have a contradiction of scripture.

So -- is loving God a work?

#106 Don, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2014
  7. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

don

I know what they are ! Nothing has changed, Faith is a work of the Law that ought to be done Matt 23:23 ! Lk 11:42 does nothing to alter that !

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're avoiding my question. Is loving God a work?

If you're not willing to actually discuss these things, why are you here?

9. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

You have evaded my posts and thread ! If you are to continue to evade my points then why are you here in a thread I began ?

Also see Post 76 where I have stated clearly what a work is !

#109 savedbymercy, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2014
  10. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

I am merely trying to understand how you are reading the verse.

It looks as if you are reading it as if it should have a colon after the word law?

".... and have omitted the weightier matters of the law: judgment, mercy, and faith...."

In other words law is the main subject and judgment, mercy, and faith belong to a subset?

Kind of like Airplane: wings, tail, propeller.

11. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

All you are doing is finding ways to justify your unbelief of what the verse says, it points out that Faith is a work of the Law that ought to have been done ! The Law's primary goal by God was to lead to Faith in Christ Gal 3:24 ! The Law is the same both in Matt 23:23 and Gal 3:24 for both times the word Law is preceded by the definite article ! In both cases Faith in Christ is its object !

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith itself is a gift unto us by God the father, and we must receive jesus by that faith in order to get right with God!

13. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You stated what a work is; but you haven't clearly stated if loving God is a work. That's all I want to know. Why is it so hard for you to answer yes or no?

One would think that if you truly wanted to spread God's Word, you would welcome questions and discussion....

14. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Who has denied that Faith is a Gift ? I havent !

You say :

Do you have a scripture that says exactly that ? I have never seen it !

15. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

don

Thats right, so rehearse with me that post and lets see what I stated as what constitutes a work according to that post !

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Rehearse"? Do you mean review?

Here's the deal: in that post, you claim believing with the heart is a work. My question is about love, which you didn't mention in that post. Is loving God a work?

Again, why is it so hard for you to simply answer yes or no?

Or, you could simply say that your post #76 says that anything we do with pur heart or our mind is a work on our part, whether it be belief, love, emotion, or reason.

This would go a lot faster and easier if you would just answer questions to help better understand what you've posted.

17. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

don

Doesnt matter they are Synonyms ! I have defined what the word work means, so you dont have to go around cherry picking verses asking me if this or that is a work. Now rehearse or review with me the points I made in post 76 ! Most of your questions are already answered in what I have already posted, but you evade the points I already made !

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While "review" can sometimes be a synonym for "rehearse," "rehearse" is not considered a synonym for "review." Definition, usage and context matter. You don't "rehearse" points in a treatise or document unless you're planning on presenting that document. You do review points made.

I'm not "cherry-picking" verses. If you agree that Matthew 23:23 and Luke 11:42 are the same verse, then you agree that my questions are completely valid. The same admonishment to the pharisees from God Himself yields "faith" and "love of God" to be equivalent. You've made a case that any action--ANY--by us, whether it be of the mind or the heart, is a work. If that's correct, then please just simply say that's correct.

If you truly comprehended what I've been writing, you'd understand that I've been quoting your posts; thus, I haven't evaded anything, and I've been doing exactly what you asked: I've been trying to review the points you made in that post, but you won't answer even the most basic questions.

If you're here to actually discuss what you've posted, then discuss. If I've incorrectly identified your points, then say so and explain why I'm incorrect.

If you're only here to have us agree with you, well, that's obviously not happening, so you'd be better off shaking off the dust and go elsewhere.

If you're here just to give us a message, then get on with it, quit wasting time with all this "discuss my points" stuff, and let's see what you've got to say.

19. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

:applause::applause:

20. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Even though this is chasing a rabbit trail, any dictionary would tell you that review is a synonym of rehearse, for example :

The dictionary online defines rehearse:

The Listed synonyms are:

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/rehearse

Synonyms for rehearse

verb prepare for performance

go over star
    go through star
    hone star
    recite star
    reenact star
    warm up star
    work out star
    act star
    depict star
    describe star
    drill star
    experiment star
    iterate star
    narrate star
    practice star
    ready star
    recapitulate star
    recount star
    reiterate star
    relate star
    repeat star
    review star
    study star
    tell star
    test star
    train star
    do over star
    dry run star
    hold a reading star
    learn one's part star
    run lines star
    run through star
    take from the top star
    try out star
    tune up star
    walk through star

So all this is really unnecessary and only is a evasion tatic to not face the Truth !

When I stated that rehearse is a synonym to review, just move on and deal with the Truth. Faith is a work of the Law that ought to be done. Matt 23:23 and if anyone is believing and or teaching that they are Justified before God because of their act of Faith and or believing, then they are promoting a false teaching and believing it as well, that Justification before God is based upon doing the Law, and they are in error !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.