1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

You may know (absolutely) ye have eternal life

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: (Just trying to follow along.) What Scriptures?

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No point in introducing more verses into this thread until you harmonize the one you already have. You cannot leave a debate when your are perplexed and then return days later introducing new material. Stay focused. Clean up the old material first and then we can move on.

:jesus:

3. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Read the post again. :thumbs: John 20:29 was referenced. There are more.

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

You obviously need a lesson in free will. I will respond as I feel led, when I feel led, and in the manner I feel led to respond. You are welcomed to exercise the same. :thumbs:

By the way, you assume things you have no knowledge of that are not according to reality. Your inability to discern the truth of the matter as to why I have not responded to your posts does not necessitate that the way you are viewing the issues are in accordance to reality.

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No need for personal attacks. You are always complaining about such attacks. Don't be hypocritical. :praying:

6. Heavenly Pilgrim

Jhn 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed [are] they that have not seen, and [yet] have believed.

HP: Here was your comment

HP: No one has indicated to my knowledge that faith will end ‘in every way’ once we enter heaven, but rather speaks of faith, as it relates to our present holding of salvation by faith, and of the promise we now have hold of concerning eternal life.
    How does John 20:29 in any way seem contradictory to the idea that when we see Christ, our faith, as it relates to our salvation, will dissipate as the morning fog, when our faith will be turned to sight?

Context Steaver, context. :thumbs:

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To my knowledge, no one has said anything more or less than "faith ends".

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thomas seen and then Thomas believed in Jesus Christ. His belief did not end when he saw Jesus, he had no faith, his faith began when he saw Jesus. Was Thomas' faith going to end when he saw Jesus AGAIN?

Tell me something, was it possible for Thomas to stop believing in that which he had absolute personal knowledge of was a truth (he seen Jesus Christ for himself) ?

9. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: That would suggest that he was NOT a believer until Christ spoke to him after the resurrection. I am not certain of that. There were obviously aspects concerning Christ that he must have believed and exercised faith, and there were some that he did not. I will let God figure that out.

HP: Faith covers more than one aspect of our salvation and knowledge of God in general. Faith does dissapate as absolute knowledge is realized, but that does not negate the fact that there are still some areas that faith is still in vogue and for that matter, might be for eternity. Faith, as it relates to our salvation, will cease when we see Him.

HP: I am not certain exactly what you are addressing here, whether it be the mere existence of a resurrected Christ, or saving faith. I will venture a guess, and say that it is entirely possible that over time and via the deceitfulness of sin and the influences of evil, that deception at some point in the future is indeed a ‘possibility’ for any of us in this present world. Hence the warning “Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.”

10. Heavenly Pilgrim

Oh Lord, I believe, help Thou mine unbelief.

Oh lord I have faith. Help me Lord in those areas of my life that I might bee seen to be devoid of, lacking, or of little faith! Strengthen my belief, and increase my faith oh Lord!

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then you would be saying that the disciples had no faith in Jesus Christ for salvation because they already seen him.

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not what i am saying. I am speaking about a conscience choice, not deception. Thomas seen Jesus Christ risen from the dead. Can he then choose to not believe what he has seen?

He could "say" he doesn't believe, but in his heart he would know what he has seen. To say it is not true would be just a lie for him and would make no sense anyways.

Deception is not a possiblity for the Holy Spirit is always testifying to us of the truth that Jesus Christ is Lord. One cannot stop believing this. (Christian that is)

#132 steaver, Oct 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008
  13. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Faith concerning what? Salvation, or His physical existence as a human or the miracles that He performed, etc? There were indeed specific areas that at one time might have been held by faith that no longer had to be held by faith, but that is not to say that as long as they remained in this present world, ‘concerning eternal life,’ something they had NOT received as of yet in as a full understandable reality, but rather held that promise as something yet to be received, something to be longed and hoped for, something to wait for with patience, i.e. hearing those word, “Well done thou good and faithful servant, ‘enter into’..” , it would be impossible for them to please God apart from faith. I believe they pleased God and therefore were exercising faith.

14. mark1

mark1 New Member

AW!!! You robbed me...........:laugh:

15. mark1

mark1 New Member

Thomas had not seen himself "risen" from the dead, that is where his faith was and where mine is.

After I am risen from the dead and enter into Heaven and my eternal life, I will not need faith anymore. I have recieved the promise then.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Over and over again the disciples asked Christ if it would be NOW that He would set up His Kingdom. Their faith was misplaced.
    Many times did Christ tell them that he must need die. They did not believe. They did not have faith.
    He told them that he would rise again. Even after his death, they were unbelieving. They had no faith, only confusion.

Faith is always in the unseen. As far as Christ was concerned it was faith in Christ as the Messiah as the one to save, or even as the one to come and set up his Kingdom. Remember the words of Andrew to Peter: "Come and see, we have found the Messiah." His faith was that they had found the Messiah. They had found a man, Jesus Christ. It was yet unseen to them that he was the Messiah that the OT spoke of. That remained to be seen. For the meantime they had to walk by faith that his promises to them were true.

We must do the same thing.
    They had Christ in the flesh.
    Christ left us his living Word.
    Only when we get to heaven will that faith be fully realized and no longer needed. In heaven there will be no need of faith. All will be revealed. All was not revealed to the Apostles. All is not revealed to us. We walk by faith and not by sight. When we see Jesus, we will not need faith. There is no need of faith in heaven just as there is no need of hope in heaven. Will you still hope for the coming of the Lord in heaven. Will you need to put your faith in Christ in heaven, that his promises are true? I hope not.

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We generaly agree on things DHK, but how can i agree with this statement when Jesus said....

"Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed [are] they that have not seen, and [yet] have believed.

18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All of what will be revealed? All of my salvation? I already know whom I have believed. I already know I will be in heaven. I already know Jesus is Lord of Lords and King of Kings. I already know I have eternal life.

"know" means CERTAIN!

This is why it is said, I have faith in Jesus Christ. Because I know by the Spirit He has given me which testifies within me daily of these things and also testifies that the scriptures I read about such things is true and guaranteed.

19. mark1

mark1 New Member

guaranteed is the magic word!!!
    The saved's resurrection from the dead, will be revealed. Heaven itself, will be revealed, Their glorified body will be revealed. God on His throne will be revealed. I also want to see the Elders and the angels.

We hope for that which we have not seen. Have you seen Heaven? Will you still need faith to walk by when you get to Heaven? I will walk by sight myself. What will you say? I believe I am in Heaven? I believe that is Jesus Christ? I believe that is God?

Faith is the "substance" (or what hope is made of) of things hoped for, the evidence ( in other words, all you have is faith, for you have not been resurrected yet, or seen Heaven) of things "not seen".

You can say you have seen it all you want, but it just ain't so.:thumbs:

#139 mark1, Oct 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008
  20. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Excellent point. :thumbs:

Only by faith do we now see it, and that is NOT hope realized in its finality, or what yet would we hope for? 1Pe 1:13 ¶ Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

We now have ‘the earnest’ of that which is the object of our faith. 2Co 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.
    2Co 5:5 Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.