1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

You will be happy for the minimum wage law

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by billwald, May 27, 2010.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

when your teenager must work to help pay the mortgage. $8/hour, 40 hour week grosses $16,640/year.

http://heraldnet.com/article/20100527/BIZ/705279865/1005#Job.trends.point.to.paltry.paychecks

"The U.S. government counts 2.7 million people working in the fast-food business these days, a 43 percent increase from a decade ago, and hundreds of thousands of jobs have materialized for those working with small children or helping sick people stay in their homes. All those jobs have average wages ranging from $18,000 to $20,000.

"The first decade of the 21st century wasn’t so great, however, for the workers who do things like assemble engines, drill machines or operate shoe-making machines — and earn an annual mean wage just above $30,000. More than half the jobs in some manufacturing occupations were lost. . . .

"A look back 100 years shows a country changing from an agricultural economy to a manufacturing economy as productivity increased in agriculture and fewer workers were needed, which allowed more people to move to factories.

"Now productivity gains due to automation and the off-shoring of production to countries where wages are lower are changing the U.S. to a service economy. . . .

"Other changes show the shift from one-income households to two-income households. Childcare employment has increased over the decade by 58 percent to almost 600,000 jobs that pay a median wage of $21,000 a year. . . .

"Over the last decade, the nation has lost more than half of the jobs for people who work forging machines, drilling and boring machines and who assemble engines and other machines — jobs that earn a bit more than $30,000 a year. . . .

"For all the talk of the growing number of health care jobs, a comparison look at 10 years of data shows the greatest growth has been in the lower paid positions in that industry, such as home health aid and medical assistants who make $21,620 and $29,450 a year respectively."

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the stimulus money stops, all the state workers that lose their jobs will be applying at Micky D jobs. My teenager won't be able to find a job.

peace to you:praying:

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Maybe, but do your numbers show how many workers were required in one family to pay the rent and buy the food?

My Old Man (dob late 1890s) had to quit school in the 8th grade so he could go to work and pay the rent. So did my father-in-law have to quit school to help the family. That was years before minimum wage was passed. From wiki: In the United States, statutory minimum wages were first introduced nationally in 1938.

After WW2 one worker with a decent union job could pay the basic bills. My Old Man, with his 8th grade education, paid all the bills. My Ma went to work part time after my brother and I were in school and her money was spent on vacations.

For the last 20 years in most families it takes one full time worker to pay the mortgage and another full time worker the pay the rest of the bills. When I graduated from school it was normal for a kid to leave home ASAP and strike out on his own. Last two years the papers report that kids are living at home till they are approaching 30. The biggest section in my local paper is the repo'd house legal notices.

Another 5 years and I predict that some school age kids will again have to work to help their parents pay the bills.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course everyone in the family age 8 and up will have to work to pay the bills unless:
    Give up cable
    give up McDondalds 4 x a week
    give up brand name sneakers
    give up first run movies
    give up a brand new car every 3 years
    give up the latest fasion 3x a year
    give up that expesive vacation
    give up steak and buy hamburger
    give up ...

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is teen unemployment rising?

High minimum wage rates lead to unemployment for teens. One of the prime reasons for this drastic employment drought is the mandated wage hikes that policymakers have forced on small businesses. Economic research has shown time and again that increasing the minimum wage destroys jobs for low-skilled workers while doing little to address poverty.

High minimum wage rates price teens out of jobs. When the minimum wage gets boosted, employers frequently cut down on hiring teens who typically fill lower-priority positions. Nearly half of all minimum wage earners are teenagers or young people still living with their parents. Most of the work still gets done, but customers may get stuck standing in longer lines, and teens suffer because they’ve been priced out of the opportunity to work.

Employers are unable to afford hire more unskilled and inexperienced workers when the minimum wage increases. Ironically, one of the stated goals of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) is to “protect the educational opportunities of minors.” However, as labor becomes more expensive for small businesses, managers can afford to hire fewer workers — and that leaves unskilled teens and minorities out of luck.

Teen unemployment is three times the national unemployment rate. The percentage of teens classified as “unemployed” — those who are actively seeking a job but can’t get one — is more than three times the national unemployment rate, according to the most recent Department of Labor statistics.

Summer teen employment outlook looks bleak.

My youngest daughter graduates HS this month and will spend it babysitting (for less than the minimum wage). She'll be earning less but not paying taxes or social security... the new-American way.

Rob

#6 Deacon, May 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2010
  7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have minimum wage because without it certain employers would pay their employees very low wages. I know of businesses/employers only pay the minimum and if the minimum was done away with, they would pay even less. It is part of living in a fallen, sinful, wicked world.