1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Young Earth Creationism.

Discussion in 'Creation vs. Evolution' started by 37818, Nov 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBC theologians say that people such as Ken Ham are presuppositionalists. RCC militants such as Matt Walsh consider people like Ken Ham as protestant heretics who dispute scientific deep time falsely.

When Ken Ham classified Walsh's theology, Walsh demanded an apology for a personal attack. Ham responded with it was not a personal attack but a standard historic theological statement and offered Walsh an all- expense-paid trip to the Ark Encounter and the Creation Museum. Walsh never acknowledged the offer.

Walsh does not understand creationism and attributes doctrines to it that creationists do not believe. In the case of Dr. Norman Geisler and Dr. Richard Land, they just cling to the evolutionary scientific thinking of their college days.

I am blessed because I live very close to the Creation Museum and Ark Encounter could go there and back in one day.

I had a friend who had gone to the Ark Encounter with his wife before I went on a senior tour there. He said that he didn't believe that there were dinosaurs on Noah's Ark. I confessed that I wasn't an expert.

Ken Ham built the Ark 510 feet long, 85 feet wide, and 51 feet high (7 stories high). He used the royal cubit of about 20 1/2 inches. Amish construction crews did most of the carpentry work.

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No "wear and tear" before the curse.

3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Visiting it is on my bucket list.
    As I have said, I am YEC. I classify theistic evolution as damnable heresy. Having said that, If God created a star 4 billion light years away, and caused the light to instantly travel 4 billion light years, I an not going to tell a physicist he is wrong in dating 4 billion years. God makes a mature thing and we tell science they are wrong when they date it at the age God created it to be?

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Another way to say this is, "If God created the universe to appear to be 4 billion years old, who am I to argue that it's not?"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  5. Chomper76

Chomper76 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If YEC is true, why did God create the the solar system to be a virtual shooting gallery? It fits the science model of how the Solar System was formed.

It does not make sense in the context of a Solar System blinked into existence and perfect order within a couple days.

There is no need for these loose objects floating around smashing into other planets, the moon and Earth. Uranus rotates on its side. Venus rotates backwards. Both likely from impacts early in the formation of the Solar System as left over nebula material was forming into new planets by gravity.

We have massive impact craters on Earth, like the Manson crater in Iowa and the one in the Yucatan Peninsula. We have the Tunguska event as recent as 1908.

Why would God create these destructive structures in our Solar System that serve no function for sustaining human life 6000 years ago if he rapidly blinked it all into existence?

If YEC were true, why did God create a moon that is actually moving away from the Earth?

Again that fits scientific model of the solar system. It doesn't line up with a 6 day perfect creation.

#145 Chomper76, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Objects that are billions of light years away are billions of ligher years away. God is not a deciever. I believe that universe is old and I believe God fromed earth to be inhabitable in 6 earth days to make and place mankind on it. God created darkness, because He is light, Isaiah 45:7; John 1:9-10; 1 John 1:5; I believe our Sun, God made to be a star on the first day, saying, "Let there be light." And the stellar wind of the Sun being a new star took 4 days to clear the debris to make the Sun and Earth's Moon visible as distinct objects in the sky per Gensis 1:16. The current solar wind mean velocity is about 310 miles per second and the earth being 93 million miles from the Sun, this calculates out to take about 4 days to reach the earth to this day.

7. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The earth and the universe were cursed when Adam sinned and someday they both will be destroyed by fire.

2 Peter 3:10 (KJV) But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

2 Peter 3:12 (KJV) Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

8. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That openly contradicts Scripture and is unnecessary scientifically.

9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fossils that cover the earth are the remains of the plants, animals and people who perished in the Genesis Flood 4300 years ago. It was a catastrophic worldwide flood.

Genesis 6:17 (KJV) And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein [is] the breath of life, from under heaven; [and] every thing that [is] in the earth shall die.

10. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are other physicists who have other explanations. It is not cut and dried. One YEC astrophysicist is Dr. Jason Lisle.

"Dr. Lisle graduated summa cum laude from Ohio Wesleyan University where he double-majored in physics and astronomy, and minored in mathematics. He did graduate work at the University of Colorado where he earned a Master’s degree and a PhD in Astrophysics. While there, Dr Lisle used the SOHO spacecraft to investigate motions on the surface of the sun as well as solar magnetism and subsurface weather. His thesis was entitled “Probing the Dynamics of Solar Supergranulation and its Interaction with Magnetism.” Among other things, he discovered a previously unknown polar alignment of supergranules (solar convection cells), and discovered evidence of solar giant cells. He has also authored a number of papers in both secular and creation literature."

Dr. Jason Lisle

We know that the rate at which time flows is not rigid. And although secular astronomers are well aware that time is relative, they assume that this effect is (and has always been) negligible, but can we be certain that this is so? And since stars were made during Creation Week when God was supernaturally creating, how do we know for certain that distant starlight has arrived on earth by entirely natural means? Furthermore, when big bang supporters use distant starlight to argue against biblical creation, they are using a self-refuting argument since the big bang has a light travel-time problem of its own. When we consider all of the above, we see that distant starlight has never been a legitimate argument against the biblical timescale of a few thousand years.

As creation scientists research possible solutions to the distant starlight problem, we should also remember the body of evidence that is consistent with the youth of the universe. We see rotating spiral galaxies that cannot last multiple billions of years because they would be twisted-up beyond recognition. We see multitudes of hot blue stars, which even secular astronomers would agree cannot last billions of years. In our own solar system we see disintegrating comets and decaying magnetic fields that cannot last billions of years; and there is evidence that other solar systems have these things as well. Of course, such arguments also involve assumptions about the past. That is why, ultimately, the only way to know about the past for certain is to have a reliable historic record written by an eyewitness. That is exactly what we have in the Bible.

Does Distant Starlight Prove the Universe Is Old?

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it does not contradict Scripture. First off Genesis 1:1 savs "In the beginning . . . ." Secondly John 1:1 savs "In the beginning . . . ." The Word with God has no beginning. Eternity, billions of years, 6,000 years all can be in agreement with, "In the beginning . . . ." You claim an unspecified contradiction were there is none. Your cotradiction is in your chosen interpretation.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a gospel issue, it effects God's character and salvation. You should be more careful with scripture.

13. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that 1:1 refers to the beginning of the universe.

YECs think that the universe is 6000 years old from Scripture.

YECs have scientific evidence to back up the claim that the universe is 6000 years old.

14. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The moon is a bigger problem for old earthers. If we rewind time - 6 billion years ago the supposed dinos of the time were mooned to death. (a most unfortunate event).

Conservation of angular momentum should have all the planets spinning the same way (if we assume the small dot, with the big spin and the bang). The fact they don't tells me something else happened here.

Old earth has the bigger question. "why make Adam from soup". Seriously. What purpose would that serve?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

15. Chomper76

Chomper76 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is quite a perversion of scripture. We are not in the day of the Lord.

16. Chomper76

Chomper76 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No. YEC have no evidence. When you get stuck because of a lack of evidence, God of Gaps fallacy comes roaring out.

17. Chomper76

Chomper76 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't know where to start, except that is profoundly wrong. No one believes the Earth is 6 billion years old. It is 4.5 billion years old. The moon around 4.4 billion years.

Dinosaurs did not exist then. The first dinosaur did not exist until roughly around 240 million years ago.

The moon is no problem.

The planets do orbit the same way around the Sun on the ecliptic plane. That is why they are so easy to spot and track through the night sky once you know where that plane is in the sky. The axis rotations are different for a couple, likely from collisions with other pro-planets while the Solar System is forming.

18. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Nice dodge.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

19. Chomper76

Chomper76 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why don't you clarify what is a dodge?

20. Revmitchell