1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Young professions & Baptism?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Roy1, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Roy1

Roy1 New Member

What do you make of young children (aged 5-10) making a profession of faith and then being baptized. Then a number of years later deciding that they were not genuinely saved in the first place. They break down in tears and ask Christ to save them.

Would you re-baptise them, and go through a form of public confession?

For those that hold to salvation/ baptism/ church membership before offering them the Lords supper, would they be held back form the supper until their baptism?

Serious questions, I am facing this at the moment and would like to have your input.

Roy.
    [​IMG]

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

When in doubt err on the side of right.

Rebaptize them. Before you do make good and certain they know what they are doing this time around.

Lots of times children see thier friends making decisions and being baptized and want to do the same. If the parents are matured Christians they might not recognize that the child doesn't really understand what they are doing. Years may go by before that child matures enough to recognize this for him/herself. Once they realize thier sinful condition no one should tell them that they can't make it right because they were already baptized as a child. Instead they need to be led as though they were a sinner off the street.

As far as communion goes, I'd leave that decision to the people of the church. I see nothing wrong in asking them to abstain until their baptism is complete.

By the way, I was saved when I was 7. Never have doubted it for a minute. I still remember the event and my baptism even though I don't remember a whole lot else from that time. A person knows within themselves whether or not they have made the commitment. If as an adult they have doubts then the Lord doesn't mind fixing them.

3. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

I agree that they should be baptized again. Considering that baptism is a command to Christians (born again) the first dunking was not done in a Biblical sense and thus was not a baptism as they were not saved (by their confession later in life).

as for asking them to withold communion until after they are baptized I believe that to be unbiblical. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that you MUST have baptism BEFORE communion. Say for example that a person accepts Christ during the service that communion is served. Their baptism is scheuled for the evening service as the pool has to be prepared. It would be sin for that Christian to refuse communion as this is a command that is for all Christians.

I actually beleive that it is a sin to deny anyone communion. Whether they take it in sin or not is on their head. God will judge them for their unworthiness of taking the bread and cup. I should mention thought that this is a personal conviction though I take from the Bible that Jesus allowed Judas to partake in the Last Supper even though he knew that he was a devil!

4. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

We are Baptist afterall. If you don't think it was done right the first time, do it again [​IMG] ...

At least that is what was always told to me [​IMG]

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I cannot think of one single time when this happened when someone was truly discipled.

Butr to answer your question it takes a lot of humility for a person to state that they were only dunked and did not really make the primary commitment.

6. Roy1

Roy1 New Member

Thanks for the input folks.

The rebaptism question was never going to be a big issue, all that they have done before have an early bath. The courage of the young person to come forward has been encouraging. I am glad that they have nailed this down now rather than going on for years in denial.

It may have just been the devil casting his seeds of doubt, but they seem to more assured since our long talk together.

Roy.

7. aefting

aefting New Member

If someone makes a profession of faith at a very young age, say between 5 and 7, would you baptize them right away or wait a few years?

Andy

8. Roy1

Roy1 New Member

To be honest I would try and hold off on the baptism, but we have no scriptural mandate to do so. If the child was instant what could we do biblically to hold them off?

The child in question made a profession around the age of 6 and was baptised at 11, but now at 13 has doubted their original profession.

Roy.

9. Pluvivs

Pluvivs New Member

gb93433, you may not have seen this experience, but I myself am the poster-child for this stuff. Baptised the 8th year, of the stock of Christian parents, of the Church of Baptist, a Baptist of Baptist; as concerning the outward appearance, a "Christian kid"; as concerning faithfulness, blameless.

Nevertheless, I counted those things loss, for it was not for another year that I realized the need for a personal acceptance of Christ's proffered salvation. The necessity of post-regenerative baptism was there, as well as the teaching of it, but I "got in under the radar" so to speak, and thus put it from my mind for 9 more years. At that time, the discussion came up again and I submitted myself to the ordinance in proper manner, the intervening years being waste, both in form and in truth.

As for discipleship, as with any effort put up by man, shams will sneak in, of which I am the greatest. I do not say discipleship is "of man," but rather than men must engage and enforce it and are thus so succeptable.

-Pluvivs

10. Roy1

Roy1 New Member

Pluvivs

Thanks, that was great, [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I agree with the general flow of the thread. There is no doubt in my mind that a child of 5 can make an honest genuine salvation decision. There are many at that age who know from church, Sunday school, etc. that baptism follows salvation so will actually seek it on their own.

My oldest child made profession at the age of 5, but was never baptised. He was saved at nine and was ready for baptism then. The next four were all saved at early ages, baptised, and so far have had no problems with doubting of salvation. Our youngest was born here in Ireland, was saved at the age of 5, but is not yet baptised (at 8) simply due to the fact that we do not have a church established and his baptism has not been practical to this point.

I think it the same as an adult. If a person is "baptised" while lost he should submit to genuine baptism, whether as a child or an adult.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just because you had parents who went to church means nothing. My parents went to church but were not believers. When I pastored I sought to make a difference. I started with the deacons asking them to do ministry with me. I found out the greatest troublemakers were those who made it their job to be good church members and not real genuine believers. I have yet to meet a person who leads others to Christ , reproduce themselves in the lives of others who causes trouble and is an imposter. When God shows up the imposters seek to flare up like a serpent and strike. So the question I ask who’s living for Jesus Christ because of their life. To be quite honest I am sick of too many babies in the church who expect to win people will little or no boldness or any effort. Right from the start they have been trained a form of easy believeism that is not in accordance with what scripture teaches.

In Acts 20 see what Paul said to those he would see for the last time. Of course imposters set in and try to perform. I have never seen anyone I asked to go with me to do ministry ever not be real.

All I can say if one were to read the NT it is rather glaring when you look at what Jesus and Paul did with their new believers.

Look at how the imposters treated Jesus and Paul. Know of any preachers in the US who are fired for being godly men. I know there are a number. But the latest craze is how to make a dead church grow. Personally I have never been able to make the willing dead, rise again. I am not willing to push and pull and plead with people and give them prizes to get them to do what God wants. I have too little time to disciple those God has already given me.

13. Pluvivs

Pluvivs New Member

gb93433, I do hope you are not questioning me, or my salvation, for you will do yourself a great dis-service by indicting yourself so.

" I have never seen anyone I asked to go with me to do ministry ever not be real. "

Well, you are blessed among men indeed! Either that or greatly deluded with your own lies. True, those who are imposters are a disease in the body, and wolves, and more willing to stir up discord than to work the works of faith. As Judas walked with Jesus some 3 years, so do these such men (of whom I was one), pretending to be faithful with their presence, but not their hearts. The question is what do you do, knowing that many of these children who make a profession might be simply speaking words, or following their friends?

"I have too little time to disciple those God has already given me. "

You need to reconsider "who" is doing your work. Such statements, and the overall gist of your last post, lead me to think you are in the flesh. Christ never bemoaned never having enough time to complete his work.

My thoughts: in general, children should not be handed anything without effort on their part. No cookies with a "Please" and "Thank You," no allowance without chores, no salvation without begging for it. Yea, doubtless none can truly be come to repentance unless they are willing to wash in the river Jordan seven times. As an old pastor of mine put it, even though his kids told him that they wanted to go to Heaven, he would not give them confidence of salvation by "jumping on that," but rather made them learn and wait until they realized that they needed Jesus Christ, at which point he was overjoyed to pray and ask for repentance with them.

-Pluvivs

14. Pluvivs

Pluvivs New Member

My mistake: My child abuse sentance should read "No cookies without a..."

-Pluvivs