1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

You've GOT to watch this - please

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by gekko, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CCM folks often bring knives to gunfights. :type: I appreciate the support, but there were sensual rhythms in Bible times just as there are today. My argument is that the assertion that the Jews used "heavily rhythmic" music, or that they used percussion "heavily" in the worship of Jehovah is baseless.

I'm confident that percussion played a prominent role in the idolatrous groves. The thing that hath been, it [is that] which shall be; and that which is done [is] that which shall be done: and [there is] no new [thing] under the sun. Ecc. 1:9

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correction, scholarly consensus insists that Hebrew music had no regular meter. I'm saying your insistance that Hebrew music was "heavily rhythmic" or that they used percussion "very heavily" is without foundation.

I said no such thing.

Percussion does not figure heavily in Josephus' list. It's evidence against your assertion that the Jews used percussion "very heavily."
    Folks beat out a rhythm on guitar sound boxes too, but that's not the reason the sound box is there.
    Who said that percussion instruments are evil? Okay, guys, who's been teasing rbell? Stop it this instant!
    It's evidence that the music had no regular meter.
    I have no prejudice concerning ancient Hebrew music. Anything I've said about it is backed by Scripture and scholars. And unlike ancient Hebrew rhythm, my bowel movements are very regular.
    Then how does it rebut Rufus' claim in #83 here? http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=34661&page=9 When he's quoting someone who says that Rock is 75% rhythm, and you say that Hebrew music is mostly rhthym too, it's too late to say, "I didn't mean that Hebrew music was anything like ours." If it isn't what you meant, then it was meaningless.
    No, you listed instruments.

In the context of the thread it's exactly what you said.

His statement about ancient Hebrew music is glaringly inaccurate, and He's not known for his musical expertise.

And here's where you really need to pay attention. Rufus didn't claim that rhythm was evil. His argument was that in rock music it's excessive and therefore against nature.

Then why didn't you say that? Because you wanted us to think that what is going on in the churches today is the same as what went on in the Temple. Besides, music does not evolve, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Not my point at all. I'll say it again. Ancient Hebrew music was not "heavily rhythmic" and is nothing like the driving rhythms used in many churches today.

Trying to force the issue the way you did allows only two possibilities, you either don't know what you're talking about, or you do know what you're talking about and are purposefully misstating it.

Did you expect that I was well read on the subject? :tonofbricks:

I gave you a criterion by which to get a clue. Now, get a clue.

Have a nice weekend.:wavey:

3. gekko

gekko New Member

what is "criterion" ??

is that an american term? reminds me of freshly baked croutons... mmhmm.

or is it like "criteria" ??
    ---

haha. i had to do that. sorry. carry on!

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

CRITERION, n. plu. [Gr., to judge. See Crime.] A standard of judging; any established law, rule, principle or fact, by which facts, propositions and opinions are compared, in order to discover their truth or falsehood, or by which a correct judgment may be formed.
    (Source: Webster's 1828)​

5. gekko

gekko New Member

so all in all music that glorifies God - comes down to what culture has influenced it. not the world itself though. because worldy music that glorifies God would be an oxymoron - and would never happen.

but in a culture of underground - hip-hop is rampant

in a western or southern culture - country or bluegrass in rampant

in other parts - its classical influence

other area's its eastern culture that has influenced the way a guitar is played. or a drum for that matter
    ---

if rhythmic syncopated beats are not of God - neither is your country - neither are your clothes or the fabricated cement you walk on.

culture influences music.

may we do all things as unto the Lord
    ---