1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured We don't WANT "Free-Will"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by HeirofSalvation, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    yes,,,:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Babies do commit sins, but since they do not know the ramifications, or consequences of their sins, God doesn't hold that against them, IMHHO.

Let me correct this a little. Toddlers commit sins, and God doesn't place a charge against them. Babies have sin dwelling in their flesh, and this alone, could cause them to die. Death is the consequence of sin, correct? Then what causes a baby, still it it's mother's womb, to die? The sin in the flesh that was passed down from Adam. The only way anyone dies spiritually is by knowingly and willingly sinning. To know to do good, and doing it not, is sin.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

I don't know if I agree with this Willis, Adam and Eve had to eat before they sinned, and if you have to eat, then you can physically die.

Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

What did God mean when he said that if Adam and Eve ate of the tree of life they would live forever? I think the answer might be shown in Revelation.

Rev 22:2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

It seems the tree of life has some sort of healing power. It is speculation on my part, but if Adam and Eve had eaten of the tree of life, perhaps they would not have ever grown old. Their body would be constantly regenerated or healed.

It seems that in heaven we will still need to eat on a regular basis, but that we will not age.

I do agree that corruption has spread over the entire universe and therefore babies are subject to death. I don't know if this is sin however, animals have no sin and they die, as well as plants. Even non-living things grow old and corrupt. There will be no such corruption in the new world.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Again, you insult me without cause. You may disagree with my interpretation, that does not make me "wierd" or "crazy". Where have I insulted you?

In the story of the prodigal son, the elder son NEVER left the father and went out in sin. The father said the elder son was EVER with him. It is our sin that separates us from God.

Isa 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.

Note that God said it is our personal sins that separate us from God, not the sin of Adam.

The father indeed confirmed the elder son had never sinned, he was not said to have been lost like his brother, he was not said to have ever been "dead" like his brother, and the father said the elder son was EVER with him.

And I am not concerned with being "orthodox". In Calvin's time it was orthodox to believe in baptismal regeneration. Lots of error has been considered orthodox.

#244 Winman, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
  5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently two years of banishment hasn't changed him any.

#245 kyredneck, Aug 15, 2012
  6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the point of view of Heaven or earth?

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank God.

8. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Adam lacked something before the fall that Jesus did not who did not sin the knowledge of good and evil.

We have the knowledge of good and evil.

With that we all know Paul's famous words

Romans 7:
    14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[Or my flesh] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

#248 psalms109:31, Aug 15, 2012
  9. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I'm with Amy on this one... I have no idea what you are talking about, Winman. Sorry. I've been studying theology my entire life and have never heard anything like that... :confused:

10. Skandelon

Well, yes and no. He overlooked sin for a time according to the passages I referenced. I agree that he will judge sin. Their accounts were credited with righteousness for the same reason ours are. God is gracious enough to accept a mustard seed size of faith. Their revelation may not have been as specific or 'special' as ours, but it was sufficient for their level of response...and thus responsibility.

#250 Skandelon, Aug 15, 2012
  11. Skandelon

I specifically requested you NOT to try and confound this issue. How would any of US have a point of view from Heaven? Scripture certainly doesn't tell us that it is EVER not good to believe God exists, from ANY view point, so I don't see how this question has any relevance whatsoever. It appears you are dodging the matter. Maybe I'm wrong and you can explain why you'd ask such a thing. Here it is again:

12. Skandelon

Aaron,

Since you obviously won't listen to me, maybe you will listen to a fellow Calvinist:

Before anything else, we must first specify what kind of good works Total Depravity is talking about regarding what men are incapable of doing so. Of course we all know that a sinner can obey traffic laws, he can give alms to the needy, kiss and say 'I love you' to his mom, donate blood to the Red Cross, etc. These works are good in the sense that they were done to benefit others, and that is good. But the main question we must consider is if "God sees those works as meritorious and acceptable in His sight." The good works we are talking about here, therefore, is not merely what men see and commonly accept as good works, but what God accepts as works pleasing to His sight. After all, Total Depravity never say that sinners are as sinful as they could be, but rather they are completely affected by sin.

Do you see how he makes the distinction between that which is GOOD (in accordance with the law) and that which is "meritorious," (deserving of divine favor). You have yet to do this very simple thing which has caused this dilemma. You are confounding an otherwise very simple distinction.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IOW, they are good from the point of view of earth, but evil from the point of view of Heaven.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you mean from the point of view of Heaven or earth?

15. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Unless you are a moral relativist...they are synonymous (at least for the most part)...Certain "Spiritual" or "religious" duties may be subject to clarification...but fundamental notions of "right" and "wrong" and "good" or "bad" are Universally true, understood and objective. There is such a thing as Objective moral "laws"...and not only are they obviously understood by the sinner and Saint alike, but they are Scripturally supported as actual moral truths vis-a-vis Romans 1. Normative human understanding (let alone the obvious testament of Scriture) clearly understands a-la Plantinga...what a "Properly Basic" belief is.

You are now clearly blurring distinctions between right and wrong and good or bad. Godless sinners understand these things as a matter of course. The law of God is as much written upon their hearts as it is in the Scriptures....They are aware of Universal and objective moral truths which condemn them as sinners...and they understand them completely.

It is, in fact... "Good" for a sinner to give alms to the poor...or to treat his own child well. It IS, in fact, "good" for a sinner to give his own child bread when asked...and he knows full well that it is "bad" to give him a snake.....

These are fundamental and obvious and objectively true moral realities (whose source is, in fact, "heaven" as you say) which demand NO modifier.... but are easily and Universally completely understood by the witness of Natural Law.

You are intentionally blurring those distinctions. You are arguing that "Right" is not necessarily "Right" and "Wrong" is not necessarily "Wrong". You are engaged in what the Scriptures call:

1Ti 6:4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings

You are re-defining and denying fundamental notions of right and wrong....I have known of ONE and only ONE person...who can consistently speak this way of morality...Peter Singer...and he is VERY consistent. In many ways, what I glean from your posting reminds me of him a lot.

I do not say this to be insulting...I do not intend insult. I have no doubt that you are merely engaged in rhetoric, with no intention of speaking un-Scripturally. But, I cannot help but clearly see the blurring of lines between basic notions of good and evil. I think you are on dangerous ground. I really do. Please simply reconsider your line of argument. :jesus: :wavey:

#255 HeirofSalvation, Aug 15, 2012
  16. Skandelon

Both...answer the questions for both. Tell us how it is not good to believe God exists from either view point. In doing so, you too will finally acknowledge the distinction I've been attempting to draw for the last 20 pages. There is a difference in meritorious (deserving favor) and moral (in accordance with the rules). You are forced to blur the lines because to acknowledge this simple and very common distinction undermines your premise and validates ours.

FAITH IS NOT MERITORIOUS! WE ARE NOT SAVE BY GRACE THROUGH MERIT. And as long as you argue that faith is a work (effectually produced or not) you will contradict this truth. You have continually ignored the question about whether or not you believe men are saved by Grace through works, which is what you must affirm if you believe faith is meritorious.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. Theft and murder are wrong, but on earth one is a greater evil than the other, and merits a more severe punishment according to the law of God.

However, from the point of view of Heaven, theft and murder are irrelevant. What is relevant is the root of the transgression, a corrupt and vile heart. Whatever springs from that heart, whether according to the outward appearance is good or evil, is in essence corrupt and rejected.

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then it isn't good, because to be good is to have intrinsic worth. Your distinctions, and those by the well-meaning Calvinists you quote are illusory.

It seems you've answered your own question.

19. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

20. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

To be "good" is to be "good"...to posses "intrinsic worth" is to be made in the image of God. Man is made in the image and likeness of God. Man posseses intrinsic "worth"....be he sinner or Saint. Man has "Worth" (as God's image-bearer) period. Otherwise...there is no argument against abortion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.