1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Skopos Version of John 17

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just want to deal with this phrase. It sounds kind of mystical.

Here is the NIV rendering at this point:
    "...so that they may be brought to complete unity.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have it backwards.

Here is Goodspeed for that section:

"for you loved me before the creation of the world."

The NIV reads the same way.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no need for your redundancy.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no need for the adjective. The word love alone suffices.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Mr Rippon, I am sure you did your best to offer thoughtful, constructive, and well reasoned comments.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that we have taken our first cut at translating the intended message more accurately, lets consider a few of the repetitive phrases. "Your name" appears several times.

John 17:
    1. After Jesus spoke these words, and lifted up His view into heaven, He said, “Father, the hour has come, glorify your Son that your Son may glorify you.”
    2. Just as you gave Him authority over all flesh so that He will give eternal life to those you have given to Him.
    3. Moreover, this is eternal life – that they would know the only true God and Jesus Christ, the One you sent.
    4. I glorified you on earth by finishing the work you gave Me to do.
    5. Now Father, glorify Me alongside you with the glory I had with you before the world existed.
    6. I revealed your name to the disciples you have given Me out of the world; they were yours, and you have given them to Me. They have carefully kept your word.
    7. Now they know that everything you have given Me is from you.
    8. Because I have given them the declarations you have given Me and they took hold of them and truly understand I came from you and believe you sent Me.
    9. I ask for these disciples, and not for the world, but for these you have given Me, because they are your chosen ones.
    10. Both all mine are yours and yours are mine and I have been glorified by them.
    11. These are in the world, but I am no more in the world and am coming to you. Holy Father protect them by your name, which you have given Me, that they may be one just as we are one.
    12. While I was with them in the world, I protected, by your name, those you had given me, and none of them perished, except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.
    13. But now, I am coming to you, and saying these things in the world, that they might have My joy fulfilled in themselves.
    14. I have given them your word, but the world hates them because they are not like the world, just as I am not like the world.
    15. I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you protect them from evil.
    16. They are not like the world just as I am not like the world.
    17. Set them apart in your Truth; your Word is Truth.
    18. Just as you sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.
    19. I sanctify Myself for their sakes, because then they may be set apart in Truth.
    20. Yet, I am asking not only for the disciples, but also for the ones who will believe into Me, through the disciples’ testimony.
    21, So that they all may be one, even as you, Father, are in Me and I am in you, that they may also be one in Us, so that the world might continually believe that you sent Me.
    22. And the glory which you have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one.
    23. I in them and you in Me that they may be perfected into oneness with Us, so that the world may know that you sent Me and loved them just as you love Me.
    24. Father, I desire that those you have given to Me be with Me where I am, that they may see My glory, which you have given to Me before the foundation of the world because you love Me.
    25. Righteous and Just Father, the world does not know you, but I know you, and these disciples know that you sent Me.
    26. I have made your name known to the disciples, and will continue to make it known; so that the sacrificial love you have for Me may also be in them as I am in them. ​

I once heard a sermon where the Pastor illustrated the meaning of "name" using the example, "Stop in the name of the Law." Now when a police person says stop in the name of the Law, what that brings to mind is that government authority does not carry the sword for nothing. The power and authority to use lethal force comes to mind.

When Jesus refers to "Your (the Father's) name, the divine majesty and power of Yahweh comes to mind. He is known as God Almighty, able to bring about whatever he pleases. But just how do we transfer "your name" from one Person to another? One possible view is the anointing of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is Yahweh, and provides the power of God to accomplish His purpose.

Now lets back up and consider these verses:

In verse 6, Jesus says He revealed or manifested or made known "your name" to the disciples. Now Jesus was the perfect image of God. When you know Christ, you know the Father. But Jesus demonstrated more than that, He demonstrated via His miracles, the power of God to alter conditions and bring about promised actions, i.e. the lame would walk, the blind would see, and so forth. Thus at least one aspect of "your name" is the power to keep the promises of God's word.

Now in verse 11, Jesus asks the Father to protect the disciples by His name. Again, one possible view is Jesus was asking that His disciples be anointed with the Holy Spirit and Power, just as He was. And if that was His request, it was granted at Pentecost.

In verse 12, Jesus says He protected His disciples by "your name." Again, if we consider such actions as calming the sea by the miraculous power of God, the anointing seems again to be in view.

Now in verse 26, Jesus had promised the Helper, making known "your name" and of course via the indwelling of the Spirit of Christ, would continue to make known "your name."

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's now official. This thread has been hijacked into something I never meant it to be. The last three pages have no posts by me and are unconnected to the OP, especially since Van has never answered my question as to his skopos (goal) for the "Van Tran." He would much rather do his own rephrasing of the WEB, and rarely interacts with my renderings anymore. Why is he doing this? Only he and God know.

I'll soldier on though and continue my translation (with a clear skopos). Here is my next verse.

19. And for them I am sanctifying Myself, so that they also might be sanctified by truth.
    19 Καὶ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἐγὼ ἁγιάζω ἐμαυτόν, ἵνα καὶ αὐτοὶ ὦσιν ἡγιασμένοι ἐν ἀληθείᾳ. (Joh 17:19 BYZ)

This is another fairly straightforward verse. The first verb is a present active indicative, the aspect being continuous, therefore “I am sanctifying….” Then we have a hina purpose clause with the verb “to be” in the present subjunctive, so “might be.” It is followed by a perfect passive participle for “sanctify.” The nuance of this form is hard to translate, so I simply went with “be sanctified.” Finally, we have another dative of means, so “by truth.”

#147 John of Japan, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote without comment:
    1) I indicated my translation effort was more of a bible study than a translation. Thus expressing the purpose of translation, i.e. bible study.
    2) I indicated my goal was not to teach JOJ, but for the edification of others.
    3)
    Returning to topic, John 17.

What was the idea of glorified in them or glorified by them, verse 10? I think the idea is that the disciples greatly esteemed Jesus, attributing glory to Jesus. Thus in their hearts, Jesus was glorified in them or by them.

#148 Van, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
  9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You did not give this in response to my question as to your skopos.
    Why then did you not start your own thread? This is not in line with the OP.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please stop your efforts to disparage me, JOJ. I did give that answer as to the purpose and goal of my contributions to this thread. My contributions are in line with the OP, John 17 translation choices based on the translator's purpose.

Returning to topic:

If you compare my translation choices with those of JOJ, what jumps out is the translator's understanding of what the intended message is affects his or her choices. And the more liberal, i.e. functional equivalency translation, the more the translator's views are imprinted on the translation.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And there you go, folks, I ask a simple question and Van immediately says I'm disparaging him, a false accusation. (He says much the same thing every time I remind him that he doesn't know Greek.) :rolleyes:

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you compare my translation choices with those of JOJ, what jumps out is the translator's understanding of what the intended message is affects his or her choices. And the more liberal, i.e. functional equivalency translation, the more the translator's views are imprinted on the translation.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 17:
    1. After Jesus spoke these words, and lifted up His view into heaven, He said, “Father, the hour has come, glorify your Son that your Son may glorify you.”
    2. Just as you gave Him authority over all flesh so that He will give eternal life to those you have given to Him.
    3. Moreover, this is eternal life – that they would know the only true God and Jesus Christ, the One you sent.
    4. I glorified you on earth by finishing the work you gave Me to do.
    5. Now Father, glorify Me alongside you with the glory I had with you before the world existed.
    6. I revealed your name to the disciples you have given Me out of the world; they were yours, and you have given them to Me. They have carefully kept your word.
    7. Now they know that everything you have given Me is from you.
    8. Because I have given them the declarations you have given Me and they took hold of them and truly understand I came from you and believe you sent Me.
    9. I ask for these disciples, and not for the world, but for these you have given Me, because they are your chosen ones.
    10. Both all mine are yours and yours are mine and I have been glorified by them.
    11. These are in the world, but I am no more in the world and am coming to you. Holy Father protect them by your name, which you have given Me, that they may be one just as we are one.
    12. While I was with them in the world, I protected, by your name, those you had given me, and none of them perished, except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.
    13. But now, I am coming to you, and saying these things in the world, that they might have My joy fulfilled in themselves.
    14. I have given them your word, but the world hates them because they are not like the world, just as I am not like the world.
    15. I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you protect them from evil.
    16. They are not like the world just as I am not like the world.
    17. Set them apart in your Truth; your Word is Truth.
    18. Just as you sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.
    19. I sanctify Myself for their sakes, because then they may be set apart in Truth.
    20. Yet, I am asking not only for the disciples, but also for the ones who will believe into Me, through the disciples’ testimony.
    21, So that they all may be one, even as you, Father, are in Me and I am in you, that they may also be one in Us, so that the world might continually believe that you sent Me.
    22. And the glory which you have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one.
    23. I in them and you in Me that they may be perfected into oneness with Us, so that the world may know that you sent Me and loved them just as you love Me.
    24. Father, I desire that those you have given to Me be with Me where I am, that they may see My glory, which you have given to Me before the foundation of the world because you love Me.
    25. Righteous and Just Father, the world does not know you, but I know you, and these disciples know that you sent Me.
    26. I have made your name known to the disciples, and will continue to make it known; so that the sacrificial love you have for Me may also be in them as I am in them. ​

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Van is here suggesting, as he appears to be, that my version of John 17 is "liberal" or "functional equivalency," he is further displaying his fairly complete ignorance of translation methodology.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    20. I am not asking for these only, but also for those who believe in Me through their Word,
    20 Οὐ περὶ τούτων δὲ ἐρωτῶ μόνον, ἀλλὰ καὶ περὶ τῶν πιστευόντων διὰ τοῦ λόγου αὐτῶν εἰς ἐμέ· (Joh 17:20 BYZ)

We have another present active with the continuous aspect, “I am asking….” The conjunction is avlla, indicating a definite contrast. Then we have three prepositional phrases. The first one has a substantival present active participle for its object, “the ones believing.” The second is simple, “through their word (singular of lo,goj).” Since “word” is singular we know it means “message” rather than a single word. The final prepositional phrase is “in me” with the preposition eivj. It would be silly to translate it with the supposed “core” meaning of “into me” so we’ll just say “in me.” However, the position of this phrase in English must come after “believe.” Remember that sentence order is not nearly as crucial in Greek as it is in English.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And if I am not, then the whole post is yet another effort to disparage devoid of truth. Do a comparison and see for yourselves! Note that JOJ himself indicated his translation was using word for word methodology!!!!!!!

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that I've put Van on "ignore," I wonder why I didn't do it pages ago when he first hijacked the thread. :tongue3: To continue:

21. So that they all might be one, just as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, so that they might also be in Us, so that the world might believe that You sent Me.
    21 ἵνα πάντες ἓν ὦσιν· καθὼς σύ, πάτερ, ἐν ἐμοί, κἀγὼ ἐν σοί, ἵνα καὶ αὐτοὶ ἐν ἡμῖν ἓν ὦσιν· ἵνα ὁ κόσμος πιστεύσῃ ὅτι σύ με ἀπέστειλας. (Joh 17:21 BYZ)

This verse has an unusual series of three hina clauses, with the first one depending on v. 20, the second depending on the first and the third depending on the second one. Notice that there is a comma at the end of v. 20, so Jesus is giving “that they all might be one” as the hoped for result of his request in v. 20. (Note that “they” is not there as a pronoun but is in the verb ending.) Then, the reason given for the prayer “that they all might be one” is “so that they might also be in us.” Then, the purpose of them all being in the Father and Son is “so that the world might believe….”

These three hina clauses in a row is not typical of John, occurring nowhere else in his Gospel. This makes it all the more important to translate the syntax correctly.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    22. And I have given them the glory which You have given Me, that they might be one just as We are One,
    22 Καὶ ἐγὼ τὴν δόξαν ἣν δέδωκάς μοι, δέδωκα αὐτοῖς, ἵνα ὦσιν ἕν, καθὼς ἡμεῖς ἕν ἐσμεν. (Joh 17:22 BYZ)

The “and” conjunction here (kai) does not necessarily have the same meaning as “and” in English. It occurs quite often simply to continue the discussion. I have an unproven (unprovable?) theory that sometimes certain conjunctions in Greek are there to mark the beginning of a new sentence, since written Greek in the first century had no spaces between the words and no punctuation. So some translations do not translate every Greek conjunction.

We have here the word “I” both in the verb ending and in the pronoun evgw. This is a strong way for Jesus to say “I have given.” In some languages it is possible to easily carry over this nuance (e.g., わたし自身in Japanese) but not so much in English.

The verb “I have given” is another example of the perfect, as is “you have given.” It may or may not be possible to carry over the nuance of the perfect into the target language. I’ve tried to do so imperfectly in English with “have given.”

Next we have another hina clause. This one does not indicate purpose in my estimation, but result. (A purpose clause is not out of the question here, but the final decision is the translator’s.) The translator must consult good intermediate (Black, Dana and Mantey, Wallace) and advanced (Wallace, Robertson) Greek grammars if he or she is uncertain of the meaning of these hina clauses.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not your conjecture alone. It is generally accepted that that is the case.

The ESV ignores the common sense approach and gives and in super-abundance. I have a thread on that somehere called :And, And,And.

So, knowing what you know, why have you put "and" there as the first word in your sentence? The last English sentence (verse21) ended with a period. You could have just said :"I have given them the glory..."

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually it is not "generally accepted." What is generally accepted is that not all Greek conjunctions should be translated, not that they are markers for new sentences in first century koine Greek. I've read nothing in the literature about my particular view as expressed here. You'll have to provide a source to convince me.

As for the reason I have "and" beginning the verse, I refer you to the skopos as originally stated. This translation of John 17 is not for the general public, but for students of Bible translation.

As for the English use of "and," some say that a sentence should not begin with a conjunction. But I disagree. :p That "rule" of grammar is universally ignored, not only in conversation but in writing, including scholarly works.

There is a highly regarded book on writing for professionals, Style, by Joseph M. Williams. When writing about beginning a sentence with a coordinating conjunction, Williams says, "Gowers called this rule a 'faintly lingering superstition.' Just about any highly regarded writer of nonfictional prose begins sentences with and or but" (p. 182).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.