BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist FELLOWSHIP Forums (Baptist Only) > Baptist Colleges / Seminaries

Baptist Colleges / Seminaries Discuss Baptist colleges/seminaries here

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 12-29-2008, 05:00 PM
5,000 Posts Club

Default Another Degree Mill

Over the years I have seen a number of degree mills. Many of them come and go probably having little impact. However one degree mill that seems to have staying power is Christian Bible College based in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. This degree mill offers all sorts of degrees. From an Associates in Theology, to a Bachelors degree in Counseling, Education, and Theology, to graduate degrees including the MA and MDiv.

This obvious degree mill offers ThDs and PhDs in a variety of subjects including Theology, Education, and Religion. I find it hard to believe that CBC has the faculty, staff, and resources to offer PhDs much less such a wide variety of ThDs and PhDs.

Christian Bible College allows "students" to "earn" degrees through life credit and by writing a thesis (no course work). Otherwise students do a minimal amount of reading and writing to earn a degree.

The tuition is very high for an online only "school". It could cost a student over $2,000 to read a few books, write a few papers, and get a degree from this diploma mill. Of course $2,000 is cheap for a PhD, but it is very expensive considering that CBC is really not offering its "students" any services beyond mailing them work/text books and diplomas.

The school boasts "many famous graduates". In looking through their list I only notice one famous graduate, Jack Van Impe. Mr. Impe is certainly not a credible source of information for any serious student.

As for accreditation, hold on to your seats for this one, CBC is accredited by AAATI or the American Accrediting Association of Theological Institutions. Of course this is not a real accrediting body and it is certainly not approved by the Dept. of Education. The President of CBC, Mr. Cecil Johnson also runs AAATI. That should raise more than a few eyebrows. I suppose he just accredited his own school.

I can't understand why any serious Christian would even want to be associated with such a sham. However the very fact that it has been around as long as it has proves that some do. I suppose they are not all that serious about their education.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:08 PM
10,000 Posts Club

Martin,I went to your blog.Is there a way to view without the music?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:10 PM
5,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippon
Martin,I went to your blog.Is there a way to view without the music?
==There sure is, scroll down and find the player on the right side of the blog (below My Favorite Websites) and hit the pause/stop button.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:20 PM

My friends, years ago a degree meant something. It was generally obtained because one had ambitions to teach. A pastor was content to graduate from a Bible College with a diploma and get into the work; pastor a church or missions. It worked well, and these people advanced themselves in book and application. We did not seek to impress anyone with letters behind our names. The odd DD would serve.

Soon churches demanded degrees. My pastor has more degrees than your pastor. I am not sure it had anything to do with learning. Certainly for some, but not for all.

To-day, one cannot pastor a church of 25 members without at least a ThD. You will also notice that these degrees are broadly advertised as well.

Pehaps if we went back to the simple men of old along with the book of old and the gospel of old we might again experience the Holy Spirit of old enacting in all our hearts and lives anew and burst out in triumph in our society.

I polish my shoes, press my suit and trousers, comb my hair, but I can't begin to touch the work accomplished by the late A.W. Tozer who spent the night before preaching on his knees in prayer. He came out in wrinkled suit and hair out of place but oh what power in what he preached.

Give me those olden times, Lord. Rattle my soul, not by degree in man's hands, but in totality by your Holy Spirit.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12-29-2008, 07:09 PM
10,000 Posts Club

Jim,Tozer pastored in Toronto for the last few years of his life.Were you ever privileged to hear him?
Old 12-29-2008, 07:17 PM
7,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
[COLOR=black]
I can't understand why any serious Christian would even want to be associated with such a sham. However the very fact that it has been around as long as it has proves that some do. I suppose they are not all that serious about their education.
Christians need to value excellence in their theological education, not just secular.

That's part of the issue, I believe.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:26 PM

Rippon, I was privileged to attend his wife when he was discovered dead, on his knees, in his study.

Yes, I knew him quite well. He was pastor at he Avenue Road Christian and Missionary Alliance Church and often spoke at the annual Keswick Conference at keswick, Ontario.

Everyone in Ontario respected Tozer, if I may suggest as Spurgeon was admired in London, England.

He was not a fancy orator, nor a geat pulpiteer, but once he spoke, we listened.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12-29-2008, 07:39 PM
10,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1999
Rippon, I was privileged to attend his wife when he was discovered dead, on his knees, in his study.

Yes, I knew him quite well. He was pastor at he Avenue Road Christian and Missionary Alliance Church and often spoke at the annual Keswick Conference at keswick, Ontario.

Everyone in Ontario respected Tozer, if I may suggest as Spurgeon was admired in London, England.

He was not a fancy orator, nor a geat pulpiteer, but once he spoke, we listened.

Cheers,

Jim
WOW! T.T.Shields,now A.W.Tozer.Are there any other well-known men of God from the past that you knew?How about the other A.W. -- Arthur Pink?

Whe did Mrs.Tozer pass away?Do you know the children?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:08 PM

Rippon,

I didn't keep in touch with the Tozers after Tozer (you know that is what he wanted to be called,,just Tozer) after he died in 1963. I was pastor at Gibbons St Baptist in Oshawa at the time and I was heading out to Saskatchewan.

Mrs. Tozer went back to Ohio with the some of the 7 children they had. He was buried in Akron, Ohio, the place where he once worked making tyres with Good Year.

Obviously, TT. Sheilds. He was president of the seminary, but he died in 1955. Then Dr. Harold Slade took over from him.

No, I never knew Pink, just about him. I did know Douglas Percy, a well known missionary and writer and another great influence on my life an interest in missions. In 1955, I picked up Billy Graham at the Toronto airport...does that count? Also I do know George Beverly Shea who comes from Winchester, just a few miles from where I live now.

Oh man, you are causing me to remember the old days and a few tears are rolling. Enough name dropping before I start mentioning some of the liberals I know....

Cheers,

Jim

PS. You did know that Tozer was not that old when he died. He was only 66.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:42 PM
9,000 Posts Club

One day years ago, I had occasion to be in my pastor's study, when I noticed something I had never seen before. On his wall, a diploma testifying to an earned doctorate! I was shocked. He'd never mentioned it before, and as far as I know, never mentioned it the entire time he was our pastor.

Two other pastors earned their D.Min degrees while at our church. Both were intellectually gifted, both gifted pulpit preachers. Both indicated that they didn't do it to help them be better preachers or teachers. They did it to help them be better pastors.

Regarding the OP, I chair the trustees at Mid-Continent University, a Baptist school in Mayfield, Kentucky. It is our intention to go to Masters' level, but the process is not easy. You have to have a required number of Ph.Ds already in place when you apply to SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools). And they can't be just any kind of Ph.D Try competing in the market for Baptist Ph.Ds without competitive (reeeeeallly competitive) salaries Many hoops to jump through, and quite expensive.

Real graduate programs cannot be done on the cheap, nor obtained on the cheap.