BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > Bible Versions/Translations

Bible Versions/Translations Comparing & Contrasting Bible Versions & Translations

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 03-03-2013, 05:53 AM

Default The End of the NIV84?

I've never really been a user of the NIV 84, but I heard from a friend of mine that the NIV 84 has basically been removed from all online websites (Blue Letter Bible, YouVersion, etc). Does this mark the final demise of the NIV 84?

Funny thing is I don't think there was any announcement of this. It just "went away."
Old 03-03-2013, 10:07 AM
4,000 Posts Club

Found this buried on the website of the corporation that owns NIV:

http://www.biblica.com/niv/previous-editions/
Quote:
On February 28, 2013, Biblica removed the older NIV (1984 edition) and the TNIV online Bibles from all websites and digital apps. When the current update to the NIV was first announced in September, 2009, a gradual transition from the previous edition (published in 1984) was promised, and this two-year transition is now complete.
Quote:
There is only one NIV, which was commissioned by a broad coalition of evangelicals in the 1960's. The original charter of the NIV called for rigorous, ongoing attention to both the source languages of Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic, as well as the target language of English as it is spoken today. The updated NIV represents the best available NIV translation, and is thus the edition Biblica has chosen to make available on websites in conjunction with their ongoing publishing of the NIV.
Quote:
By God's grace, the current edition of the NIV is the most popular translation on Biblica's website because of the Committee on Bible Translation's ongoing commitment to deliver the clearest, most accurate presentation of God's unchanging Word.
Quote:
But why not continue to offer both editions of the NIV online?

It is customary for Bible publishers to focus their efforts on the most current edition of their translation, and to make available only the best, most up-to-date work of their translators.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:09 PM
5,000 Posts Club

Zondervan experienced great strife during their introduction of the TNIV.

The NIV2011 is very similar to the TNIV.

I'd guess that their decision to no longer offer the NIV '84 is related to that.

Rob
"If people put their faith in either a text or in a particular, modern method of reading a text, their faith is misplaced. People should be better educated theologically to realize that the Christian reading of scripture must be learned and practiced as an activity of faith in God, with assurance of the Holy Spirit will not lead us to perdition if we read in faith and with love as our guide and goal."
The Reliability of the New Testament: Bart Ehrman and Daniel Wallace in Dialogue, p.92-93
Old 03-03-2013, 01:34 PM
1,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG2 View Post
....... the NIV 84 has basically been removed from all online websites .... Does this mark the final demise of the NIV 84?
Rippon is gonna go spastic when he sees this!!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:02 PM
9,000 Posts Club

Default Re: The End of the NIV84?

It's been removed from my Bible app on my Android phone.
If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love is brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.
--1 John 4:20-21
Old 03-03-2013, 02:25 PM
15,000 Posts Club

This is the reason our church has now officially changed from using the NIV.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLight View Post
It's been removed from my Bible app on my Android phone.
I thought youversion still had it, but it has been removed as has the TNIV. The NIV 2011 and the readers version are all that remain. Christianbook dot com and other sites are still selling the 1984 NIV however, and you can get some good deals.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:35 PM
15,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptist4life View Post
Rippon is gonna go spastic when he sees this!!
Yea, you just know he is upset when he starts correcting everyones grammar. That's his way of telling you....

"Were it not for God's choosing some, Heaven would have none." (Jer 13:23; John 6:38-9, 44)

Hosea 10:12
12 Sow for yourselves righteousness;
Reap in mercy;
Break up your fallow ground,
For it is time to seek the Lord,
Till He comes and rains righteousness on you.

“God is with me wherever I go.” ---George Whitefield, 1739
Old 03-03-2013, 05:56 PM
9,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronconagurski View Post
I thought youversion still had it, but it has been removed as has the TNIV. The NIV 2011 and the readers version are all that remain. Christianbook dot com and other sites are still selling the 1984 NIV however, and you can get some good deals.
Yep, YouVersion is the name of the Android app. When I went to check and see if it had been removed my phone was constantly loading their web page because the NIV84 was the last version I had been reading on my phone. I had to find a way to get the phone out of the endless loop of looking for the NIV 1984 that was no longer there.
If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love is brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.
--1 John 4:20-21
Old 03-03-2013, 11:15 PM
1,000 Posts Club

Default Not A Problem For Me......

I'll just stick with my trusty old KJV....! Enough said.

Bro.Greg
Psalm 37:25 - "I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread." KJV

....and as we "debate" or "discuss" the issues here let us all remember the following words:

Proverbs 13:10 - "Only by PRIDE cometh contention: but with the well advised is WISDOM." KJV