1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Person, with a Weapon, Breaks into Your Home....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jul 26, 2012.

?
  1. Most defintiely...

43 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. No....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Situational ethics, and my mind is not made up...

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. There is no clear answer....

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

2. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

When the person breaks in and is staring at you with gun pulled, you fear. You fear for wife and kids, and yourself, this is natural man. God says do not fear. God says we don't live by feelings but by His spirit. His spirit is love, and perfect love casts out all fear.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I kind of think you have taken some passages out of context, but if you can walk that walk then so be it.

4. plain_n_simple

Well what do you call it when you want a gun? It's fear.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I call it common sense. You do agree that not all fear is wrong, correct?

6. plain_n_simple

First things first: You don't fear when a man points a gun at your head, but you feel common sense?

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Sure their would be fear and common sense regret I did not have a gun to shoot him with.
    You do agree that not all fear is wrong, correct?

8. gators_2006

gators_2006 New Member

Nope. I would be feeling some soiled underwear about that time. But I would hope he would be staring down my barrel first.

9. plain_n_simple

Forget if you have a gun or not, the natural man feels fear. God says to the believer "Do not fear". Can you see the difference?

10. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Side question- Would it be a sin not to do all that one is capable to protect one's family if threatened?

I believe it would be.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

My bible teaches that a wise man has fear.
    The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge: [but] fools despise wisdom and instruction.

12. gators_2006

gators_2006 New Member

I see what you are getting at with the "do not fear" but to get back to the main question the OP asked and correct me if I'm wrong with these:

Psalms 82:4 Rescue the weak and the needy;deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

Proverbs 24:11 Rescue those being led away to death;hold back those staggering toward slaughter.

Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet to warn the people and the sword comes and takes someone’s life, that person’s life will be taken because of their sin, but I will hold the watchman accountable for their blood.’

Exodus 22:2 “If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed;

Nehemiah 4:17 who were building the wall. Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other, 18 and each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked. But the man who sounded the trumpet stayed with me.19 Then I said to the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people, “The work is extensive and spread out, and we are widely separated from each other along the wall. 20 Wherever you hear the sound of the trumpet, join us there. Our God will fight for us!”21 So we continued the work with half the men holding spears, from the first light of dawn till the stars came out. 22 At that time I also said to the people, “Have every man and his helper stay inside Jerusalem at night, so they can serve us as guards by night and as workers by day.” 23 Neither I nor my brothers nor my men nor the guards with me took off our clothes; each had his weapon, even when he went for water

Esther 8:11 The king’s edict granted the Jews in every city the right to assemble and protect themselves; to destroy, kill and annihilate the armed men of any nationality or province who might attack them and their women and children,[a] and to plunder the property of their enemies.

13. plain_n_simple

Does it say "The fear of a man with a gun is the beginning of knowledge..."?

No, it says fear of the Lord.

It does not say fear of man with gun.

See the difference?

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Anyone who looks down the barrel of a gun and has no fear is a few bricks short of a load. God gave us adrenaline for a reason.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You mean like getting hung with a new rope instead of an old one? God does not condemn fear. Some fear is proper just like some anger is proper. Fear is a human instinct that warns a person about danger so they can take the action they need to be removed from the danger or deal with it properly.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Believe me a .357 can cause a lot of adrenaline, I know and when the breeze from the bullet can be felt as it passes your ear it causes even more bodily functions to take place.

17. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I voted "most definitely", but I have no idea if I could point a gun at someone and pull the trigger--even if I had one. I believe we have that right, but how many of us could actually pull that trigger and take a life even to save our own? My life is not that precious to me, and I long to go home to be with my Lord.

18. plain_n_simple

God does not say to live by fear.

Yes it's a human instinct, but a Christian is a new creation.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:laugh:

I keep my 45 near my bed. The clip is loaded but separate, just for safety. I will not hesitate to use it should I have to.

20. plain_n_simple

I understand. You are in fear. You can paint it or excuse it, but it's still fear, not faith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.