1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ashamed of being a Baptist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously you have never been and/or have limited experience with Catholics.

Depends on the age bracket & what flavor of roman Catholicism was being distilled in ones formative years. My mother was fond of saying that the RC church was the one & only & true church, for years. I was indoctrinated into that. My father (a secret non-catholic) circumvented it with stories of Luther & slights into comments made about RC Dogma.

But yes RC's have high opinions of their beliefs & ways....even after they leave the RCC they look for similar liturgical services (which are still steeped in error). The Pope just isnt there.

2. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Say WHAT?

I'm not trying to derail the thread and this is the only comment about this that I will post here ....but I think you are stepping over a line when you suggest that the Devil rejoices and God WEEPS when I take a stand for a conviction that I have a perfect Bible supplied to me by a perfect God without any mixture of errors or mistakes (since that is what I believe as a KJVonlyist. God weeps when I believe and trust His word?? I don't think so. Sorry Mex....I can't accept that.

As for being a Baptist...if we are going to say we are Baptists for the reasons we believe in being one then we should NOT back away from calling ourselves that. It is less than honest to try to "sneak up on" Catholics or others by deleting the name Baptist from our signs. I believe that what "a person is won by,they are won TOO).

Bro.Greg

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The amount of accusation and belittling of other Christians in this thread is both tiresome and just plain disturbing.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Don't take this personally, but...

Yes, I say God weeps when we make MAN-MADE rules a test of doctrine or fellowship. And I can say it with conviction based on the book of Galatians, which is written to warn against such errors.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think it would be fair to say that if you describe yourself as merely a Christian to a lost person, he very well may have no clue as to what you mean, except that he isn't one.

Same thing with Baptist, Methodist, etc. Those labels mean little to lost people.

They do mean something to church-going folks, though. Even some of them may see little difference, but they understand there are some. Maybe all they know is that Baptists dunk and Methodists sprinkle.

So, it seems to me, that if one is dumping Baptist from the name to lure the lost to his church, it's probably a useless exercise.

And, let me add this: If you ask a Catholic, a Mormon, even a JW, if they are Christians, they'll say yes. And, in my part of the country, some people who say they belong to the Christian church mean they are members of the Disciples of Christ denomination.

The best one can hope for with the label Christian is that nobody will confuse them with Jews or Muslims.

A denominational label can be helpful.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I say Im a Radical Christian...that tends to mess them up! :laugh:

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

That is an excellent post.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I quite agree! :applause:

9. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is this a question of identification, or doctrine?

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    here is a church that has taken the name baptist out of their church....yes they have....and they are so ....sooo..... seeker friendly:
    [link removed for content]

#110 Iconoclast, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
  11. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

WHAT!!! ??

Are you serious??

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thread is past-limit. BTW, I am teaching elder/pastor of Sovereign Grace Church. We are Reformed Baptist (1644 London Confession - oldest English Baptists) and not ashamed of it. The second line of our title is "A Reformed Baptist Congregation".

But our name only says Sovereign Grace - emphasizing what God is all about, not our distinctives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.