1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BaptistBoard Folding@Home Project

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by bb_baptist, Nov 18, 2005.

1. preacher

preacher New Member

Mine is a CTX brand (no longer made, except for the monitors I think) from 97 with still mostly original hardware. I'm runnin' Win 2000pro (which the "experts" said would'nt work on mine) & never have any problems unless it's a virus etc., or I mess sumpin' up. I've had no problems what so ever. Weren't the downloads just for 2K or XP?

2. kubel

kubel New Member

F@H would not cause OS file corruption. Probably a coincidence. Could be hard drive dieing, memory problems, etc...

3. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    It happened to me as well, but I was able to recover and go back one day in the XP program to undo the corruption. It literally took over my computer. :( After I deleted the downloaded program all was well again.

4. preacher

preacher New Member

Yes & I'm beginning to think I spoke too soon. Yesterday I was just having minor annoyances, but today my systems been wacko. I haven't removed it yet but I have located different files that I cannot figure out where they came from. Still investigating. May not be connected with the F@H but I'm not counting it out now. Also I thought if the red gear icon wasn't visible in the task bar that it wasn't running, but it does on mine cause it still shows up in my task mngr as being active.

5. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Unfortunately, not all computers are the same.

I would never recommend something to BB members that I wasn't using myself.

I often recommended Mozilla Firefox on the BB. I've been using FF since the early beta version without any problems. Some BB members on the hand seemed to have problems with it. I know that to date more than 122 million people downloaded Firefox and use it without any problems. Exceptions do occur.

Same with Folding@Home. More than 2 million computers participated in the project since 2000 and most tech companies (HP, Dell, Intel, Apple, IBM, Google, etc.) support the project. F@H has been running on my computer for more than 300 hours straight and I have yet to notice any impact at all.

6. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

I bought 4 computers in the last 12 years. I paid approx. $2,000 for my latest. I estimate that I use it less than 15 hours per week (less than 10% of the 168 hours). When I do use the computer, I use less than 10% of it's computing capacity. If my math is correct, that's less than 1% of total available computing capacity over its useful life of 3-4 years. That means that I use $20 worth of computing capacity out of the $2,000 purchase price. With Folding@Home, the unused 99% goes toward valuable research.

My two pennies worth.....

7. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

We're in the Top 7,000 teams (#6,958 of 41,728). 12 CPUs completed 67 WUs for 7,900 points.

8. preacher

preacher New Member

Well I'm still chuggin' along. Innocent till proven guilty & all that. I've got all but one bug taken care of & I'm nowhere close to getting it off but I wll get it!!

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

My computer kerplunked again, so I don't think Folding@Home had anything to do with the first kerplunk.

I now have a new computer, so after the holidays and when I start feeling better, I'm going to try to join again.

10. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

We're in the Top 6,000 teams (#5,966 of 41,793). 17 CPUs completed 96 WUs for 12,159 points.

11. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Thanks to many new folding members, we reached the 100 Work Unit milestone!

12. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

150 WU's milestone! We're up to #5,205 (of 41,863 teams)

Special thanks to "sovgrace79" and "GeeForce11"

13. sovgrace79

sovgrace79 New Member

Glad I can help.... I have several computers that I use for my business, so I've just left them on and running... mostly all new equipment as of this year or last...

One question for you: I figured out and followed the directions for a multi-CPU machine, but does it also work with hyperthreading? In other words, should I start two instances of the program if I have a single CPU machine with hyperthreading?

14. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

We're in the Top 5,000 teams (#4,965 of 41,894). 19 CPUs completed 171 WUs for 19,245 points.

15. GeeForce11

GeeForce11 New Member

I'm happy i can contribute to something useful [​IMG]

The team is making a nice progress [​IMG]

I do feel that sometimes they don't give enough points for the finished WUs. I guess it's pretty hard to evaulate the amount of work and give points accordingly, beacuse some WUs can be done in a few hours, some in a day or two...

Did anyone try what's the difference btwn the graphical client and the text console?

If you have a Hyperthreading PC you could start out two applications, i guess, same as you would have two CPUs, but i don't know what's gonna happen with the performance, because it's physically one CPU...

16. sovgrace79

sovgrace79 New Member

I'm running the graphical client on all my machines, except for a server that is dual-processor. According to the instructions at the folding website, they suggest running the text console client for multi-cpu machines. I have two clients running, since I have two physical processors in that machine.

I suppose I could try and start a third, since those cpus are hyperthreading capable, but like you said, I'm not sure if it would do much.

17. GeeForce11

GeeForce11 New Member

Sovgrace, the CPU usage is 50% for all four CPUS in taskbar manager if you run 2 clients? I think you can still squeeze out a little more from those CPUs if you start up anther 1 or 2 clients and let the usage go up to 100%. In my opinion the original 2 clients will slow down, but with the extra ones running too, you might get some extra points [​IMG]

I think it will all come down to squeezing more data in the extra cycles in the P4's long pipelines. At least that's my understanding of hyperthreading. You might get a few extra percents of performance [​IMG] As far as i know if your HT CPU is working with 50% load (1 application) it's slower than HT diabled and 100% load. You can make up the lost performance and gain a little more if you have HT enabled and 2 apps running [​IMG]

18. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

19. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

At the current rate, GeeForce11 will become #1 in 30 days, according to the following FAH stats site ( http://fahstats.com/t.php?t=47603 ), Ross will slide to #2, sovgrace79 will become #3, I'll drop back to #4, NightBreak­48 will move up to #5, FredFlints­tone to #6, mesly to #7, Rich UK to #8, kubel will drop to #9, Nate2 will drop to #10 and CubeX will stay at #11.

20. GeeForce11

GeeForce11 New Member

That's awesome !!! :D

Basically I'm running 1.5 PCs. My new one @ 50%, my old one @ 95% and at the office the grandpa's P2 that takes a few weeks to complete a WU [​IMG]