1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Difficult advice?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JamesL, Jun 21, 2014.

1. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've thought about this. The distance seems to suck all the motivation out of him. Some could see it as an excuse to be lazy, but I've seen how he tries when someone is actively involved in trying to help him. I don't really know much about the churches near his aunt's house.

That would be awesome if he was out your way, but he's over in Raytown. The only church I know of is FBC Raytown, but I don't know anybody there. I'm sure you know they've got plenty of resources, but do they really have someone there who would get personally engaged? I dunno.

I don't have a spare bedroom. My son and I live in a very tiny house, about 500 square feet. Got 4 rooms total. The couch really is something I hadn't thought of, and a good idea. I live about 5 blocks from his girlfriend.

That's why I posed the question, because I know that sometimes the obvious can stare us right in the face and we don't see it.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have seen men who will not work and get to know people in the church. When they do they start pleading their case with the people and they will give to them. Those who will not work will take advantage of that situation. The first time that happened in a church I was pastoring is when we referred these people to a group in the church who would genuinely help them and not just give money away needlessly.

Paul wrote that those who will not work are not to eat. I know an older man who at one time was a bum and when people would not feed him he started eating road kill and that is when he came back to God. That is when his life turned around. He had left the church and the people but when he was tired and hungry he came back and has been living for Jesus ever since. For several years now he is a deacon in his church.

3. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Is your son a minor? Or a grown man? Also, you'd better know how long he can stay there until your home becomes his legal residence and you CAN'T kick him out if things go bad (my wife's cousin in Ohio found this out the hard way).

If your son is a minor, you'd better make darn sure that YOU influence his life and not this guy who has a baby he won't support since he's not all that workyfied. Be careful who you let into your life...they could mess it up.

4. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you guys can't see the forest for the trees. You need to figure out what the hold up is on marrying the girl. Regardless of religious reasons, if they get married, there is more federal help that they would be eligible for. For low income people it is pretty dumb not to get married. College for instance... you are instantly eligible for a ton of grants, but otherwise you have to use your parent's incomes and are only eligible for loans. It makes no sense not to get married considering their position. Have you shared any of this with him? I'm guessing you have only been harping on the religious aspect. If they're going to live together anyway, what's the hold up?

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

As it happens, I know a few people at FBC Raytown. I'm going to PM you and give you my email. Maybe I can get them involved with discipling him.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He should stay at his aunt's house, and more fervent prayers should be offered on his behalf.