1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured DL Moody

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Dec 25, 2016.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good because lots and lots of people in DT Denver do not want to talk. However if I worked evenings I would have time to do college evangelism and in that environment people would have time to argue and tell me I am wrong and in that environment I would probably do more open air preaching and using books and or booklet to engage the students.

Evangelism is different depending on context. Back in SC more students roamed the streets and so I did not have as many tracts as I do know because more had time to talk with me.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes I do. I have carried the Four Spiritual Laws and Would You Like to Know God Personally by CRU (basically an updated version of the Four Spiritual Laws). I also make sure my name and contact info are written on the back and I'm sure to give it to a person and tell them that they are welcome to call me or e-mail me anytime they have a question or want to talk more. I've given them out in personal contact situations where I felt the person was not ready to respond right now but I didn't want to leave them alone with only what we said. I'll often try to follow up with them and make sure to give them a Bible as well.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure where you get this; I've never heard that he combined evangelism with social work, and I have two biographies of Moody.

In reality, his power in the pulpit came straight from the fullness of the Holy Spirit. Read this article about Moody's experience by his co-worker, R. A. Torrey: http://www.wholesomewords.org/biography/biomoody6.html

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not against tracts, but find itmore profittable to live as witnesses for Him at school/work/family, and tell others once have a reltionship etablished!
    When friends and those who know us see Christ in us, our lives have punch!

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a long, gimmick-less tract that presents the Gospel carefully, compassionately and fully:http://www.swordbooks.com/whatmustidotobesavedeng.aspx

This tract has been in print continuously for over 40 years, and tens of thousands have been saved through it in about 30 languages.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I would LOVE to see that updated in a more modern look to the package - something that is more likely for someone to open it than something from 60 years ago. ;) I wonder if that would be possible.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, now, if I were running the place.... :Smile All I know to say is to write Shelton Smith and ask about it, since he is the current head of the ministry.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. I remember you posting this awhile back but couldn't find the thread.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot remember where I came across that information. It was in a biography, I believe, but I've read several on Moody (I only own two and have no idea where they are). So I may have my evangelists mixed up.

What I remember (again, if my memory serves me correctly....batting 50/50 right now) early on Moody combined social work with evangelism to reach the lost. He was president of the Chicago YMCA for four years and used community outreach programs within the YMCA as evangelistic tools. If I recall, wasn't that how he ended up partnering with Ira Sankey? He used YMCA programs not only to witness to those he contacted but also to develop programs to distribute tracts and hold prayer meetings.

Moody concentrated heavily on social programs to assist the flood of immigrants in Chicago, even holding English classes to teach those who did not know the language. I may have the wrong person, but I believe that these were the works of Moody because, if I recall, after the Chicago fire he ended the social work aspect of his ministry and focused strictly on evangelism.

I hate referring to things without being able to provide a reference. I will try to find the book. I am fairly confident that it was Moody who combined social work and evangelism early on, mostly because that evangelist changed this after the Chicago fire,and Moody is the only one who comes to my mind when I think of great evangelists and the Chicago fire.

10. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    https://books.google.com/books/about/Hand_book_of_Chicago_s_Charities.html?id=iqgsAQAAMAAJ

Page 47 talks a little about Moody and consolidating charities.

• Like Like x 1
  11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure he did charity work of various kinds; no doubt that includes after the Great Chicago Fire. What I doubt is that his charity work was a help to his work as an evangelist. As I've pointed out, he gave credit to his power in the pulpit to the filling of the Holy Spirit. That is the only way evangelism can succeed.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.....but I don't think that we are talking about the same thing. I must have worded my initial statements poorly as I do not disagree that he gave credit to his power in the pulpit to the filling of the Holy Spirit.

Lila Halsey (the principal of the Northfield Bible Training School at the time of Moody’s death) wrote that Moody had designed the NBTS as a vocational school to train Christian workers. It “recognizes the truth that ministry to physical needs is often the wedge which opens the door for ministry to spiritual needs. Sewing, cooking, music and hygiene, therefore, have a prominent place in the course of study.”

The author also noted Moody’s emphasis on helping the poor children (“in particular little girls trapped in the rural poverty of northern New England”). (Lyle Dorsett, A passion for Souls)

This is what I am talking about, John. Not that Moody’s ministry was somehow not Spirit driven but that his ministry included not only the spiritual but the physical needs of people. The social aspect – YMCA programs, English classes for immigrants, teaching sewing and cooking to women...these form a part of Moody’s ministry. His evangelism was gospel and it was social. D.L. Moody was Spirit driven not just in the pulpit but in a way to impact the lives of those he encountered by meeting not only spiritual but also physical needs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, JonC. We're on the same page, then.

By the way, earlier this year our administration took us profs and staff members down to see MBI and Moody Bible Church. We met the current pastor, Dr. Erwin Lutzer, and he gave his church history book to our pres, who then allowed me to read it first since I teach Ch. Hist. Dr. Lutzer spoke to us and we learned he is an extremely funny pastor--had us all in stitches.

They have a very small museum at MBI about D. L. with a life size statue. I was interested to learn he had a condition in his hands that I also have that makes the fingers curl up--can't remember what it's called. The ligaments have a build up of some kind on them. Can't straighten several fingers. Moody had it much worse, though.

• Like Like x 2
  14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What church history book? Is it a new book that has not yet hit the market? I like Lutzer and have many of his books. Although not Reformed still a great pastor.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, it is fairly new but I don't remember the title, gave it back to our Pres.; but it's about the Reformation. And actually, he is Reformed, and talks about it in the last chapter of the book.

Gotta go, folks. See ya'll Monday.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No he's not as he denies LS. One can't be Reformed and deny LS.

17. ChrisTheSaved

ChrisTheSaved Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had lost my way, saddled with depression and self hate. What got me to return to church and change my life was a small tract left under my windshield wiper. It was passed out by a local church and that single sheet of paper reminded me of my purpose in life. I truly believe that it was placed there for just me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's good to place tracts under windshield wipers as I do sometimes.

19. ChrisTheSaved

ChrisTheSaved Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

I was just trolling you. I doubt anyone has been saved this way. I was doing to you what you do to everyone on this board.

• Like Like x 1
  20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Talking gremlins exist!