1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does God Learn?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Jul 9, 2012.

?
  1. Yes, scripturre clearly shows us that He does

13.0%
  2. I believe He does in some way but not sure how

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, and those who believe He learns hold on the heresy

43.5%
  4. No, those who believe He does are just wrong

43.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While we hold differing views, this post is spot on. That God knows what He has chosen to know, rather than everything imaginable is fully consistent with all scripture. The name calling folks deny the obvious.

It is important to believe what scripture actually says, rather than the doctrines of men which do not fit with all scripture, in order to say we believe in the God of the Bible, rather than the god of man's invention.

2. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Even if the Bible taught that God limited his knowledge(it doesn't) it wouldn't be God not knowing something and learning something as some here incorrectly teach. It would be more of God not using the knowledge he has. The Bible clearly teaches that God knows everything. (knowing everything he has chosen to know is laughable and of course unbiblical. How can you choose not to know something...you would know it to choose not to know it....duh!). It also flies in the face that God is eternal. If God knows something now, he has always know it because he is eternal. If God learns something, his knowledge changes. God doesn't change.

some of the verses that teach that God has ALL knowledge

I John 3:20, John 21:17, Psalm 147:4,5, Acts 15:18, Isaiah 46:10, Psalm 139:4, 1 Kings 8:39...

Some of the verses that teach that God doesn't know something or learned something he didn't' know.....

The biggest issue is not the questions about Jesus and limiting knowledge. The issue is that the Bible teaches that God knows everything and some want to make God into something less than he is. It is denying many passages that teach that God knows everything and making unbiblical assumptions on other passages to say that there are things God doesn't know. Not knowing everything is not the God of the Bible.

#82 jbh28, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...then explain how Christ, being fully God didn't (doesn't) know the time of His return?

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

His knowledge was limited only during the time that He took on human flesh. He has now returned to the glory He had with the Father before the world began. He was only limited in His humanity and that for only 3 years during His earthly ministry.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This has to be one of the silliest things I've ever read on this board.

How can you choose to NOT know something without already knowing it in the first place? :confused:

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and back to splitting Christ's humanity from His deity again :BangHead:

7. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

The Father knows = God knows. The discussion is over does God learn.

8. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Jesus is one person with two different natures (divine and human). There are some things that are hard to understand. God is eternal and cannot die....Jesus died. God knows everything....Only the Father knows the time of the return.

9. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

JBH...I am truly extatic whenever you weigh in....and I hate this....but...even though I (who basically agrees with you), this answer is not sufficient. I am a devotee of exhaustive foreknowledge myself...but....I feel compelled to do the dissenters job for them:

#89 HeirofSalvation, Jul 11, 2012
  10. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Possible answer to the question:

Easily...If you can differentiate between the "content" of a belief and the knowledge that a "fact" merely exists...how stupid do you think God is???? Those are two separate truths:
    1.) There is a "truth-value" to what will occur
    and
    2.) What the ontological reality of what that occurance is...:rolleyes:

It isn't that complicated really.

#90 HeirofSalvation, Jul 11, 2012
  11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have no idea what you just said.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm not splitting anything, unless you consider rightly dividing the word of God to be "splitting". :smilewinkgrin:

13. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

......I know

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes. You're sooooo much smarter than me! :laugh:

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus is God. Jesus didn't know. Apparently Jesus had to *gasp* learn when His return would be :)

16. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

......Yes....

17. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

I don't know how powerful this argument is meant to be...but if it is designed to be something of a play on words...if the intention is to out-smart him by an equivocation between the word "divide" and "split" which only has signifigance to the Western mind if at all...Allow me to Rob you blind of this ill-advised argument completely....

One who is an amateur sycophant of ancient History might note that....in ancient Egypt (for instance) in courts of law...all "arguments" or contentions were required by law to be submitted in writing, and the literal definition of the word: "Argue" was literally to "Split-hairs"....Just love that History...sheds light on stuff.....(see the inestimable Historian Will Durant for this) robs people of avoiding substance by placing random synonyms for words while avoiding defining them....Please express your real intent without playing stupid word-games....stop lying. Stop trying to "out-wit" or decieve...let your "yay" be "yay" and your "nay" be "nay".

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

:applause: And where there is confusion, the devil is at work.

This ought to clarify for you, Amy, how unBiblical is this whole concept that there is something God doesn't know and has to "learn".

19. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

The Father is God and did know. So to say that God didn't know something is error.

20. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.