1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Health Benefits of Tongues

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by plain_n_simple, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The use of the word "mind" is a terrible translation. It is more properly translated "understanding" elsewhere.

These two verses are not in conflict with anything I have said. The question for this verse is to whom will the person speaking in tongues' understanding be unfruitful. I suggest that the context of this passage is about the corporate body and it is in fact unfruitful to them.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Primary use of tongues:
    1 Corinthians 14:21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

I. --a sign of judgment to Israel.
    This was a fulfillment of prophecy given in Isa.28:11,12. Other nations with other languages would be God's spokesmen speaking forth God's message. How could this be? They were the chosen people, chosen to speak God's message. It was a rebuke to them and a sign of judgment to come.

II. A sign of an apostle.
    2 Corinthians 12:12 Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds.

Hebrews 2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
    4 God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost
    , according to his own will?
    --The gospel was confirmed to the Hebrew Christians by the apostles (them that heard Christ). God bore them witness with signs...and the gifts of the Holy Ghost (and the gift of tongues was one of those signs 1Cor.12:28).

III. A sign of the end of God's Revelation.
    1 Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
    --The question is when?

1 Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
    --We know in part. NT revelation was in part. They had "part" of God's revelation, that is, the OT. Therefore God gave some the gift of prophesy for a temporary period of time to make up what was lacking in NT revelation. Therefore, "we prophesy in part."

1 Corinthians 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
    --"That which is perfect" "telios" the neuter word better translated "complete".
    When that which is complete is come (the Word of God), then that which is part shall be done away (spiritual gifts). They won't be needed any longer.

A comparison to the spiritual gifts which are temporary.
    1 Corinthians 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
    --How long will faith last?
    The object of our faith is Jesus Christ. He is the author and finisher of our faith. When Christ comes we will have no more need of faith.

The same is true of hope.
    Romans 8:24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
    25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.
    --Like faith our hope is in Christ. We hope for what we see not. We don't see Christ, but when we see him we will no longer need to hope for him.

Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
    --He is our blessed hope. When he comes "hope" will be no longer.
    Faith and hope will end at the coming of Christ.

1 Corinthians 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
    --Love is the greatest for love never fails. Love endures for ever. It will never end.

As for the other spiritual gifts, including tongues, they ended at the end of the first century when God's revelation was complete. Tongues was a sign that the revelation of God was complete.

Yes, it was a sign to unbelieving Jews. But that is not all it was. It was much more than that--so much more that it can be shown conclusively that it is not for today--with overwhelming evidence.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Co 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

I can repeat myself as well.

I never said they are or are not for today. However, there is no scripture that declares them ceased.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Consider the evidence. All aspects of one doctrine does not revolve around just one verse.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i'm not really sure what it is you think you disagree with me about.

6. Rebecca D Campbell

Rebecca D Campbell New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I stumbled across this old post while attempting to fact check a facebook repost I saw and thought I'd share some verses with those who don't know where to find them.

Isaiah 28:10-12 King James Version (KJV)

10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
    11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
    12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
    Paul references this Old Testament verse when talking about speaking in tongues/praying in the Spirit in 1 Corinthians 14.

What is speaking in tongues?
    1 Cor. 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. Praying in the Spirit is the same as praying in tongues.

Rom. 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
    27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. So praying in tongues is the Spirit of God Himself making intercession on our behalf according to the will of God because we don't always know what or how to pray.

1 Corinthians 14:2
    For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. Speaking in tongues is speaking the mysteries of God. It can't be understood. It's not an earthly language but a spiritual one.

There are two different instances (not kinds but circumstances) of speaking in tongues mentioned in the Bible. The first is when a believer prays to God in tongues which we are commanded to do often. This is talked about at the end of Ephesians 6 right with the armor of God when we are commanded "18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit". This is the same circumstance as the verse already mentioned from Romans, that when we are praying in tongues/the Spirit that the very Spirit of God is interceding through us for the saints. This is also the case with Jude 20 where tongues is mentioned as the other way (the first is hearing the Word) to build our faith. And this is likely the instance Paul is speaking about when he says "i thank my God I speak in tongues more than you all" (1 Cor. 14:18).

The second circumstance of speaking in tongues is talked about in 1 Corinthians where Paul repeats over and over "when you come together". He is correcting some things that were no quite right about the assembly in Corinth. One of those was that people were speaking in tongues during the meetings whenever they wanted. Paul corrects them by reminding them that if an unbeliever comes in and finds everyone speaking in tongues that that person will think they are mad. He tells them "
    23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad? 24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:
    25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth. 26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
    27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. 29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. 30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. 31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted."
    He ends that discussion in verse 40 with "Let all things be done decently and in order." This instance of speaking in tongues is for the benefit of the hearer. Anyone who can speak in tongues can and should desire to be sued in this manner in the church meetings but someone must interpret. Anyone who has the Spirit can interpret and is instructed by Paul earlier in this same chapter to seek to be used to interpret tongues in the meetings. It's not a translation like english to spanish but rather a divine revelation of the word of God. It's always biblical, founded on Scripture and simply a revealing of what God is impressing on that person's heart through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Other verses about speaking in tongues that you should look at include John 3:1-8 (particularly verse 8 where "wind" is the same greek word translated everywhere else as "Spirit" and "sound" is the same word translated everywhere else as "voice" or "language".
    Mark 16:15-20
    Acts chapters 2, 8, 10-11, and 19 (the salvation accounts

7. JosephBKuzara

JosephBKuzara Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What is praying in the Spirit? | GotQuestions.org

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    there is no personal prayer tongue language mentioned in the NT...It was a sign gift given by God to be used in beginning of the Church, in use until scriptures were completed...

9. JosephBKuzara

JosephBKuzara Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I know, that is why I posted that link, but you did not look into what I posted and assumed I needed to be corrected. That link does not support the Pentecostals view on praying in tongues.

10. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    *licks arm*
    *+5 HP*

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad that you are heeding the scriptures on this issue!