1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Holiness is not Legalism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by T Alan, Dec 18, 2014.

1. T Alan

T Alan New Member

This doesn't occur in the Northern region?

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the contrary, I was referring to the Rev's question of where the people were that considered holiness to be associated with legalism, by giving an example. I agree with you that holiness is not typically a form of legalism but that it is often to referred to that way.

Wesley's oft misunderstood doctrines of "Christian Perfection" is another good source on the subject. Yet, no doubt many, especially here, will attempt to spin that into a form of works salvation - IOWs if you talk of holiness they immediately contend those who hold to such a doctrine must be wrapped up in a works based/earned sanctification, blah, blah and therefore you could logically conclude they consider it legalism and you can expect to hear the Determinist's battle cry that it therefore is not of grace, - and WHOA! to you - if you maintain that salvation is to have a condition of faith by which leads to holiness, etc. Whatever...

#22 Benjamin, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014
  3. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Very God, thanks for the clarification. Agreed.

4. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Who are these people?

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Holiness is the work of God in and towards the saved, while legalism is someone trying to do that same workby themselves, and taking the credit for it, by making sure all others must be doing same things inrder to be "right with God"

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got news for yall, it doesn't happen in the south either.

7. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Rev, thanks for calling me a liar. CoG believe in being saved, sanctified and filled with the Holy Ghost. I have witnessed these people coming back to the altar for the second and third working of grace as they call it. They also believe just being saved is not being filled with the Holy Ghost. Congregational Methodist of which my father in law belonged before he passed away believed in praying again for the second working of grace called sanctification. I ask him one time to prove to me by scripture this doctrine. He said in Mk 8:24 when Christ put spit on the blind man's eyes and ask him if he could see, the blind man said, I see men as tree's walking. After that Christ put his hands again on his eyes and the blind man saw every man clearly. So you see said my father in law, the blind man was not whole until the second working of grace. Congregation Methodist went into Southern Methodist several years ago so I don't know if this view is still held or not.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am from the south, my parents are from the south, I am eat up from the south. Charismatics may look at things that way but that is not a south thing there is no accounting for what charismatics think and do. They do it everywhere north, south, east, and west.