1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How did the Apostle Paul get it so wrong?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:dream on DHK...you have been busted,,BIGTIME:laugh: I do not have to twist anything...just read it correctly

#61 Iconoclast, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
  2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Why are you laughing? You really don't understand what he is saying, neither have you refuted the last post where I quoted Gill. Denial is no defense. Gill does not agree with your "new Calvinism" view.

Here again:
    If any verse would support your position it would be this one (SBM's favorite).

Romans 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Here is what Gill says:
    The passage is directed to Christians and is about Christians.
    The teaching here is about "the flesh," "the carnal nature."
    Everyone has this sinful nature. It comes from Adam, and no one is excepted. Where regenerated or unregenerated we have this sin nature. It will not leave us even when we trust Christ, or when one is converted or when one is regenerated, or justified, or sanctified. It will not leave until one is glorified, that is, when the resurrection occurs or we get to heaven. We have it til death.
    It is this flesh nature that does not please God, whether in the saved or unsaved. This is what Gill is saying. It is what he has been teaching (and what you have been missing) all the way through. The regenerated person has a flesh, carnal, sin nature. It is his old man that he must continually put off/crucify/deny/put to death/die daily/ etc. All these commands are in the Bible, but you ignore them all and think they are already accomplished. They aren't. If they were, we would be perfect and sinless. But that is not the reality: not according to Gill, Biblicist, or not according to the Bible, which is the most important authority of all.

3. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Pardon the interruption, but briefly what is the ""new Calvinism" DHK?

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

A Puritan said, "If you are going to adopt the Puritan beliefs, then you must adopt the Puritan life."
    New Calvinism is a basic reaffirmation of the Reformed movement minus the holiness of what the Puritans spoke of. They also have some doctrinal aberrations, but that would take up a thread in and of itself. I have posted some of it in the Calvinist forum. You can find it there.

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

#65 Iconoclast, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
  6. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No sir, you are the one who does not understand either Paul or Gill. Gill is teaching exactly what Paul is teaching in Romans 7:14-25; Gal. 5;16-17,25.

Paul explicitly states that there is a principle/law of corruption/sin indwelling the physical body whereby it wars against the soul through the "appetites of the flesh" which will not be removed from the redeemed until glorification of the body.

The reality of our present existence is that this indwelling principle/law of sin/corruption has not been removed from us - our bodies - and neither God or us are to view it has already removed, but it is the very thing we are commanded by God to mortify. If it were already mortified once and for all at regeneration, and if God regarded us as already saved as a WHOLE PERSON there would be no need for such commands as:

"Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof."

Because according to your view it cannot reign at all because it is dead once and for all at the time of regeneration, and so such a command to saved persons is frivilous. So if anything is laughable it is your interpretation.

Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Again, according to your interpretation these commands are a waste of breath because that occurred already once and for all and so saved people need not even worry about such a command because their WHOLE PERSON is already free yielding to unrighteousness and already yielded unto God.

You do not know the difference between perfect sanctification in spirit and sanctification by eternal purpose from progressive unfinished sanctification in soul and body in time and reality. They are not one and the same but your interpretation denies that.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 does not state a completed fact but a purposed goal that is not yet completed.

These truths are fundemental abc's and you don't grasp them.

If you are not dying "daily" to the law of sin operating in your flesh you are not growing as a Christian. Everytime you acknolwege you "can do nothing" without Christ and by faith depend upon the Spirit - filling - you are dying to self and acknolwedging that the law of sin is operating IN YOU and you are not DEAD to sin as a WHOLE PERSON but sin is very much alive IN YOU or else you would not need to confess inability to serve God and consciously submit to the Spirit!!!! The very fact you do so is acknowledgement that you are not past tense completed action saved as a WHOLE PERSON. If you deny this you are living in a dream world and in hypocrisy because every time you confess you can't do anything without Christ you are confessing that your WHOLE PERSON is not yet sanctifiied, saved from the presence, and power and consequences of sin.

#66 The Biblicist, Jan 20, 2015
  7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 1 John 4:2

Was that man above, in the flesh, carnal, sold under sin? Our sin not his own?

8. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The phrase "in the flesh" has a literal and metaphorical application in Scripture and to confuse them is to be confused.

In regard to the incarnation the Son of God literally dwelt "in the flesh" and so to deny that he LITERALLY dwelt "in the flesh" is to deny the true DUAL nature of Jesus Christ.

In regard to the spiritual condition of the human spirit, the phrases "in the flesh" versus "in the spirit" are REPRESENTATIVE (metaphor) of two opposite spiritual conditions of man. The man who is born of the Spirit has had his "spirit" brought under the dominion of the Spirit. The person whose spirit is not born of God is still under the dominion of the fallen nature.

Now, this does not refer to any other aspect of the human nature other than the "spirit" of man. It does not apply to the human body because the human body has not been born of the Spirit. The human body is brought under the dominion of the Spirit presently, only as when we daily crucify the law of sin operating in the body through submitting the body to the regenerated spirit in man under the indwelling power of the Spirit - resulting in using the body to glorify God. So dominion of the spirit over the human body only occurs NOW by the power of the indwelling Spirit being "put on" in our soul whereby we crucify the appetites of the flesh by manifesting the fruit of the Spirit in our life. In the resurrection the law of sin will be removed and then the body will be permenantly brought under the dominion of the Spirit - thus a "spiritual" body.

The human "soul" has not been born of God, but the appetities of the flesh wage war against the soul. Only as the "soul" PUTS ON the "new man" (born again spirit) by the power of the Spirit can the "soul" be brought under the dominion of the Spirit. So bringing the soul under the dominion of the Spirit requires INDWELLING of the Spirit in our renewed spirit. That is by being "filled" by the Spirit. When you are not "filled" by the Spirit the soul is operating AFTER the flesh or according to the law of sin that operates in our literal body.

The lost man operates under the dominion of the law of indwelling sin in spirit, soul and body or in an unregenerate condition apart from the Spirit of God and therefore is "in the flesh" which is a metaphor that represents unregenerate man's spiritual condition completely under sin expressed by through our physical body (words, actions).

#68 The Biblicist, Jan 20, 2015
  9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK has said Paul or the commentator John Gill are not speaking on the unsaved at all in Romans 8....here is DHK

For those who can read with comprehension....

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

For they that are after the flesh,.... By flesh is meant the corruption of nature; and they may be said to be "after" it, not all that have flesh in them, for the best of saints have it in them; regenerating grace does not remove it from them; there is a difference between being in and after the flesh, and flesh being in us;

but such who are as they were born, who have nothing but flesh, or corrupt nature in them, in whom that is the governing principle, whose minds are carnal, and whose whole walk and conversation is, such, are here meant: and these persons
    do mind the things of the flesh: not merely things corporeal, belonging to the welfare of the body; or things natural for the improvement of the mind; or things civil, as riches, &c. which may be minded and sought after in a lawful way; but things sinful, the lusts, works, and sins of the flesh: which they may be said to "mind", since they judge them to be good; the bent and application of their minds are to them; their affections are set upon them; they are solicitously careful to provide for them, and savour and relish them: nor is it to be wondered at, since these are natural to them; they are opposite to God and so agreeable to them; they have no mind, thought, affection, or relish, for anything else; and it is entirely owing to mighty grace, that any mind the things of the Spirit
    :

but they that are after the Spirit; not such who follow the dictates of their own spirits; or are outwardly reformed; nor all that have spiritual gifts; or profess themselves to have the grace and Spirit of God; but such who are born again, are renewed in the spirit of their minds, in whom grace is the governing principle: the work of the Spirit is begun in them, though not perfected: the Spirit himself dwells in them, and they walk after him; their minds and conversations are spiritual, though there may be a great deal of carnality in their hearts, thoughts, words, and actions, which is matter of grief unto them: these mind the things of the Spirit; the graces of the Spirit; spiritual blessings; the doctrines of the Gospel; spiritual sacrifices and services: these have some understanding of, can discern the difference between them and carnal things, judge and approve of them as right; have a great esteem and affection for them, and taste a sweetness in them. They have no mind naturally to these things; nor is the bias of their minds altered by themselves, nor could it; this is wholly the work of the Spirit of God; and these things are minded only because, and as they are agreeable to the spiritual part, the inward man.

#69 Iconoclast, Jan 20, 2015
  10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Biblicist

When God saves us ...He brings the whole man to the whole Christ.....
    No one said it did. Will you bring this false charge also as DHK likes to do.

Strawman alert!!! Where did I do this B ???

Three times here and a couple of more in your follow up post. Maybe it s time you show once where this was suggested....or is that too much to ask?

The only error here belongs to you and DHK.:thumbsup:

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Biblicist

Really B...well I just put Gills quote on rom 8:5.....looks like he says exactly what I have said.

No one said otherwise...in fact I referenced gal 5 in a previous post.

correct...I have not posted anything different.

I raised the issue of mortification already...God deals with us as whole persons, we are not Gnostics here. We are a new man in old flesh....not a new man,and an old man in old flesh.....it is not a good dog and a bad dog , and whichever you feed wins!
    "

Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof."

The reigning power of sin is definitely broken.....we are still able to sin, but sin shall not have dominion over you

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace

and so such a command to saved persons is frivilous. So if anything is laughable it is your interpretation.

If you cannot read Gill correctly, no wonder you cannot read my posts correctly. Let me say what I believe as you are another one who wants to be my spokesman......Where did I ever say we are no longer in the old body of flesh that is still able to sin? Show it.

Evidently I know it better than you do if this is thebest you can do.
    where did I say it was completed? show it.

You completely miss the teaching...not me.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
    (5-8) Further description of the antithesis between flesh and spirit in regard to (1) their object, Romans 8:5; (2) their nature, Romans 8:7-8; (3) their end, Romans 8:6.
    (5) They that are . . .—Those who not only walk (direct their conduct) according to the promptings of the flesh, but who are in themselves and in the whole bent of their dispositions the slaves of these promptings.

Do mind the things of the flesh.—Their whole mental and moral activity is set upon nothing else but the gratification of these cravings of sense. The phrase “who mind” is not confined to the exercise of the intellect, but includes the affections; in fact it includes all those lesser motives, thoughts, and desires which are involved in carrying out any great principle of action—whether it be selfish and “carnal” or spiritual

#72 Iconoclast, Jan 20, 2015
  13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I made my other post account of things you had said in this post without quoting this post. I put in bold that above and here:

The very fact you do so is acknowledgement that you are not past tense completed action saved as a WHOLE PERSON.

Here is what I do not understand. I assume you are saying that the WHOLE PERSON isn't currently saved, If so, I also agree. However, is the following an example from scripture showing in time when the WHOLE PERSON shall be saved?

Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 1 Cor 15:50,51

Is that not when the WHOLE PERSON inherits the kingdom of God?

Would not the WHOLE PERSON need to be born again to see and or enter the kingdom of God? Except, a man, a certain one...

Must one, who has been begotten/conceived by the Spirit, die daily, must one mortify the lust of the flesh, avoiding being miscarried, aborted, before birth as a WHOLE PERSON?

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Please read with comprehension. Look at the bolded part.
    Regenerated grace does not remove it (the old sinful nature) from them.
    Comprenez-vous?

This is speaking of the saved--straying from him.
    Note again the bolded part.
    The work of the Spirit has already begun in them...their minds and their conversations are spiritual...though there may be a great deal of carnality in their hearts, thoughts, words, etc...
    That describes THE CARNAL CHRISTIAN.

You seemed to have missed this part. At leas I didn't see it.
    Describing "the elect of God" he describes them as Carnal Christians.

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    [
    DHK....
    hint.... he is speaking of the elect there.....before they are saved, saying that

yet as considered in themselves, and whilst in the flesh, do not please him; for they are straying from him,

like in eph 2:1-3.......even as others...see it....

What am I going to do DHK......I cannot read it for you.......the part I had bolded in red...was speaking of unsaved persons....

here again;
    no puritan or reformer, or even the solid evangelicals spoke of or thought of a "carnal Christian" as it does not exist.

#75 Iconoclast, Jan 20, 2015
  16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Let's just consider the Scriptures Icon:

First in chapter six of Romans
    Romans 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    --The word “reckon” means: “count, reason, think on.”
    It requires an act of the mind. It is something that you must do. It is active, not passive.
    The word “reckon” is a verb which is an imperative, a command to be carried out.
    We are not dead, we, every day of our lives, must reason or think ourselves to be dead unto sin.

Then in chapter seven Paul describes the great struggle of this principle of sin, the sin nature that is within him. It is a struggle. The things he does he does not want to do. The things he doesn’t want to do, those are the things he does. It is an on-going struggle between the Spirit and the flesh.

He admits:
    Romans 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

He comes to the end of his struggle and cries out in despair:
    Romans 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
    --He needs deliverance from the flesh.

The answer comes from the next verse:
    Romans 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
    If he yields his mind to the Holy Spirit he will serve the law of God. The mind must be yielded. It must also be considered dead to sin. This is something that is not automatic, or positional, but that must be actively done every day even on a minute by minute basis as 2Cor.10:3-5 would suggest.
    --With the mind one overcomes the desires of the flesh, that is the flesh nature.

Then we come to chapter eight.
    This chapter deals with the two natures of the believer, even as Paul testified of in chapter seven:
    It is the flesh that wars against the Spirit: the flesh nature of the believer warring against his spiritual nature.

In verse one—there is no condemnation to the believer. Even if one gives into the flesh he will not lose his salvation. The general characteristics of a believer is one who walks after the Spirit but not of the flesh. These obviously are not absolutes. If they were we would all be sinless and many of the warnings and commands in the Bible totally irrelevant. For example, why would Paul write:
    “Reckon yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin,” if we are already dead unto sin?? It doesn’t make sense. The command would be redundant, a useless command. Why give a command to do something that is already accomplished?

Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
    --We have both freedom and victory in Christ. Under the law there was no freedom; no victory. The law brought failure not salvation.

Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
    --Christ brought would the law could not bring, and that is salvation. He paid the price that the law could never pay.

Romans 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    Context is key here. Paul is writing to believers. He includes himself here. The personal pronoun we is very important. It means “believers + Paul (and those with him). It does not include unbelievers. Thus, WE (believers) who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit, we are the ones that the righteousness of the law is fulfilled. The righteousness of the law is not fulfilled in the flesh, in those things that are carnal, in the desires of the flesh; neither in keeping the law, which is the main point here considering the context. The desire of the Judaizers was to keep the law.

Romans 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
    --The verse is straight forward. Either you walk according to the flesh or according to the Spirit. Paul includes himself (vs.4). It is written to believers. He is speaking of the two natures of man.

Romans 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
    --If you keep living according to the desires of your flesh your life will end in the same way that Adam’s life did—death—both spiritually and physical, but primarily spiritually as sin separates us from God.

Romans 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
    --This is the same teaching as James 4:4 and 1John 2:15,16. God hates worldliness which is a product of the carnal Christian. He does not subject his mind to the law of God (Rom.7:25), but rather to the desires of the flesh. It is his choice, even as a Christian.

Romans 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
    This truth is self-evident. It is evident in other areas of our lives as well:
    Psalms 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:
    --This is the same basic teaching but applicable to one’s prayer life.

These are commands. They are imperatives that we must do, and do daily:
    Put off the old man; put on the new man.
    Die daily.
    Deny yourself. Take up your cross daily.
    Crucify yourself.
    Reckon yourself to be dead to sin.

These are commands to be carried out on a daily basis. They are not completed actions.
    Sanctification is progressive not completed. These commands are to be obeyed because they help us in our sanctification, in growing in Christ, in living a holy life, in “putting to death the old man.”

This is what needs to be considered.

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK

So......you now want to ignore your new friend John Gill since clearly he said unbelievers are spoken of in Romans 8. I understand since you have wrote and here stand by your posting that it is all about Christians only.
    Here again is what Gill said;

ok.....the language takes some work and we must be careful with it.
    we are to think, we are to reckon something and there is a command to be carried out....You get it wrong however and here is why-

The first thing you do...is deny what scripture says...We Died....to sin[what does that mean?

How shall we, that are dead to sin

into his death?
    6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
    7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

here from some very solid teaching from Geoff Thomas;

2. EVERY BELIEVER HAS DIED TO THE DOMINION OF SIN AND DEATH.

What does God do when he makes someone a Christian? What is the Christian man and woman as a result of the life of God entering his soul? Paul tells the whole congregation in Colosse, “you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God” (Cols 3:8). Again he tells the Roman congregation, “We died to sin, how can we live in it any longer?” (Roms. 6:2), and he tells them in the next verses that they have been buried with Christ, and that their old self has crucified with Christ. So “Count yourselves dead to sin” he exhorts. So what is Paul doing here? I will tell you in a phrase you have never heard before because I made it up. He is teaching them the doctrine of definitive mortification! Let me explain that to you simply.

The very first thing that is true of the Christian believer, from an experimental point of view, is that he is a person who is – according to this teaching – dead. Paul is not saying to us to be dead; he is not urging Christians to die; he is not, at this point, enforcing any obligation at all; he is not yet talking about the mortification of sin, by which we put sin to death. There is no demand here at all; it is a statement, a proposition which Paul affirms to be true of every Christian believer – “you died.” Paul is not even saying, “You are dying.” That again is a biblical truth – believers are dying to sin, they are mortifying the sin that is in their members. And although that is truth, it is not the truth which is taught here, because what is before us here is not a process of dying, it is the fact of death. The apostle is not talking about a line, he is talking about a point, a definite moment at the new birth when every Christian died! It is not that they are dying. It is that they are dead. Definitive mortification! We say that it is an event not a process. We could say that it is punctiliar, not linear.

The killing work of God in our lives at salvation means this, as Paul says to the Colossians 3, we “have put off the old man.” We are not simply dying, we have died, and we have died in this sense, that we have done with the old man once and for all. Now Paul did not mean that we have finished with indwelling sin. He recognized that the power of sin continued in his own present Christian life. The good that he would he did not do and the evil that he would not do he found himself doing and he cried out, “Oh wretched man that I am who shall deliver me from the body of this death?” But Paul knew something else too, some thing that was very wonderful to him and enormously inspirational to us too, that the unregenerate man that he once was, the persecutor of the church and the blasphemer of Christ has now ceased to be. All the other Jesus-hating Pharisees would go searching for Saul of Tarsus in their conventions and gatherings and they would never find him in those places because he had gone! That Christ despiser is no more to be found.

[

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    you continued with this DHK
    pt2

[/QUOTE]

Now one can go on and expound and expatiate upon all the sin of which we are conscious in ourselves, how weak and inconsistent and hypocritical we are, but whatever the failings of every believer, and whatever power sin may exercise still in our lives as Christians, we are not the men or women that we used to be. There is not a Christian here who has the right to deem himself the man that he had once been, and what is more he doesn’t have the right to live like the man that he once was.
    The un*regenerate man, dead in sins, has ceased to be;

the carnal mind that was enmity against God, that has ceased to be.

The human being who was totally incapable of receiving the things of the Spirit of God; that has ceased to be.

The man who was dead in trespasses and sins is no more.

The believer is not an unregenerate and a regenerate man.

He is not a man with a new heart and an old heart.

He is, and he is only, a regenerate man.

He has, and he has only, a new heart.

He has only the one nature, the one human nature, transformed by the grace of Almighty God.

The man dead in sins, the carnal man, the unregenerate man – that man has absolutely ceased to be.

He is dead and gone. That is our past; that is definitive mortification.

Our regeneration and our union with Jesus Christ represent a break, and it is a decisive break, with what we used to be. So every Christian has died to the dominion of sin.
    That is the second biblical proposition; the Christian has died to the domination and tyranny of sin over him.

This good solid teaching is found here;

http://www.alfredplacechurch.org.uk...ion-its-nature-as-definitive-and-progressive/

#78 Iconoclast, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
  19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    pt3

So it is made perfectly clear to us in Scripture that we have to live our entire lives as Christians confronting the remnants of sin within us. What is the consequence of that? The consequence is strife; there is ongoing war between ourselves – renewed and indwelt by the Holy Spirit – and remaining sin. That conflict is what we meet in the Bible isn’t it? We see it in Galatians 5:16&17; “So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want.” Our flesh is fed up at its juxtaposition alongside our renewed spiritual nature, but the two cannot to parted. I as to my flesh and I as to my spirit are chained together. There is no possibility of a separation and no possibility of a truce. There is ongoing war; the flesh is always trying to prevent our obedience, trying to trip us up, turning down the thermostat of our hearts so that they grow cold, putting stumbling blocks in front of us each day, encouraging resentful critical thoughts of others, making us bitter and justifying our weak discipleship. There is ongoing conflict, and so we find that we cannot obey God absolutely perfectly as we would.

Again you find the conflict described in Romans chapter 7; “I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do” (Roms 7:15). Again he says, “For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do – this I keep on doing” (Roms. 7:18&19). He says again, “When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members” (Roms 7:21-23). James describes our defeats in this fight like this, “Each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death” (Ja.1:14&15).

So here is a battle we are engaged in that will never end until we see the Saviour. Face up to this reality. Know your enemy. That is half the victory, knowing who is attacking you. Don’t be surprised by him. The acorns of every sin are in the lives of us all. The sins that brought down Adam and Eve and Abraham and Lot and Jacob and Gideon and Manasseh and Jonah and Peter are all in our lives too. The sins that disgust you the most are in seed form in your life. The actions evil men perform that make you draw in your breath and say to your best friend, “How could anyone do a thing like that?” – I am warning you that the seed of that sin is in your life, and that in the right environment it would begin to grow.

It is because of this conflict that the Lord and his servants exhort us, “Watch and pray! Put on all the armour of God! Awake! Don’t sleep like others! Stand in an evil day and having done all stand! Yield not to temptation!” He exhorts his disciples because of the enemy within. There have been religious movements that have promised an end to the fighting between the Spirit and the flesh. A hundred years ago an American speaker and writer named Charles Trumbull wrote a book called The Life that Wins. He wrote in that book, “I have learned that as I trust Christ for surrender, there need be no fighting against sin, but complete freedom from the power, and even the desire of sin.” What an error! There is no secret that any preacher in all the world possesses by which any one of us can learn to escape from the activity of sin within us. I prefer roaring, spitting, shouting, angry sin to quiet sin. Sin is never so dangerous as when it is quiet. Sin is never less quiet than when it is most quiet. When sin is quiet we are to be most on our guard.

One of my teachers was Dr. Cornelius Van Til of Westminster Seminary, Philadelphia. He was in his seventies when he taught me. There was once a Saturday student conference and the IVCF group of students from the Philadelphia universities came to our campus and there was a question session at the end. A student got up and asked Dr Van Til a question. “Dr. Van Til, isn’t there a sense in which as you get older, sins that once bothered you no longer do so?” Van Til, his finger shaking, answered the question energetically. ‘Young man, that is incipient perfectionism. The greatest battles I fight now are the same battles I fought as a student.” The fight never ends; on our death beds we are fighting it.

So you will sympathize with a new Christian who says to you one day, “Before I was a Christian, in some ways, things seemed easier. Now I find I’ve got new problems: I find myself at war with myself.” You know your response, “Praise the Lord!” You’re glad to hear that, because that is how it should be. That is the mark of the activity of the Holy Spirit in your life challenging the corrupt and compromising patterns of your life which have gone on and on unchallenged until you were born of the Spirit. Of course it had to be psychologically easier before your conversion. There was no indwelling Spirit. You could sing, “I did it my way . . .” There was no pressure being brought to bear on you by God the Holy Spirit to change your sinful attitudes and ways. Once you are born from above immediately your flesh is no longer having its own way and it lashes out and it kicks against you. New problems, yes. An internal war, yes.

20. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Ok, God deals with us as a WHOLE person instead of addressing one part of us when he speaks to us, but that does not mean our WHOLE Person is born again. Our body has not been born again. Our "soul" (affections, will, intellect) has not been born again. Only the "spirit" has been born again (Jn. 3:6). I take it you don't believe in a threefold salvation (past, present future tense) for a threefold being (spirit = past; soul/life = present; body=future)?

I guess this is where we differ then. You don't believe that Romans 7:14-25 refers to the regenerate person. However, I think if you objectively consider this passage that the term "flesh" throughout this passage refers to the PHYSICAL body which has not yet been redeemed from the PRESENCE of sin and where the law of indwelling sin resides or the principle of corruption/death.

1. v. 14 "carnal" = "fleshly"
    2. v. 18 "my flesh"
    3. v. 23 "my members"
    4. v. 24 "the body of this death"

Therefore, verse 14 is simply defined by vv. 15-25 showing that the physical human body of the saint is not yet been glorified, and the presence of indwelling sin, the principle of corruption, the law of sin still resides in the physical literal flesh and from this vantage point it wars "against the soul".

The present tense throughout this passage demands this from the past tense in Romans 7:6-13.

Only the born again man can "delight in the law of God" - Rom. 7;22/8:7

Only the born again man has an "inward man" that delights in God's law

Only the born again man has a "law of my mind" that is inclined to do good.

Only the born again man "So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God"; - Rom. 7:25

NOW CAREFULLY CONSIDER THIS:

You have quoted Romans 6 where Paul addresses what you admit to be a born again person and where he says

12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

You have admitted that believers do yeild to sin and allow sin to reign through their members as instruments of unrighteousness.

NOW, WHAT IN THE HUMAN NATURE allows that to occur? The physical body certainly cannot make decisions like that? The only aspect of the human nature that can either RESIST or YIELD is the soul of man (intellect, will, affections). Hence, this proves that the saved man can be of TWO DIFFERENT MINDSETS, one that RESISTS sin and does not allow "your member as instruments of unrighteousness OR a MINDSET that does yeild and allows your members to be instruments of unrighteousness (thus sin is committed). What would you call the MINDSET from which such sin is not merely allowed but DETERMINED?? The Greek term translated "mind" in Romans 8:7 is more properly understood as "MINDSET".

However, what God has regenerated is CREATED in "righteousness and true holiness" (Col. 3:10; Eph. 4:24). There is no such thing as "true holiness" that can sin or can have the ability to sin. That is why Paul consistently attributes sin by the regenerated man not to the "inward man who delights in the law of God" but to the power of indwelling sin that can overcome the MINDSET to do righteousness WHEN THAT MINDSET IS NOT EMPOWERED BY THE INDWELLING HOLY SPIRIT. God is "true holiness" and he cannot sin. The human spirit is what is born of God (Jn. 3:6) not the soul of man (intellect, affections, will).

NOW look carefully at this next verse:

But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

What is the "law in my members" called by Paul in this passage? The law of sin

What does this "law" war against? Answer: "the law of my mind" - which means the "law of my mind" is antithetical to the "law of sin."

What is the consequences of this war against the "law of my mind" who resists the "law of sin" WITHOUT THE POWER OF THE INDWELLING SPIRIT???

"bringing me into captivity" is the answer.

But a lost person is already a captive of the law of sin, so this cannot refer to a lost person. However, it is this warring that brings "the law of my mind" (law of God - v. 22) into captivity to the law of sin thus producing a MINDSET for sin which is then executed through the flesh.

I wish I could help you see this, but only God can help you see the truth. However, before you simply write off what I said above, try to explain how the "mind" of a saved person can be changed into an administrative state of condoning and executing sin through the body IN CONNECTION WITH Romans 7:14-25 and "with the mind, I myself serve the Law of God"? How can a lost man have a "mind" that wars against the law of sin and how can a lost man "delight in the law of God" and distinguish himself "I" from the "inward man" that delights in that Law, thus BOTH "I" and "inward man" sharing the same delight unless the "I" represents the soul of man and "inward man" represents the regenerated spirit of man "created in righteousness and true holiness" where the law of God is inscribed at new birth (2 Cor.3:3). How can that "I" who serves God "with my mind" be overcome by indwelling sin in "my flesh" so that it will serve the law of sin instead of God???? Explain how their could be a war within the unregenerated man between two different laws (Law of God and law of sin) and yet no such conflict resides within saved persons but who end up with a MIND to sin????

#80 The Biblicist, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015