1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Knowing God's a 'personal achievement'?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by convicted1, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But none of what your wrote adds up to personal achievement. Drop that term and we have no disagreement.

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not want to think ill of someone just because we disagree. In the absence of the Lord changing our views I will never be in agreement with DHK, Skandelon, steaver, Rebel, Mitchell etc. And that is fine. No one has to agree with me, Icon, Protestant, Archangel, convicted1 etc. But there are times when, in the heat of debate, we use words and terminology that we later regret. Pride keeps us from retracting those words. In this case "personal achievement" is one of those terms. Perhaps Skan meant to convey a milestone in his/her Christian walk. The problem with "personal achievement" is that it gives the impression that the individual did something meritorious. In theology words mean things. Go back in church history and read up on the Arian heresy. That entire heresy hinged on one word: monogenes ("only begotten"). We are to be that precise in our discussion of theology.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

OTOH, we look at great men of God and we see what they have achieved, and marvel at their sacrifices in their goals and achievements.
    For example William Carey, a cobbler, set out to India, and translated the Bible or parts of it into 44 different languages. That is quite an achievement by any human standard. I am sure that he gives all the glory God. But personally I don't see the word "achievement" as wrong.
    We see what others have "accomplished," "achieved," "done," and all to the glory of God. It is just another synonym for works done or accomplished for the Lord, which we are commanded to do. (Eph.2:10).