1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Lordship Salvation Defended

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, again you misrepresent things. We are seeing a pattern here. I did not call you evil.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Most will offer a caricature of the teaching then beat that up for awhile:thumbs:

it is easier than working through all the related passages:thumbs:

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If a person has to do these things in order to be saved then salvation is no different from pagan religions. It is works-based.
    Salvation in Christianity is a free gift. It is by grace through faith, and not of works, including the above works.

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No one said anything about earning or working for salvation....

26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
    27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
    28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?
    29 Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him,

30 Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish.

31 Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand?

32 Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.

33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you have actually forsaken all sins and things to follow Jesus?

The truth in the Bible is that jesus is the Lord over all persons, saved and lost, and that you are confusing how one gets saved and how one then starts to become a disciple of his!

In your understanding, just when and how a sinner becomes a saint then?

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK instead of the false caricature veiled with a question mark why don't you deal with the scripture he posted. Show how it does not mean what he says it does and then show what it does mean.

The fact is you cannot.

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I believe you state the issue very it well!

Scripture reveals the sins of King David but Scripture also reveals his earnest desire for God.

Psalms 42:1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.

8. OldRegular

Excellent link Icon! I have read a number of MacArthur's books and enjoyed them. I had not read that explanation if how how perceives Lordship Salvation but I agree with what he says.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.
    The Scripture quoted deals with discipleship (as stated now many times), not salvation. No new believer, at least in this nation, immediately forsakes all that he has at the time of salvation.
    Let me ask you. Have you forsaken ALL that you have, ever in your life, in order to follow Christ?

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes..O.R......I do not see how any believer cannot agree with this teaching and remain biblical.I have heard him for years.He does not preach a works salvation or works sanctification at all....that is why I have requested quotes
    :thumbs::thumbs::type:

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bottom line here on this!

On what basis does the Lord forgive our sins, and save is, due to Him knowing and seeing how obedient that we will continue to be for Him, or due to Him deciding to save sinners period, and giving them eternal life knowing full well that they will never obtain sinless perfection while alive?

And just how much sinning and for how long negates and cancels out the shed blood of christ then?

12. OldRegular

I agree but I have seen a lot of people walk down the aisle of the Church during the invitation and whisper in the pastors ear. Afterwards the pastor will say: "so & so" accepted Jesus Christ as his/her saviour when he/she was a child and is now coming forward to "make Jesus Christ Lord of his/her life." I always thought that was nonsense and am glad you think so also!

13. OldRegular

Tell you what to do "y1". Go through each of the nine points that MacArthur presented and refute those things he said with which you disagree. Then perhaps you will answer your own question.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I also stand against easy-believism. There must be a change. It just doesn't come over-night. So I disagree with the LS theology.

15. OldRegular

Strange! Very Strange! I read the link provided by Icon and did not read a single word about Salvation by works. Could you please point out where MacArthur teaches Salvation by works in that link. I provide it again to save you the trouble of paging backward!

http://www.gty.org/resources/articles/A114/An-Introduction-to-Lordship-Salvation

16. OldRegular

I don't see where MacArthur states it comes overnight!

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The "New' DHK says we Cannot make Jesus Lord.....that is correct.

It is those who oppose Lordship who invite their false converts to walk the aisle a second time, telling them...you have him as savior, now make him lord.

That is why they attack the teaching of real actual salvation.

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    yes...Y1

here was the original 4 questions...answer them please, then go through the 9 pts offered and answer each one please:thumbs:

Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    which sins were you able to keep since professing your faith in Christ ?
    which sins did you not have to repent of ?
    what sins were you able to continue to practice
    which sins are you able to continue in in order that grace can much more abound

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will someone tell this guy he has no idea what the bottom line actually is!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.