1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Matthew 7:22-23

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonC, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess I need to go on the record and say that I am not a Calvinist.:laugh: It is rather humorous that I am accused of being one. I believe if you check with the Calvinists on this board they will confirm this.

I greatly disagree with much of their doctrine. However, what I abhor is people who cannot disagree without questioning the salvation of others. I believe far to many cals are rancorous, over bearing, and use attack dog style debate tactics. But they are all born again Christians and love the Lord.

Suggesting otherwise is childish and a sophomoric debate tactic.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently you have no idea what it means. At this point I will leave you to your misery.

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman, you are mistaken as far as "limited atonement."

It is not uncommon considering very few have truly invested time to actually discern the difference between atonement and propitiation. Look at the recent thread on the issue to actually see clarification.

But you should realize that nearly all schemes (accept full peligianism) do embrace some form of a limit on reconciliation (which is what atonement means).

It is not just a "calvinist" scheme, but even Christ states that reconciliation is limited to those who believe; the unbeliever is "condemned already."

Talk about trying to build a house of cards! Not only do you totally misrepresent what was written, but then you actually attempt to prove your own worth by misstatement and false representation.

This is too silly to even remark about other than it is what Scriptures teach as far as what is the walk of a believer or that of an unbeliever in reflection: "By their fruits you will know them."

Of course, your view must certainly mark who is and who is not truly a believer. Your view can actually look on the heart just as God does. :(

What evidence do you have of someone being saved?

What evidence do you have of you being saved?

Other than you and God knowing your own heart, you have no proof of anyone's salvation outside of the outward refection on display by that person's manner of living.

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman,

Who has the keys of life and death?

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Once again, look what R.C. Sproul said,

John Calvin said purity of life (works) is not improperly called the evidence and proof of election.

This is because of Limited Atonement. If you do not know if Jesus personally died for you, then you must trust in your faith itself as evidence that you are one of the true elect. And you must exhibit WORKS to prove to yourself you have true faith.

And look, that is exactly what Calvin said, he said your pure life not only testifies to others you are elect, but also "confirm themselves in this confidence". He is saying this is the foundation of your assurance or confidence, your faith itself.

This is not a person trusting in Jesus, it is a person trusting THEMSELVES. This is exactly what Jesus spoke about in Luke 18;

Luk 18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

I don't know I am saved because I do good works, I know I am saved because Jesus died for me, and that Jesus promised if I come to him he would save me.

If I had to trust in my works, I would be the FIRST person at BB to go straight to hell.

No, I rely upon Jesus, his work, and his promise to save all those who come to him. That is ALL I have.

I am not saved because I am faithful to Jesus, I am saved because he will always be faithful to me.

Calvinists must rely upon their works to convince and assure themselves they even have faith. Read for yourself.

A Calvinist MUST work to prove to himself he has faith. R.C. Sproul is directly saying that, and yet folks cannot see what is plain before their eyes.

Calvinism teaches a man to look at himself and trust in himself to know if he is saved.

True faith looks away from self and looks only at Jesus, just as the Jews who were bitten by the fiery serpents looked to the brass serpent on a pole to save them. You don't look at yourself whatsoever.

Jhn 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
    15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

You don't look at yourself, you look to Jesus.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wiman, you need to understand questioning the other side's salvation is out of order. Thus would just as easily apply to the Cals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.