1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Must we be calvinists?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Calvinist have convinced me that what they claim to believe is not good doctrine. They have convinced me that it is very bad doctrine.

What would I replace it with? To give oneself totally to Christ. To study Christ and his life, the way he interacted with people, the way he treated people, the way he emphasized the way we are to love and care for each other and then to do exactly that to the best of our ability in our own lives. We are to become as Christ-like as we possibly can. Jesus did not preach doctrine as such, he preached a life and a lifestyle.

If that which I have just said be doctrine, then that is my doctrine.

2. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

Is that your doctrine to become a Christian, or your doctrine after becoming a Christian? Just trying to understand clearly.

3. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is my doctrine of living a Christian life. As I have said in other posts, show me your works and I will show you your faith. Please do not confuse this statement with being saved by works. That is not what I am saying. But if a person's "faith" does not affect how they live their life then have doubts concerning and am not sure they have real faith.

As I believe each person is unique I believe that God deals with each person uniquely and each person comes to a living faith in the unique say God calls them.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Don't want to get too far off the point of the OP but doctrine is more important than love. If it wasn't, Jesus wouldn't have been so hard on the Pharisees. I have met many "loving" people who know nothing of Christ's doctrine.

Paul had no problem being "unloving" when the Gospel was being perverted. Neither did James or Jude. And neither should we.

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe Christ was as upset over their doctrine ... but in the way they misused religion for their own gain and glory ... and in how they did not love and help others. Christ was anti-legalism and anti those who refused to love and help their fellow man. An example is the parable of the Good Samaritan.

Paul was not Christ.

6. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

I believe that works are important after saving faith as well. We are created in Christ Jesus unto good works. It is one of the proofs of true conversion. Another is that the Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are the child of God. Another is that we love the brethren. Can both sides in the Calvinism debate love each other? That seems to be the question.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Believing in and teaching good doctrine, even fiercely, does not preclude one from being a "Good Samaritan".

But I'll leave it there. Too far off the OP and deserves a thread of it's own. God bless.

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see no reason why they cannot love each other. Neither theological belief is required for salvation in my humble opinion.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I believe they can. Being a believer in the DOG is not the first thing that I talk about when I meet other believers. I have many friends on both sides of the issue. It's not something I preach or teach on incessantly.

I think that faceless posting here on the BB tends to remove the humanity from the discussion.

10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't matter to me as long as they're saved. I don't see the word as having perjorative connotations. Why do Calvinists shy away from the label? Do Lutherans feel queasy being called Lutherans?

I think so. That is the linchpin of Calvinist theology.

11. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been under the impression that the "DOG" is a synonym for T.U.L.I.P.

Can you bring some clarity to this issue?

12. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

No. :laugh:

Seriously, "Calvinists", "DOG", and "Arminians" are as varied as their heights, weights, hair color and favorite beverages.

I prefer DOG to Calvinist due to the charged nature of using the name.

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So somewhat similar to the strategy of political liberals calling themselves progressives because they don't like the negative connotations attached to the word "liberal".

14. 12strings

12strings Active Member

It is generally a synonym. Some use it because they dislike being named after john calvin.

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and some Calvinists, er, doctrine of grace adherents intentionally obfuscate their theology so as not to be too overt about limited atonement and/or unconditional election.

I ran into this at the church I had been attending for several years when the pastor took another position in another state and the church was interviewing pastor candidates. There was an open Q&A session where the candidate was very evasive answering questions regarding TULIP. I even asked him point blank:

Me: "What, if any, responsibility does the individual have in salvation? Can a person know that they are saved?"

Candidate: "You know the Puritans simply assumed that it was up to God to save them. They believed that they wouldn't know if they were truly saved until they died."

It didn't take a seminary professor to deduce his true stance, one merely had to look at his list of favorite preachers and theologians--Jonathan Edwards, Charles Spurgeon, John Piper, etc.

He was hired and shortly thereafter the choir was gone, the building was "modernized", Sunday night worship was dropped, relatives were hired into ministry positions, the name Baptist was dropped from the church name (though he said he would never do that at the Q&A session), the beautiful pipe organ was no longer heard, contemporary music was the only type of music heard complete with barefoot band members. I left within months.

BTW, 12Strings, I have nothing against contemporary worship music, but the way it was executed here was offensive to me.

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Perhaps, but in my case I do not link my beliefs to Calvin but to the Scriptures. John Calvin does not speak for me on the issue, I speak for myself.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I can almost guarantee you that is NOT the stance of most DOG adherents. I believe that you most assuredly CAN know that you are saved.

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was my knowledge of it as well. But notice how he didn't tell me anything about what he believed, instead he deferred to the Puritans.

19. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it possible to be a member of the DOG club if you replace the "L" in TULIP with "U/A" or "not sure"

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is one of the key tactics recommended by the 'Founders' Calvinist Southern Baptist guys in their 'Quiet Revolution' guide to turning a Baptist church Reformed:

http://www.founders.org/library/quiet/quiet4.html

A Quiet Revolution
    Chapter Four
    Walking Without Slipping:
    Instructions for Local Church Reformation

Practical Suggestion #8 for Local Church Reformation:

"Avoid terms such as Calvinism, reformed, doctrines of grace, particular redemption, etc."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.