1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Not offending anyone

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not trying to offend, but the premise is not exactly represented by the facts.

Even here, we see that not too many are overly concerned with offending people in order to present what they feel to be correct. We could also see this in individual ministries. The leadership of the fellowship I am currently a member of takes a very strong, and offensive position against atheists and cults, liberal theology, and even liberal politics.

I would also suggest that while we see the caricature preachers who mean only to offend, it seems to me that who stands out more these days are those who preach a mealy-mouthed Gospel devoid of the Full Counsel of God. It is still an oddity when someone teaches there is no Hell, or that Annihilation is a valid doctrine. Becoming less true in the ranks, but, when someone departs to a message that is sugar-coated, they stand out.

God bless.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I should never be the one to offend. The Gospel is offensive to the lost. That is enough. I will not present it in an offensive way but instead with kindness and gentleness, I will present the truth. If there is offense in that, it is not because I'm being offensive but the Gospel has offended the sinner's heart. So let it be.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Smyth

Smyth Active Member

No, no, no, no, the "sinful" folk did not love Jesus. Sinfulness causes people to reject Jesus. No one "Sinful" loved Jesus. Not the corrupt Pharisees. Not the criminal on the cross. No one sinful.

It's also not at all the case that religion itself causes anyone to take offense to Jesus. Religion only makes Jesus relevant, for better or worse. The non-religious wouldn't care if Jesus claimed to be Christ. The Romans didn't care.

Also, in Judea, most people were religious, so it follows that most people who take offense would be religious.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Paul was wrong when he said:

1 Corinthians 6:9 Or don’t you know that the unrighteous will not inherit God’s Kingdom? Don’t be deceived. Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor male prostitutes, nor homosexuals,
    10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor slanderers, nor extortionists, will inherit God’s Kingdom.
    11 Such were some of you, but you were washed. But you were sanctified. But you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and in the Spirit of our God.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You misunderstand me. I said that those "living in sin" and do not know Christ. Yes homosexuals and others can repent of their sin and come to faith in Christ and be saved, but they will depart their lifestyle. This is what is called Lordship Salvation.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fair enough.

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think sometimes this is our falling... This so true TC Such were some of you... Yes and a thousands times yes to where we are going but never look at another and forget where you came from and where you were... Because only by the Sovereign Grace and love of Almighty God are each of us where we are now... Brother Glen

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, when you got saved you no longer sinned?

Aren't they still homosexual?

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of coarse I still sin.

10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The quote marks around "sinful" mean something. They mean that I was using the word in the same way that the gospel writers used it. For instance:

Mark 2:15-17
    While He was reclining at the table in Levi’s house, many tax collectors and sinners were also guests with Jesus and His disciples, because there were many who were following Him. When the scribes of the Pharisees saw that He was eating with sinners and tax collectors, they asked His disciples, “Why does He eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
    When Jesus heard this, He told them, “Those who are well don’t need a doctor, but the sick do need one. I didn’t come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Jesus is not claiming that the Pharisees are necessarily righteous or that the persons He was eating with were rebelling against God as sinner. He is talking about their status in society and how each group was perceived.

I made no such claim.

Not necessarily, but I won't argue the point.

It depends what you mean by non-religious. In the context of the above scripture, the "sinners" were people who were not accepted into the religious world. What they are experiencing is God's grace in the Person of Jesus, Who is concerned about them and does not hold them at arm's length. They cared very much Who Jesus was.

Your premise is that the Romans were non-religious. That is patently false. They generally were not following Judaism (although some were) and Jesus did not specifically target His teaching toward those outside the Jewish faith. Even a casual look at the Gospels shows that Jesus encountered a faithful centurion who believed in Jesus (Matthew 8:5-13). At least some of the Romans cared.

Yes, but you have completely missed my meaning of "sinner" (the meaning from the Gospels), so it's not like you've really made a point here.

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, so how do you differ from them?

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because I have accepted Gods gift of salvation, actually he elected me to salvation. I am a child of God and a member of the elect bride of Christ.

13. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

We don't need to go out of our way to be offensive but even just reading the Bible in church will offend some. Sad to say I've had pastors who, working their way through the Bible, would skip verses dealing with the forbidden topic so as not to offend. Not good.

We cannot give the good news of salvation if we cannot speak the bad news of sin. Whatever the sin. All sin. And yeah, today so many preachers want to "lead people to Jesus" without ever saying the only ones He CAN save are sinners.

Nickels and noses rule. Salvation of the lost loses.

14. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You preach the gospel and you will offend folks. It's the most offensive thing to mankind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends on how one defines those terms though, as the Gospel itself whn preached and taught will be sweet to those saved by it, but very offensive to those who stay lost!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are all sinners... Saved but still sinners... But instead of me explaining lets hear what the Apostle Paul has to say about in to the Roman brethren... Brother Glen

Romans 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

7:13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you have seen their hearts and know with absolute certainly that they are not among God's elect?

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know.

19. Smyth

Smyth Active Member

How do you, the elect, differ, regarding sin, from the unelect? How do you differ?

• Like Like x 1
  20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then how can you say they are condemned to hell?

• Winner Winner x 1