1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Smashing the "T" out of TULIP

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Apr 19, 2012.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, I never said God must double damn them, i said the "T" in TULIP would have to conclude that these needed double damnation. This is obvious.

By the answers that have been given so far, it appears our TULIP believers are the one's struggling to make sense of double damnation.

I clearly see what God is doing here, it is TULIP which cannot. TULIP creates a double damnation, which would be senseless and quite silly. If one reads the scripture without the premise of TULIP's "T" , one can see that God is speaking about those who freely rejected the love of the truth, and so that they will remain that way, God sends them a delusion so they no longer have a chance to believe and be saved.

There can be no other meaning here. It would be just plain dumb to suppose that God needs to send a delusion for damnation unto one who has no possibility of comparing Christ to Antichrist and deciding to believe Christ. They had their chance, now God is sealing their fate to be damned.

There is no need to wrestle with the scriptures, just believe the simple truth!

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Steaver, did you read the post above???? Apparently not!

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I mistakenly attributed the preposition "dia" instead of "en" to the word "through" in 2 Thes. 2:13. I was depending on memory and confused it with another text.

However, the preposition "eis" translated "to" defines the cause of salvation to be in subject of the preposition "eis" ("to") while the MEANS or SPHERE of salvation identified by the preposition "en" ("through").

4. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What the Calvinist struggles with is they cannot come to terms that God in his Sovereignty can do His perfect will while at the same time allowing mankind to have a choice in the matter. While this is a mystery and beyond what we can comprehend, nevertheless, it is what the scriptures reveal.

The Calvinist cannot comprehend these two truths coexisting, so they have taken a stand to reject the freewill aspect taught in the scriptures and accept only the Sovereignty of God aspect, when both are equally true. It is hard for many to understand the Trinity and the Godman, yet they are true.

John Piper, a Calvinist, written a book called "Spectacular Sins". It is a great read. While I am sure John is still firmly a Calvinist, his book points dirrectly towards these two truths. Although he may not even realize it. You should give it a read, it could possibly help you understand this paradox given in scripture.

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, I read it.

6. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

I never read where He had to double dam them, that is just your rhetoric ! They are born damned !

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Well, I guess the next question would be did you understand it? Do you recognize the progressive stages of condemnation of those born condemned already? Do you see those progressive stages spelled out in Romans 1:24-29? Do you the see the stage in 2 Thessalonians 2:10 that precedes the stage in verse 11?

Do you understand that no man enters this world as a believer but as unbelievers and thus condemned already because of unbelief (Jn. 3:17-18)?

Do you understand that John 3:16 adds to that initial condemnation when confronted with the truth of the gospel??

Do you understand the biblical principle more light more responsibility, more light rejected greater the condemnation?

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, I understand all of this. But this does not satisfy the scripture posted in the OP. It's pretty obvious that God would not need to send a strong delusion unless it was possible for these to discern and choose to believe.

9. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is more than just my rhetoric, it is the necessary conclusion if TULIP's "T" is correct. Obviously it is not and this passage of scripture reveals this.

10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Please read what I said again as it is obvious you did not understand what I said.

Since there is progression in condemnation there must be progression in exposure to truth and with each exposure additional condemnation. In the text, they are already condemned before they were exposed to the truth of the gospel. When they additionally rejected the truth of the gospel God handed them over to an additional condemnation described in verse 11. It is not they were additionally damned, but additionally were condemned. God gave them over unto another lie because they rejected the truth exposed to them in verse 10.

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, it doesn't say that they may be "additionally damned" but rather just damned. However, I do agree with you that it is because they rejected the truth exposed to them, I think we might be making some progress here! :praying:

12. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

progress is always a good thing:godisgood:

13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

The non elect are born damned? That is a hideous belief. But it fits right in with Islam.

#33 Michael Wrenn, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
  14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Think about it. Are not all men born in unbelief? Are human being naturally born into the world as a believer with no need of regeneration or conversion?

Jesus said he did not come into the world to condemn man because man was already condemned and the condemnation is due to unbelief. Hence, man kind is born condemned as they are born in unbelief which is the grounds for condemnation.

15. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

What you are saying is different from saying that the non-elect are born damned.

16. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

SBM has a warped hyper-calvinistic point of view. All men are born condemned under sin - the sin of unbelief at minimum and no man is eternally damned until they die without Christ.

17. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Oh boy...

Talk of double talk. Quit adding words to me that I didn't say or as if I've misrepresented you, OK?

Thanks.

Here's what you said and where I use 'must' as synonymous enough:

Seriously your whole entire problem is with what is happening in the text, with what God is doing, and somehow without rationalization nor reason on your part you blame this on Calvinism???

You're the one who brough up double damned, not me. You implied it in the text right off the bat then continued this diatribe, and make attempts to lay this charge on others, specifically me. Your accusation is untrue and unnecessary.

Nothing you've said has established that the T in Tulip concludes these needed double damnation, again, you brought that up and nothing in total depravity suggests this. It's all based on what you see in the text and have added to it.

See? :wavey: :laugh:

Wresting Scripture? Where? You really should apologize here as none of this happened from my side. Quit pretending. I provided you Scripture, and there was no wresting of it whatsoever, yet you bring in another false accusation.

Is this how you play steaver?

The thing that is obvious is that you've eisegeted Scripture to come up with an illogical fallacy, blaming calvinists and tiotal depravity as being Gods hand in sending strong delusion to those who are lost. That's just what the Scriptures happen to say, dragging total depravity through the mud has NOTHING to do with double damnation whatsoever, and your conclusions and illogical arrival at such a misnomer is bewildering to say the least.

Talk about twitsing and wresting and adding to things, as unfortunately it perfectly describes what you're doing in this thread. Why not put an end to your twisting and turning and attempts to make total depravity something it isn't, something it doesn't say nor teach, and making as if others came up with 'double damnation' OK?

You've brought it up, now you're trying to clean up your mess and blame it all on others. Wow. :wavey: :thumbsup:

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that our brother is having problems reconcilling God free will and ours...

Its goes away when one accepts the Biblical truth that the Lord ONLY is Sovereign in the sense that He can freely and always exercise His Will, we are sinners, and as such, cannot!

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have absolutely no problem with what God is doing in the text which is giving those who, after hearing the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ, has rejected it. Where the issue lies is whether or not these folks were able to choose the glorious gospel or if the doctrine of "T" forbade them.

Now if these folks had no other choice than to reject it because of "T" then what would be silly is God sending them a delusion so they would be damned since the doctrine of "T" already has them damned, thus, they are getting damned twice according to the position of "T". And this passage has nothing to do with them being "more damned" and the text makes this perfectly clear.

So the passage does not teach double damnation, it is the belief in "T" that would cause this double damnation to be.

20. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

They are already damned, and such is also the state of the elect until they come to the knowledge of the truth, which they most certainly will, 2 Timothy 2:8-10. It is only your illogical fallacy coupled with your eisegetical 'interpretation' that makes it 'double damned'. This is something you've come up with and has nothing to do with Calvinism nor with total depravity. It's a total misnomer on your part, and I am not the only one seeing your problem with what God is doing in this passage.

Not one person can come to God without Gods enabling, gift of faith and gift of repentance, so it's not a free will issue as you thought, instead it is all God.

He saves, He chooses, He knows all and His plan will come to fruition. Many have 'made a choice' and there is no change in their lives and no new creation, and we see the poor results of 'free will choosing' in the church today.

I'll take it you're skipping over your false accusations upon me for a reason. I really don't appreciate your false accusations thrust upon me throughout this thread, nor your misrepresentation of total depravity, nor of the Calvinist brethren. Not one thing in either the text nor of your argument indicts Calvinists whatsoever. You're way off track and your OP is a 'gotcha' that fell flat on its face.

An apology on your part is in order. Not once did I wrest Scripture per your charge. You cannot show one instance where I've wrested Scripture, yet others have shown you your error.

I forgive you, but you should own up to your accusation. It's becoming of those professing Christ.

#40 preacher4truth, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012