1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Texas Governor Calling For Convention Of The States To Rein In Washington

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Oct 4, 2016.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for proving my point. I never called anyone a "fool," nor any group "fools" nor did I say anyone on the BB lacks reading comprehension.

It is good to see you standing with me against false accusations. :)

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh you better look again.

3. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And thanks, again, for the additional proof I did not call anyone a fool nor did I say they have a comprehension problem. (Asking a question is not an accusation. And having an opinion is not an accusation.) :)

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

A clear accusation is made when one says "you have a reading comprehension problem"

Even if there is no clear implication of a reading comprehensions problem by asking that question (and there is) then it is clear that by the comparison made to "revmwc" you accused "revmwc" of having a reading comprehension problem. So yes you have a history of this.

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A text, out of context, is a pretext. I said "I have come to the unfortunate conclusion." A conclusion is not an accusation. A conclusion is a conclusion.

No, again, context is your friend. I asked the question (a question is not an accusation, it is a question) if he had been taking reading comprehension lessons from you. That assumes nothing about either of you. It is just a question. I was asked at a symposium at STSCS Thursday if I taught Theology. That was not an accusation. It was just a question. :)

Sorry but your own postings disprove your theory. :)

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, it is a clear insult. Framing it in the "context" a "conclusion" does not diminish that you have said someone has a "reading comprehension problem". In other words you have made a distinction without a difference.

You not only asked a question making a clear implication but you also made a comparison with the assumption that it was already understood the revmwc has a reading comprehension problem. In on statement which included a question you leveled an insult against two people.

Now you are trying to divorce your "question" and your "conclusion" from their implications and their contexts. Bill Clinton did a very similar things when he said "it all depends on what is is."

You insulted them Period.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, I didn't say anyone had a reading comprehension problem. I came to that conclusion. My conclusions do not constitute facts. They just constitute conclusions. And conclusions are not accusations. They are just conclusions.

No, I have understood the semantical difference between a conclusion and an accusation. It is both a distinction and a difference.

Not at all. I just asked him if he were taking reading comprehension lessons from you. That question does not pre-suppose you lack reading comprehension, even though you chose to understand it that way (you know yourself better than I do). Most people would assume you had good reading comprehension skills and are able to impart that skill set to others.
    No, a question is not an accusation nor is it an insult. It is just a question.

Sorry, you are assuming a fact not in evidence. If you keep this up I may have to conclude that you may lack . . . . - uh, well, never mind.

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have. It seems to me Justice Scalia is putting his faith in the ratification process by the states.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you have learned to mask your insults by asking questions and drawing conclusions. This has got to be one of the saddest defenses of poor behavior I have ever seen on this board. Ever.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you agree with TCassidy that he has not insulted anyone by masking them with saying "asked a question" and "I came to a conclusion"?

11. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was not the point of my post you quoted. You asked me to read the link to Justice Scalia's opinion on the topic. I did and gave you what I took away from it.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, I am asking you apart from that not because of that. Do you believe TCassidy has insulted people by implying, asking questions, and making conclusions as to his view of their reading comprehension?

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has more faith in politicians than I do. Especially when we consider the last election cycle going strongly blue.

But, on the other hand, the majority of the state legislatures are red. But in some of those legislatures the red has a very slim majority which could easily change who dominates after this coming election cycle.

I still think it is better to leave well enough alone. Just obey the constitution we already have and the problem would be solved.

I like what the late Justice Scalia said about the constitution. "The constitution is not a living document. It is a contract. It says what it says and it doesn't say what it doesn't say." (Or words to that effect.)

If we could just get congress and the blue state legislatures to know and follow what it says our country would be a lot better off.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that's a pretty stupid statement. Are you stupid?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For crying out loud Tom just own it and move on. This is sad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I value your opinion. Of course. Really. :D

More often than I should be. And you? :D

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But I am having so much fun! :D:D:D:D

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same. :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you should know better than expect me to answer such a question in an open forum. I'll just say this at times Tom can be a punctilious pendant. He, in many ways, is this Board's version of William Buckley.