1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Those who concede errors in the Scriptures n order to remove conflict with science

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That is why the Bible is our standard and not science. We must have our priorities straight. Not the Bible, not Jesus Christ ever changes. They are the same: yesterday, today and forever.
    However science changes daily, and often contradicts what it once believed.

For example, "The life of the flesh is in the blood."
    They have known that since Moses' time.
    But they didn't believe that or apply it during the time of President Washington did they? They "let out" his life, via blood-letting, which was the cause of his death. Science changes. It often is wrong. The Word of God is never wrong. It is absolute.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

http://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2013/01/02/for-a-truly-happy-new-year-cultivate-sustainable-happiness/

Modern research; recent discoveries. :rolleyes:

Had they read the Bible Solomon would have told them these things thousands of years ago.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

"gb" you obviously have a problem with the inerrancy and validity of Scripture. Many people do making themselves the arbiters of what is or is not the Word of God. Some of your posts also indicate that you may have a problem with the truth of the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. I hope that this is not the case. I would remind you what the Apostle Paul tells all doubters.

1 Corinthians 15:15-19
    15. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
    16. For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
    17. And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
    18. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.
    19. If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have no problem with resurrection. The OP is not about the resurrection but about scripture. I have done a lot of historical study on the resurrection and have taken a look at extrabiblical materials as well that provide a historical account of the resurrection. I would say that many who say they believe the Bible know little about how to interpret it and have a ignorant "repeat after me" theology that is nothing more than laziness. Until you have invested time in the study of Judaism during that time then you will continue to repeat an enlightenment theology that never existed until Christianity became a what does it mean to me type of interpretation in recent years. The correct interpretation is not about what it mean to me but what does it mean. So one must go back to how a Jew would have interpret it at the time and a how a believer who came out of Judaism would have interpreted what was wrote. We cannot teach the Bible with a Greek mindset but we must take on a Jewish mindset to fully understand the words of scripture. That kind of thing get rids of the critics who would talk about scripture having errors. For example why does Matthew talk about having tow of everything but the other gospels have one. At face value that would seem that one of more is wrong. If one takes into account the historical context then the difference can be easily explained. In the past few years I have met men who were leaders in churches who have left the faith because they did not get answers. One more recent was an elder in a large evangelical Bible believing church and he told me that he asked his pastor about some questions he had and his pastor could not provide them. I have dealt with men who went that same route and returned to the faith after dealing with them and providing answers on how to interpret. I start with how we communicate with people today and then go back in time to scripture. It is about teaching them to think like a Jew not an enlightened American who think like Greeks rather than Jews of the past. Interpretation is not about how I think now but about how they thought then. If one studies the Talmud he will find so much of the same teaching that Jesus taught in the Gospels. Once one sees that they he will easily understand the importance of the Law and how God used it. So many people today want to hear a does of how to live on daily basis and little about how to interpret and understand scripture. They read the Bible for personal edification and not understanding. The focus is on self edification and not on Christ. If people read it for understanding then those who write and publish devotionals would be out of business.

5. OldRegular

It appears that you are saying only a scholar can understand Scripture. I reject that entirely. In fact it often seems that some scholars become so enamored of their own learning they tend to reject Scripture!

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It may seems like it takes a scholar because very few have been introduced to the world Jesus lived in and the background of both He and His disciples. It does take someone who invests their time in reading and studying rather than reading the latest church leadership guru. There are books written in the last few years that are easy to read and understand which open up the world during the time of Jesus. They are written for the typical lay person. A few good books that have been recently written are: Jesus: How the Jewish Words of Jesus Can Change Your Life by Lois Tverberg, Ann Spangler and Ray Vander Laan
    Listening to the Language of the Bible by Lois Tverberg and Bruce Okkema
    Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewishness of Jesus Can Transform Your Faith by Ann Spangler and Lois Tverberg

These are a very good introduction to the subject. I would think anyone who has made it through junior high would find them easy to read.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I find that is true by anyone who is focused on self but not on Jesus.

8. OldRegular

I read nothing by the latest Church leadership gurus. I read nothing by those who take the approach "How to Understand the Bible is Six Easy Lessons". I use commentaries with caution and doctrinal or theological studies carefully; but always mindful that God is not constrained as to whom he reveals the understanding of Scripture. I study Scripture, believing it is the inerrant Word of God, always mindful of what Jesus Christ told the Apostles: But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. [John 14:26]

#188 OldRegular, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  9. OldRegular

I have observed that ego often hinders the work of the Holy Spirit!

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you believe that then where do you place teachers in the Body? Teachers are gifted in teaching so that people understand. I believe that God is not constrained in His work but He limits the giftedness of each person. His work is done through the body and not everyone being the same. Scripture declares that the pastor is not just to be one who teaches but one who is particularly good at teaching.

What I find interesting that a lot of what Jesus taught was already been taught in Judaism. For example the same things Jesus taught in Matthew 6:14-15 and Luke 17:3 was also taught in Judaism. [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

#190 gb93433, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF they were to disagree, which holds the truth regarding the "facts", the scriptures or what secular scientce has to say on the matter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.