1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Does Repent Mean?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by InTheLight, Dec 29, 2015.

?
  1. 1. Turn from your sins.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. 2. Feel sorry for your sins.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3. Have a "change of mind" about Jesus.

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. 4. Feel sorry for your sins and turn from your sins.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. 5. Feel sorry for your sins, resolve to quit sinning, and endeavor to live a more upright life.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. 6. Other (explain)

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are trying to derail the topic. Keep this discussion confined to the OP. Any other moderator would have given you an infraction by now for trying to derail the thread.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The topic is about repentance but yet when we look at post 38 ,57 and 59 we see that you're talking about your version of what faith is and who who can have faith and what is the gospel
    you didn't deal with repentance at all in any of those threads so you open the door to the other part of the discussion my first 5 or 6 posts were all about repentance .
    You change the topic to faith and your version of the gospel and we responded and you couldn't respond as brother Joseph pointed out

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Whether it is you or bro. Joseph, it doesn't matter. If you are going to sit there and ask what about the trees and the rocks, don't they have faith? Stupid question don't deserve an intelligent answer. An infant has as much chance of repenting as a tree does. So you are off topic. Go start another thread if you want to know, but don't derail this one. Stop your complaining and carry on with the topic of this thread.

4. beameup

beameup Member

I did a concordance search and found no "doctrine" (teaching) on repentance in Paul's Epistles (Apostle to the Gentiles).
    I can clearly see the need for repentance on the part of Israel, starting with John the Baptist. In the case of Israel, it was necessary to "repent and be baptized" in order for God's Kingdom to be established on the earth. [see Isa 60-62]
    Since I am not an Israelite, the teaching of "repentance" is not applicable to me; it is "for information only" (concerning Israel/Israelites).

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    Not of works, lest any man should boast.
    Eph 2:8-9
    Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
    Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and
    hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: Col 1:12-13 It's a "done deal".

#84 beameup, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  5. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

There is no way that a person has had a true 'change of mind' about YHWH in the flesh and hasn't turned from sin, note Matthew 11:25ff where Jesus only reveals Himself to whom He wills and then they are invited, and accept His yoke and burden which includes freedom from sin. Those who know the Father and the Son (the biblical language here) are released of their former bondage, sin, because God has brought them to repentance, (note Romans 2:4) now their yoke is freedom from that from which God turned them, John 8:31-36. It's what He came to save His people from, Mt. 1:21. It is highly doubtful any person has experienced true conversion and has not been turned from sin, I Thess. 1; Acts 2:38ff.

Note the following Scriptures:

This speaks of the converted: 'So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.' Romans 6:11. This shows the change of mind about Christ which has caused one to turn from his lifestyle of sin.

Here are the lists of those, and the consequences of those, who have not turned from their sin but are deceived and their profession is consequently false; 1 Cor. 6:9ff, Galatians 5:19ff. Note the context here is 'do not be deceived' and is written to professing believers. Obviously the casual gospel was popular back then, and people were deceived, still practiced sin, probably had a change of mind about who Jesus was, mental assent to facts, but their lifestyles denied genuine conversion.

Is it any wonder that with the false message of repentance, and people guaranteed heaven, knowing there need be no change of mind about sin, which to them is interpreted license, continue on that path which He came to save them from? Or, ever wonder why we have the bumper crop of false professions of faith along with the telling evidence of false conversion that comes with it?

People are saying here that it is merely 'a change of mind' in the understanding of Christ, His office, His Person etc.

Here is that change described:

And he said to man, ‘Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to turn away from evil is understanding.’” Job 28:28

I don't know how any assume that a change in mind of who the Christ of God is, mitigate that down to something insignificant which involves no change of path, or, no repentance of their sin. This ideology shows that there is no genuine biblical fear of God, and since there is no genuine fear (only a dictionary definition of reverence dumbed down to 'respect') there is no change of lifestyle which is what His repentance accomplishes. But we are told these people had an (allegedly) God induced change of mind concerning who He is. Yet there is no 'change of mind' (repentance) reflected in the aforementioned lives whatsoever. Do not be deceived.

This false message that shows repentance as merely some dictionary definition of the Greek phrase is not all that old. But it is a Satanically induced cunning deception. No one can argue from a contextual use of Scripture that repentance is not turning from sin. Again, do not be deceived.

#85 Internet Theologian, Jan 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Internet Theologian

I'd throw out that concordance, it looks like someone from the FGT camp got ahold of it. :)

#86 Internet Theologian, Jan 1, 2016
  7. beameup

beameup Member

Perhaps you could provide us with the references in Paul's epistles where he addresses this issue (in regard to the issue of salvation).

But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me [Paul], as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; Galatians 5:7 (there is a difference in the two).

8. Internet Theologian

I doubt it would help you. The passage you've quoted isn't helping your cause either, as it is simply declaring to whom Paul was sent and has nothing to do with repentance. Paul in fact did mention repentance in his magnum opus dealing with repentance in salvation, and also what repentance looks like. Another thing you should have considered in your perfunctory search and conclusion is that the epistles are dealing with the already converted, not with the lost masses as per Gospel instruction. Therefore the doctrine and instructions contained therein are for the elect, they've already been brought to repentance. :)

By the way your 'there is no difference in the two' is a false conclusion you've been taught. The passage shows distinction only in recipients, not in message. There is only one Gospel. The theory you are presenting is a newer ideology come down the pike and someone has taught you another gospel.

#88 Internet Theologian, Jan 1, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

Hi Brother Beammeup,

How do you reconcile your belief that repentance was not a doctrine for Paul to preach to the gentiles as he did not not mention it in his epistles with this, "21 (For all the Athenians and strangers which were there spent their time in nothing else, but either to tell, or to hear some new thing.) 22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens (he is addressing the Greeks), I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious....30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead." (Acts 17:21,22,30, 31)

Verses 21 and 22 show he was addressing the Greeks, verse 30 he tells them God has commanded repentance, and verse 31 shows the reason repentance is commanded is because of judgment for the last day. This proves repentance is a doctrine to be preached to the gentiles as well as the Jew, therefore we see Paul did preach repentance to the unconverted gentiles, but the reason it is not mentioned in his epistles is because he was writing to those already converted.

Happy New year,

Brother Joe

#89 BrotherJoseph, Jan 1, 2016
  10. Internet Theologian

Key wording brother: 'Paul's epistles'.

11. BrotherJoseph

Hi Brother Beammeup,

As Bro Int theologian has already pointed out those churches in the epistles of Paul were already regenerated church members who had repented and placed faith in the gospel after hearing it preached. Also, that continuing ongoing repentance is still needed by a believer is seen in the Corinth epistle, "For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season.9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner..." (2 Cor 7:8-9).

Notice here Paul made those at Coritnth sorrowful leading to repentance by his written epistle, "though I made you sorry with a letter..."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. BrotherJoseph

I know he used that distingishment in wording brother, but he tried to do so to extrapolate that to prove that repentance was not a doctrine to be preached to the gentiles by Paul, thus I went to Acts to show him that Paul indeed preached repentance to the unconverted gentiles in Athens in Acts 17.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BrotherJoseph

There is, but one gospel. This is why Paul said those are accursed if they preach any other gospel. Gal 5:7 was simply to show that Paul was sent to the gentiles and Peter the Jews.

Now, I happened to differ from some on the board in that I believe the Greek definition of repentance is a change of mind, however that change of mind about how one is justified, their view of Christ's atoning work, and their view on wanting to serve God by turning from sin will surely result in a changed lifestyle. This is why there is not one example of a born again child of God in the New Testament who continued to live in a life of gross sin after becoming born again (including gentiles who turned from idols).

I would make a nuance distinguishment between the gospel and repentance and faith. The gospel is simply the good news declaration that Christ came to save sinners by His death and resurrection. It is an accomplished fact of history (see1 Corinthians 15:1-4 and notice how repentance and faith are not mentioned). However were a regenerated child of God is present when the gospel is preached, as a result of regeneration, repentance and faith in the gospel will always be a response to the gospel message preached to it's hearers. Repentance and faith are sure responses of regenerated souls to the preached gospel, but not part of the gospel. The gospel is simply the good news to His people that Christ came to save sinners by His death and resurrection and has accomplished His work. (1 Cor 15:1-4).

#93 BrotherJoseph, Jan 1, 2016
  14. Internet Theologian

Yes, that was my intent for pointing it out. Their argument is invalid and he most likely would have said of your prior post 'that was in Acts, not his epistles'. That is the erroneous argument, that it, repentance, isn't in the epistles. But even that argument isn't valid as Paul does mention the grave importance and necessity of repentance in his magnus opus on the Gospel.

Happy New Year brother!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BrotherJoseph

Good point brother. It is going to be hard going back to work on Monday, I have been off for the last two weeks (almost feels like I am retired lol).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Speaking of repentance. ....some need to repent of seeking to fragment scripture.......they say.....do not use the book of Acts, do not use the ot....do not use the gospels.....
    Maybe for the new year they could Repent of this falseness and use a 66 books.

#96 Iconoclast, Jan 1, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Internet Theologian

...and one talked of context in a passage in Proverbs in another thread to prove a point (really to disprove and pit a verse against another that I believe you had used, and that properly) when there was no continuing subject in its context. Not all Proverbs have a continuing context but move from thought to thought. The point one attempted to make was then pointless.

But we are talking the work of God in repentance and that is His business and some will do just that if He wills.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Internet Theologian

My wife has put me to work today refinishing a desk for our daughter. :)

19. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We 'hypers' recognize a 'default manifestation' with every child of the heavenly Zion regardless of whether they've heard the law or the gospel or not:

13 for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified:
    14 (for when Gentiles that have not the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are the law unto themselves;
    15 in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them); Ro 2

It seems few ever wonder how there could have been more of God's children OUTSIDE the Mosaic Covenant than there were included in it.

20. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regeneration. a new creature is created in Christ.

I believe there will be a change, though growth does take time though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.