1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Specific Things Today Would We As Believers Need Faith For?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JoReba, Feb 28, 2012.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Back a couple years ago, I was at work, and I heard two co-workers talking about a nurse that worked on the floor. They stated that this nurse's daughter had a tumor and when they did her surgery, she'd be deaf. At first it worried me, not knowing if this girl was saved or not, and by being deaf, it could make it harder in regards to hearing the Word preached if she was lost. All of a sudden, I had this "feeling" come over me that she wasn't going to be deaf after the surgery. When one of them left, she was a sinner, the one who remained, I asked her what they were talking about(she is a christian). After she explained to me the circumstances, I told her to not think that I am trying to be a prophet, but I have this feeling she's not going to go deaf. Later that night, I went and spoke with the nurse, and she told me what was wrong. Her daughter was already deaf in one ear, and the tumor was on the side where he hearing was. When they removed the tumor, she would lose her hearing as well. They were going to cut around her ear(through the skull), and remove it that way. I then told her what I earlier told my co-worker. So, the next morning, I went home, and sent emails, and even requested prayer on here in the prayer forum. I took the nurse's cell phone #, because they did the surgery in Los Angeles; that was the only place they did this type of surgery.

About 3-4 weeks later, I called her to find out how everything went. Here's where faith comes to fruition. When they got to the hospital in L.A., the dr's took another look at her MRI on disc, and they stated they must have looked at the MRI backwards. They said the tumor was on the side where the hearing was gone, and not on the side of her good ear. She told me that she still had the MRI disc, and that I could look for myself, but she stated emphatically, that the tumor was on the side of her hearing originally. I did not need to see it to believe it, because I know our God is a miracle worker.

W/O faith, we are useless weapons in God's army. W/O faith, we can not utter up one prayer that will be answered. W/O prayer, none of the sick can be healed. W/O faith, we are hopeless, and helpless people.

And FTR, this nurse's daughter today, has 80% hearing.....not bad for someone who was supposed to be deaf after her surgery, eh? Our God is an AWESOME God!!! :godisgood::jesus::godisgood::jesus:

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In Hebrews 11.3 we read:[/FONT]
    By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.
    Long before those words were written, the bible as it then was, the Old Testament in other words, had proclaimed that same truth. Even so, Hebrews 11.3 says that it is by faith we understand that the worlds were framed the word of God (and so on). So although the writer and the original readers of the letter to the Hebrews did have the OT to tell them about Creation, believing it still required faith.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The first three words of the OP are: “As believers today”. Later comes this question: “Why would such a powerfully enabled and well informed Believer need Faith today for much of anything?”[/FONT]

Although I lay no claim to a knowledge of Greek, I am told that the Greek words translated in English bibles as "belief", "believer", "believe" and the like are precisely the same words as those translated "faith," "faithful", "faithfully", etc. If that is so (and I am sure someone with a knowledge of Greek will correct me if I am wrong :laugh:), then the OP's question would mean: [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]“Why would such a powerfully enabled and well informed Believer need belief today for much of anything?” You cannot be a believer without believing, without faith.[/FONT]

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Is not tho op asking us why we even need faith today? It sounds like he/she is saying we don't need any.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, the times that the Apostles were warned not to go places were few and far between. It was exceptions - not norms.

5. Moriah

Moriah New Member

It is not the point that it was not the norm.
    The point is that Jesus did warn against a dangerous situation. DHK was trying to make JoReba feel as if her faith was so little and maybe even ineffective. Sometimes a baby Christian will feel that they are not living the life of a Christian unless they put themselves in risky situations.
    There are true Christians living regular lives in the Lord doing what they are supposed to do.

6. mandym

mandym New Member

Christians should be living a life of risk. Risk our comfort, our lives, our finances, everything. If we all lived lives of risk how many more lives would be reached. Its time to get out of the boat.

7. Moriah

Moriah New Member

[personal attack edited]

#27 Moriah, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
  8. mandym

mandym New Member

#28 mandym, Feb 29, 2012
  9. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I was only answering you according to what you said what all Christians should do. For you to answer back to me the way you did is indeed mean spirited.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

First, you are not God; you don't know my motive.
    Second, it is apparent you don't know what "a regular life in the Lord" is.

Why not go to a mission field, to a third world country, an Islamic nation where Christians are persecuted for just being a Christian and find out what "a normal Christian life" is like. You live in America, and have no idea what the norm is for true Biblical Christianity.

What do you think Paul meant when he said:
    "Yea all who live Godly shall suffer persecution."
    Perhaps if you are not suffering persecution you are not living a Godly life.

11. mandym

mandym New Member

It isn't. It has been edited.

thanks.....................

#31 mandym, Feb 29, 2012
  12. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I have the Spirit of God.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

13. Moriah

Moriah New Member

The accuser is back and active.

14. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Well, I certainly know what you believe it consists of after reading your posts. It must of necessity consists of sin on a daily and regular basis. :rolleyes:

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What accusation? I gave you a challenge. You don't like the challenge of the mission field? You don't like the idea of sacrifice, the very thing that Christ demands of his disciples?

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The one who believes in sinless perfection has not much to contribute in this conversation does he?

And since you don't quote me; don't slander me.

#36 DHK, Feb 29, 2012
  17. Moriah

Moriah New Member

DHK,
    I have also read that you said that.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Then you will have no problem quoting me will you.

19. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

You have this slander business going in reverse osmosis DHK when you suggest I am slandering you and in reality I am doing nothing other than stating in my own words what you have stated in the past. Are you going to suggest to us now that it is not your normal walk to sin every day, and that has not in fact been your testimony? If I am misstating the testimony that you have given concerning your own life of daily sin, just say so and I will recant with joy.:thumbsup:

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Stating in your own words is not stating accurately what I believe. And that is misrepresentation of what I believe.
    Do I "walk" in sin every day? No.
    Do I "sin" every day. Yes.
    You have misrepresented me.
    You sin every day just as you have on this very post.