1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Who is Rick Warren, really?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I hope this was said in "jest" and it simply escaped me.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Impossible to know given your disdain for RW
    He's a brother in Christ. If anyone should loosen up it should be those starting thread after thread pulling him and his methodology through the mud. I do have a copy of PDL, and it has been read exactly one. Not my favorite book, but also not heresy as it is being pinned on him

3. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this Catalyst video(only the second one worked.). This is exactly what I mean by Warren being a better motivational leader or trainer than a pastor. This guy knows more from Peter Drucker than he does the Bible it seems. He trains pastors and just gives good stories and such. He really likes to talk about himself doesn't he.

If found it strange Warren's Great Grandfather was sent to America by Spurgeon. I'm sure Charles rolls over in his grave at what happened to his missionaries grandson.

The church I left because it was totally sold out to be a little Saddleback has now changed from Pastors to having Catalysts? Gee I wonder where they got that idea. I bet if Warren said pray to Allah his follwers would. Scary times we live in.

4. SolaSaint

All I can say is if you had been what I had been through you may see him in a different light. No one is calling Warren a heretic, just misguided and possibly deceived.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

On what authority is your churches failures used to demonize the man? I've known of reformed churches to fail...do I chalk Spurgoen off my list?

6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Well, I just watched the entire presentation. Very well done, and accurate, imo. All I can say is God help us.

I remember way back in the 70's and 80,s men like Dave Hunt and others were ridiculed and trivialised for saying that these evil things would take place.

We are now seeing who was right, and who was wrong.

#27 Alive in Christ, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
  7. SolaSaint

It's not just one church, where there is smoke.......

8. SolaSaint

But you can see from the comments in here, many are convinced Warren is on the right path. Look who he surrounds himself with, all the Emergent crowd to include McLaren and Bell, mystics and contemplative prayer gurus and maybe even Muslims. I'm not sure if Warren really claimed we worship the same god as thMuslims but he sure is dancing around this thought very closely.

I think it is wonderful Warren is trying to help the poor and ill people of the world, but he needs to try and be just a philanthropist and not pull us all together with a minimized gospel. IMO

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not ours. We focused on emphasizing the 5 purposes. We went from 80 members to almost 400 after planting 3 churches and our pastor leaving due to Gods call in planting churches full time. Thousands of lives have been touched using his "dangerous" yet completely biblical methodology.

10. SolaSaint

So your mark of success is numbers..yes that is Warren's plan.

11. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The stench of envy, jealousy, and bitterness is heavy here.
    Amazing that Warren writes a book and shares the story of what God lead him to do in his local church. He tells people not to take this as a blueprint for doing church everywhere. People do not listen to him and try to use it as a blueprint for churches all over thus resulting in countless problems. And Warren is the one held responsible for all these problems. How about we put the blame where it belongs?

12. SolaSaint

Tad, I don't think you can say he didn't want others to follow his example when you look at Pastors.com and read his books. I went to a large seminar in the late 90s that promoted how to make your church just like Saddleback. Sure Warren can get away with stating it isn't for everyone, but really?

I'm not jealous of numbers. I worry about all the numbers who may be led into a false conversion. And with Warrens seeker methods this is a big possibility. Remember I saw it first hand and it truly saddens me.

13. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Tad....

How can you suggest that Warren is not responsible, when he floods the market with his materials teaching people to follow his lead???

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First just because one disagrees with Warren does not mean they are jealous.

Second, just because one disagrees with Warren does not make him ecumenical or any other epitaph that is out there.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Number of Christ changed lives, absolutely. Sad you are not on board, just Interested in being a tool used to tear down a brother's ministry.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

can you supply the foreward in his book or in any of his materials where he says to follow his lead?

17. SolaSaint

dog,

I like you and we agree most of the time, but I cannot agree with you on Warren. I'm not trying to tear him down as much as warn people of what I think is a flawed and dangerous to fellow Christians. You obviously like Warren a lot, so go ahead and just place me on ignore if this really pushes your buttons. God bless brother.:wavey:

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where have I said I like him a lot? Tell me which of the 5 purposes are flawed and dangerous. Start there. His entire approach is built on this.

19. SolaSaint

dog, did you even watch the video?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.