1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Who is Rick Warren, really?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I got 10 minutes in and couldn't stomach any more lies and misinformation, especially from that idiot from gty. Now answer my question.

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I guess we (you and I focus on different things), what "moved" me was his statement that "everything he does is in an effort to introduce people to Christ". That says a "BUNCH" to me.

3. quantumfaith

As was mentioned in one of the Videos......"churches count the offering don't they". There is nothing inherently wrong with keeping data and analyzing what numbers might be saying. SBC for all my formative years certainly did this. Although I agree, a simplistic focus on "raw data" is ill conceived , but data that points to lives that are changed and altered through relationship are meaningful.

4. quantumfaith

:applause::applause::applause:

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shall we sing, give me that old time religion now? It is fair to reject Warren's gospel marketing method, and employ one that works in our circumstance. When I skimmed over some of Pastor Warren's church leader training material, I rejected much of it, but it opened my eyes to new and different and possibly better outreach opportunities and tweaks of our current outreach also came into focus. Bottom line, with the grace of God and a gifted teaching Pastor, we went from a small, less than 100 member church, ingrown and declining, to a healthy church infused with the energy of the Spirit. And a part of that came from considering how to reach those in our community by adorning the gospel with relevance for today. We became something different than what we were so that we might win so. Webdog's story is not uncommon.

#45 Van, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
  6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Numbers of lives changed is not a mark of success?

Better tell that to God because He often mentions it in His Word.

7. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

There are a couple of problems here. One is the video itself, which is not a credible source, and that's clear within the first few minutes of it. The other is that there appears to be some resentment here of Rick Warren and Saddleback on the part of some who are jealous. And jealousy of someone's ministry is usually the result of focusing on themselves instead of on Jesus.

There are a lot of things I don't like, and don't particularly agree with in the mega church methodology, including Saddleback. I would most likely not attend there myself, for several reasons. But, Warren's preaching and writing is solidly Biblical and, unlike most other megachurches, are reaching into a highly secular population group. Apparently, God is using them to reach people that traditional churches have absolutely no interest in reaching.

The Kingdom of God, made up of the churches of Jesus scattered all over the world, is a lot broader, and a lot less exclusive than some people want it to be. Redemption is the result of grace, not a set of legalities. While we may disagree on secondary or tertiary issues, the pursuit of truth does not have to involve put downs and criticism of anyone else's faith, or approach to ministry.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not sure its jealousy as much as one bad experience in a failed church implementing his model (when Warren warns against doing just that) and then setting out on a lifelong mission of blaming him for it while trying to tear down his ministry at every opportunity as has been told to us on this thread in so many words. Fact is that failed church would have failed using any methodology, the problem starts at the core.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I remember reading that mess waaaaaaaaaay back when and thinking what is this collection of new age mumbo jumbo? He is a dangerous man especially with this new ecumenical everything blending he's trying to lead.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Is Warren perfect? No

But he's certainly not the devil.

He's got some great ideas, a heart for the Lord and sometimes he makes mistakes. He's certainly not "dangerous" by any stretch of the imagination.

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

This doesn't mean a hill of beans if you start establishing a reputation of joining with that which God says you are to not join with.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh? So show me. I guess I'll make sure that I stop donating to the homeless shelter in my area because I noticed the Catholic church also helps them. Our church should also stop supporting our crisis pregnancy center that we started because they now receive funds from the Catholic church and even individuals who are not Christians.

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

He is indeed "dangerous". And that label is worthy of anyone who attempts to push the ecumenical mess that he is pushing.

He's FOOLISHLY trying to appeal to Islam when Islam demands his eradication. And they are simply letting him play the game that they are leading.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can you show me a link?

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

YOU as a Christian doing what God calls you to do has NOTHING to do with what non-Christians do.

But as I have said repeatedly, Christians need to stop thinking they are doing God a favor with their sacrifices while disobeying Him.

If He called you to donate to the homeless shelter or support a crisis pregnancy center, that has NOTHING to do with partnering with these anti-Christ religions as Warren keeps pushing.

When you throw your support behind that which is against God or partner with it, no matter what level of good you think you're doing, it's in direct opposition to what God's word says his people are supposed to do.

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

A link for what?

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

For what I quoted you accusing him of.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you read over this thread you find charges of malfeasance, with little rebuttal to the premise Warren is simply presenting the gospel, adorning the gospel message, differently than we experienced. He tries to reach people of all faiths, rather than spreading a message of hate. We have missionaries in Islamic countries that are risking their lives every day.

Zaac, you need to rethink your stand on outreach. Yes there is a time to shake the dust off, but not before you try to reach folks. And one way to reach folks is to create and build upon common interests.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You can't follow a simple conversation here but claim to have proper discernment concerning Warren's motives ? :laugh:

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Where's the "like" button when you need it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.