1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why do people go to hell? For sinning? For being born children of the devil?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by zrs6v4, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    AmyG correctly sees winmans constant error, and she clearly sees that our righteousness is God given:
    26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
    30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I believe they are both right. God certainly elects, and man has to repent and believe. Both election and free will working together unto the saving of some.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

i wish she would go back to seeing your constant error. Of course righteousness comes from the object of our faith and not merely our faith. If you think winman has said any different you need to remove the blinders.

#83 webdog, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
  4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    winmans ramblings are unscriptural and indefensible

here is one or two examples;

#84 Iconoclast, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
  5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow...denying the fact it is the object of our faith that saves and not our faith?

Wouldn't be so quick to point fingers at anyone else with such a clear, indefensible, unscriptural stance.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Nice try webdog...you should be ashamed of yourself for this 9th commandment violation.
    We are saved by or through faith,,,,never because of faith.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Agreed! Faith does not save us., We are saved by grace that is apprehended by or through faith.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Never said we were...we are saved by the OBJECT of our faith...and you of all people to point out the 9th commandment :laugh: have an opthamologist start working on that beam of yours.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    sure thing wd,,,soon as you post where I denied Jesus is the object of saving faith.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, considering that was the entire basis of winman's argument you referred to as "constant error", "unscriptural" and "indefensible"...let your own words condemn you.

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I gave an example of winmans unscriptural comments.....I try not to read all of his or vans unscriptural posts because they are harmful.
    I read until I see the error pouring forth, knowing they do not want truth,or an honest discussion of the truth.
    As a matter of fact....not seeing you offer much scripture or theology,which is troubling.If you go to philosophy.. or looking for debate fallacies....you have Benjamin set to pounce and correct your wrong uses of,begging the question, non sequiter, and other such terms....you are probably still rehabing from that lecture:thumbs::laugh::laugh: You are between a rock and a hard place...eh Wd????lol try some scripture for a change!

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

....and as the norm...trolls usually resort to ad hominem's when backed into the corner.

Let me know if you need the number of a good opthamologist...

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes,,,I see that in most all of your posts......

14. Cypress

Cypress New Member

c'mon guys.....we are all losing here.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

More than one beam? They can fix that.

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I will take your word for it:laugh::laugh:

Sorry cypress....you are correct of course:thumbs: When a poster has little desire to respond biblically,,,,we resort to elementary school memories and reasoning.

17. Cypress

Cypress New Member

No worries, love you guys!:thumbs::thumbs:

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

We are not saved because we quit sinning, no man ever completely stops sinning while we are in this flesh. The scriptures say if you keep the whole law, but offend in one point, you are guilty of all. Good luck being perfect.

The false believers in Matthew 7 made your exact argument if you read carefully, but they were as lost as a doorknob.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Note how it is emphasized that these persons called Jesus "Lord". It is said twice, and mentioned twice. If this does not describe someone who believes in Lordship Salvation I do not know what does. Calling Jesus "Lord" is not trusting him to save you.

These lost persons "worked". They prophesied in Jesus name, cast out devils in his name, and did many wonderful works in his name. Why then were they lost? Because they depended on their own righteousness and good works to save them instead of casting themselves completely on the mercy of Jesus and depending on him alone to save them. This is true saving faith.

The same exact thing is shown in the parable of the Pharisee and publican.

Luk 18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
    10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
    11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
    12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
    13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
    14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

The Pharisee believed in God, and he did many good works. But he was not saved because he trusted in his own righteousness.

The publican made no claim of being obedient to God. He confessed he was a disobedient sinner and cast himself solely on God's mercy. He went down to his house justified.

Just because you call Jesus "Lord" and do good works will not save you, you must cast yourself completely on Jesus and depend upon him alone to save you. Jesus does not need your good works to save you, he has done all the good works for you. He does not need your help at all, only that you trust him to save you.

You don't get it, the false believers in Matthew 7 were Lordship Salvationists.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is faith a good thing?

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Irrelevant to the charge having faith equates to inherent goodness. The object of one's faith determines whether it is good. Is faith in islam good?