1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why is it such a big deal?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Sapper Woody, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is the foundation of a house such a huge deal?

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That would be going to an extreme position. Both Cals and Non cals have the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ as their foundation.
    No other foundation can be laid than that which has been laid by Jesus Christ. The controversy is in what is built upon that foundation.....

Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. (1Cor3)

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Based on past posts it is a big deal because some equate Calvinism with the gospel.

4. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The conundrum here, though, is this: If Jesus died for every sin (in the unlimited atonement view), then why do people go to hell? Furthermore, if He died for every sin, why, then, is the sin of unbelief uncovered?

If unbelief is not forgiven, then it isn't paid for. If unbelief isn't paid for, Jesus' atonement is limited.

Of course, the atonement must actually accomplish something--forgiveness of sins through the penal-substutionary death of Christ. He actually pays for the sin--God's wrath is poured out on our sin which Christ bears. An atonement that only makes things "possible," is really no atonement at all--nothing is actually paid. This is, perhaps, why the word "Propitiation" is so important. We know that it means the removal of wrath based on a substitute bearing that wrath. Now, you will counter with the 1 John passage that says Christ was the propitiation for the whole world... But, we know--whatever that verse means--that it does not mean all the sins are paid for. Why? Because we know there are sheep; we know there are goats. And, if all sin is paid for, there is nothing for the unbelievers to pay for in hell, and it makes God unjust because He is requiring and exacting a double payment for sin--Christ pays and the unbeliever pays.

By the way, one professor at Seminary, who rejected the "L" of the TULIP readily admits that the hole in his argument is that God would, then, require a double payment.

But, you might say, the only sin they go to hell for is unbelief. But, as stated earlier, if that is the case, then Jesus didn't die for every sin.

The Archangel

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer 'Preservation' over 'Perseverance'.

Many there are that make shipwreck of their faith but are still yet preserved. 1 Cor 5:5 being a good example.

6. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many more reasons, but I'll share a few...

It's a big deal because:

1. Arminian theology depicts God as wishing and hoping that people will repent. Arminian theology requires man to give God permission to save him, use him for His will, etc. In this system, Man is the main actor and god is the responder. Of course, in the Bible, it is ALWAYS God who acts and man who responds.

2. Arminan theology denies, at the most basic, fundamental level, the sovereignty of God and replaces it with the sovereignty of man (see point #1).

I have to go now.... But those are two reasons why it's important. And, I should add, not every Arminian degenerates into this error, but many do. There is a reason, after all, that Open Theism came from the Arminian side of the theological spectrum.

The Archangel

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think that the account given of the Exodus generation shows conclusively that the sin of unbelief is in fact covered.

#27 kyredneck, May 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you asking me, or questioning Jesus? Jesus said "all manner of sin but".

9. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Understand the word "Manner."

The Archangel

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is God wishing and hoping??? Don't think I would say it that way. Was God wishing and hoping Adam and Eve would resist the devil and obey? God either gave them a freewill choice or God caused them to fall. I assume you will take the God gave them a choice approach and if so then was God wishing and hoping they choose life?

If a Sovereign God decides in His Sovereignty that He will give His subjects freewill to choose life and death, does this then make God less Sovereign?

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok, I have, point remains.

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think that the account given of the Exodus generation shows conclusively that the sin of unbelief is in fact covered.

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you telling me Jesus was mistaken when He said "all manner but"?

14. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used the word as an imperative in two undefined ways:

1. "Manner" isn't in the Matthew passage.

2. The passage cannot be ripped from its context. The Holy Spirit is the One who regenerates. To reject Him is to reject Christ. The manner of salvation the entire New Testament shows is based in the Holy Spirit's work of regeneration.

The Holy Spirit doesn't save the unwilling. Rather, He makes the unwilling willing.

But, if unbelief isn't forgiven, then Christ didn't die for that sin, and even your interpretation of the atonement is "limited" in some way.

The Archangel

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mt 12:31 concerns blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, not unbelief.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excuse me but that's not the correct foundation. Loving the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and then loving your neighbor as yourself.....these are the foundatons

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

LOL, Calvinists constantly accuse non-Cals of trying to usurp God's sovereignty with free will, but it is Calvinists that insist God could not choose to save those who freely believe.

Why oh why couldn't God choose to save persons who freely choose of their own free will to believe on Jesus?

If God wants to save only those who choose to freely believe on Jesus, and to damn those who refuse to believe on Jesus, who are you oh Calvinist to tell him he can't? :rolleyes:

So, it's a ridiculous and nonsensical view. Calvinists have all sorts of bogus arguments like this that they have been indoctrinated with. Most cannot think well enough to see how foolish these arguments truly are.

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

False, the foundation of Calvinism is election. If you were not elected, then Jesus Christ's death, burial, and resurrection does nothing for you (Limited Atonement).

In Calvinism, only if you were elected does Jesus's death, burial, and resurrection have meaning and purpose.

Your personal election is PRIMARY in Calvinism. This is what I tried to show earlier, but folks don't get it.

In Calvinism, the "elect" are #1, Jesus is #2.

In Non-Cal/Arm Jesus is #1. We only become elect if we believe on Jesus and are baptized "into Christ".

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And what is that in your pov?

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oh boy....

"For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ
    " (1Cor3:11)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.