1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Wives

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Nov 5, 2013.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already gave a "brief" to Ann about it, and this isn't the thread for that discussion in full.

I will present these items

The fact is that Christ said, "Let no man put asunder" AFTER the marriage was consummated.

He made provision for divorce BEFORE the marriage was consummated.

That the typical teaching given to folks is that the marriage is a "contract" and that it can be broken when one fails in that contract, does not mean the Scriptures agree. As already shown the marriage is not contractual, but a point of taking a vow that is one sided and not conditional upon what the other person does or doesn't perform.

I would suggest that it would be appropriate for those who want to defend that divorce can occur at the point of unfaithfulness should look to the example of Christ to the believer. For the Scriptures state that the husband wife picture represents the relationship of Christ to the believer (church).

HE is faithful even when we are not.

Perhaps, you can give greater testimony from Scripture on the matter to support the view that a marriage after consummation can be Scripturally broken.

I have given you places to consider that show it cannot and should not.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Very thought provoking post. First, let me say that this man created a situation almost impossible to fix, but anything is possible with God and Christ. Maybe my wording was unclear, but the last thing I would do is break up the entire unit. They could live in separate dwellings next door, but no, I do not think it is Biblical or good common sense for the man and the x number of women to live in the same house. I tried to emphasize for each unit, a bond must be maintained. The man has to be a father, and work with the particular mother, to raise and support the children. The children should know all of their brothers, sisters, cousins, whatever, and form lifetime bonds. The whole unit must be maintained as a family, but that does not mean the man has sexual relations on a rotating schedule.

Yes, there were those situations in the OT. We are commanded by the Lord to obey the laws of our land, and that says, one wife at a time, legally married. The Bible says for life. I do not believe our laws to be in conflict with the Bible. I think the arrangements back in David's or whoever's time are more of a cultural thing.

Given that, if I were a pastor (which I am not, but a deacon) I would take the entire family unit into the church as members, encourage them, pray for them, disciple them, and make darn sure the gossips did not infect the efforts of the local church. I would encourage a bond between each and every member, but the sexual bond of the man is limited to one person. Then, I would watch what God does to this amazing situation as He does His work.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

Again, I need to know specifically what Scripture you're drawing that from, because it is not apparent to me.

So you are denying that marriage is a covenantal relationship? Well, I beg to differ. Let's break this down and see what the Bible says about the marriage covenant.

In Malachi 2:14 we see that marriage is a holy covenant before God. In the Jewish custom, God's people signed a written agreement at the time of the marriage to seal the covenant. The marriage ceremony, therefore, is meant to be a public demonstration of a couple's commitment to a covenant relationship. It's not the "ceremony" that's important in a marriage, it's the couple's covenant commitment before God and men.

For Christians, marriage goes beyond the earthly covenant also, as a divine picture of the relationship between Christ and his Bride, the Church. It is a spiritual representation of our relationship with God.

When Jesus spoke to the Samaritan woman at the well in John 4, he revealed something very important, something we often miss in this passage. In verses 17-18, Jesus said to the woman, "You have correctly said, ‘I have no husband’; for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; this you have said truly." The woman had been hiding the fact that the man she was living with was not her husband. According to the New Bible Commentary notes on this passage of Scripture, Common Law Marriage had no religious support in the Jewish faith. Living with a person in sexual union did not constitute a "husband and wife" relationship. Jesus made that plain here.

Therefore, the position that the couple is married in the eyes of God when the physical union is consummated through sexual intercourse does not have a foundation in Scripture.

Questions?

4. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But this is clearly breaking up the family unit.

I can hear the children say, "Why doesn't daddy like me anymore? He is living with ..." "Why can't he life here with us. He is my daddy, too."

No matter how the situation is "talked through" the dynamics to the children will have long term damaging impact when the family is separated into compartments.

The scenario purposely placed the family in a cultural context in which multiple partners were not only expected, but showed community standing.

The separation into compartments would impact the children in the community most negatively.

Hmmm, not in conflict with the Bible? I'll leave that alone for now.

Thisnumbersdisconnected posted that the Bible is cross cultural (my term).

So, apply the scenario this way, the "family" as a group has immigrated to your neighborhood. They have been gloriously saved, and now desire to come to church.

You are charged to meet the family and discover that they are as the scenario indicates.

How do you then recommend the folks proceed.

YES!!!

That would be God honoring, and provide the assembly, edification.

I do think the assembly needs to have a membership talk to inform them, lay out the rational, and bring understanding of the limitations, expectations, and applications that all are to expect, agree, and support.

5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And this does not support what I posted? Did I not clearly state that marriage is NOT contractual, but vows of what one will do regardless of and unconditional.

Such is covenantal and God does not expect such a vow to be broken. In fact, He is rather specific about how he holds humankind responsible for the vows they take.

The Scripture in which I referred is Matthew 19.

Your reference to Malachi just proves all the more that the post I made about the issue was factual.

Did God say divorce was righteous? Not!

Malachi says, "For I hate divorce,” says the Lord, the God of Israel"

When then is the ONLY time in which Christ states that divorce is actually approved?

When one has been unfaithful BEFORE consummation of the marriage.

Matthew 19:
    3 Some Pharisees came to Jesus, testing Him and asking, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any reason at all?” 4 And He answered and said, “Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.” 7 They *said to Him, “Why then did Moses command to give her a certificate of divorce and send her away?” 8 He *said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way. 9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”
    10 The disciples *said to Him, “If the relationship of the man with his wife is like this, it is better not to marry.” 11 But He said to them, “Not all men can accept this statement, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother’s womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it.”
    Now some look at verse 9 and say, "Ah, ha! See he states they can divorce over adultery."

Taking that view would then make Christ statement in bold "let no man put asunder" of no importance.

Therefore there is only ONE time that Jesus could be referring.

In the Jewish custom, the man was married, but did not consummate the marriage until a place was prepared for the wife. When the husband's father (or authority figure) stated the place was good enough, the husband went to the home of the bride and took her unto himself.

Do you not remember the story of the ten virgins? This is an illustration of the practice.

Do you not remember what Joseph was willing to do to Mary and when? Again, that is an illustration.

I know this isn't acceptable teaching to much of the folks who desire to bust up a marriage over an unfaithful spouse, but frankly, it is really the only proper way to work through this issue and Christ's statements.

6. thisnumbersdisconnected

No, it doesn't, because you said as you say here ...

Do you not realize that "covenant" and "contract" are synonymous? I clearly said that marriage is most assuredly covanental (i.e., "contractual" if you will) in nature. And then you spend the rest of your post making an argument against something I did not say, while ignoring my point that you cannot support from Scripture this view that "consummating the marriage" makes divorce impossible. Care to try again?

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A man living with his wife and children - and mistresses and other children are not a "family unit".

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I guess you're assuming Daddy doesn't sit down with the kids to explain things to them. "Kids, I want to explain what's happening. I love all of you so very much and I do not have any favorites amongst you. You are all my children and I will love you all equally until the day I die. But now that we follow Christ and His Word, I need to do the right thing. God calls us to have one wife and I disobeyed that command and took other women to live with me as wives but they were not in God's sight or the government's sight. Now that we know God's guidelines for marriage, we need to do the hard but right thing. I still love you and will take care of you but I cannot live with your moms anymore as that is sinful so I've gotten another home for your moms to live in and you can choose to live with them or with me. I don't love you any less if you live in the other home and I want you to know that I will always be here and be your dad and I'll see you all the time. My doors are open for you to come here if you choose to stay in the other house. I know this will take an adjustment but we trust that God will guide us through this time. I love you all!"

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

And this is true and necessary whether this is some formerly lost FLDS family in the U.S., or an African tribe where polygamy is an acceptable way of life.

I don't care where in the world something like this happens, once the adults come to faith in Christ, the lifestyle must be abandoned for the sake of Christ and the public testimony of the men and women who have trusted in Him for salvation and pledge to love and serve Him for eternity.

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tough one for sure. Not so much the what, but the how.

In a culture where multiple wives are accepted and perhaps even expected, I don't know if you don't do more harm then good demanding the families divide immediately. That is say very little of the fact that in these types of situations the wife is wholly dependent on the husband and this could be exposing her to situations and concerns staying with the husband would have avoided.

11. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No, covenants are NOT synonymous with contracts.

In the Scriptures contracts can be covenantal agreements between nations and man to man, but they were not contracts as the modern sense of the word. Often sitting down to eat with another person in which meat and drink are divided is establishing the covenant.

Such is pictured in the last supper when Christ broke the bread and passed the cup. Do you see the covenant statement "Truly I say to you, I will never again drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.” Was it conditional as is a modern contract?

Modern day contracts are agreements in which both sides are liable, and can be broken by either side.

Example, I purchase a car. In the contract it specifies a certain warranty and the conditions the must be met for the warranty to remain affective. One side is obligated to the other side. I keep the conditions then the dealer is obligated to fix what breaks.

Consider that both sides have an obligation that if violated not only breaks the contract, but has legal resources available to redress the issues.

Covenants are not that way. The covenant is one sided and not dependent upon the other.

Example, I marry a harlot. I covenant and give vows. The harlot continues the harlotry. I am bound by the covenant - see Hosea.

The covenant is a vow, as such was not conditioned upon nor mitigated by the response of the other person. At times the covenant was given, and another covenant given by the other side - This is as is done in a wedding - one makes vows, the other makes vows. In the OT this was done to establish treaty alliances.

The Greek word in the NT is diaqeke. It is as one would consider the last will and testament. (Click the word to open a link to a study tools)

The Hebrew word in the OT is [FONT=ARIAL,HELVETICA,SANS-SERIF]berith. It is aligned with total devotion (see here) and with circumcision (see here). It may help to look (here) for how the word is used throughout the OT - in particular read the "[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL,HELVETICA,SANS-SERIF]Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon" section for how the word is used in each instance.

To read two articles that discuss this issue (one short) and one longer try these two:

Covenants and Contracts by Richard Anthony

Covenant Not Contract by Bible.org

As this applies to a marriage, the covenantal vow is far stronger and is actually a vow to God (not to each other) in which God holds the person responsible to fulfill.

Hence the use of the word "adultery" when Christ spoke in Matthew 19:
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=ARIAL,HELVETICA,SANS-SERIF] And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.

[/FONT]​
    [FONT=ARIAL,HELVETICA,SANS-SERIF]The only time Christ approved divorce as opposed to Moses was pre-consummation.

The timeline of the statements do not allow for any other factual interpretation.

The wording by Christ comparing what Moses allowed and God's way.

And the statement of "one flesh" is inseparable unity. One cannot divorce himself from himself. Only the Spirit using the Word of God is capable of dividing soul and Spirit (Hebrews 4)
    [/FONT].

I understand the desire of most believers and teachers to consider my statements as incorrect, but they were not made with a casual glance at the Scriptures.

I also realize that the world would mock and scorn the statements as far from "normal" teaching and preaching. I don't contend with the world view(s), though I continue to stand against them.

I seek only understanding (not agreement) with what I consider Scriptural in this matter. I figure the Holy Spirit will guide each person who actually investigates the matter into truth - agreement with me means very little in comparison. That some may never agree is between them and the leading of the Holy Spirit. That some may agree should also be between them and the leading of the Holy Spirit.

What I would never want is someone agreeing with me, because they relied upon me. That is most unScriptural. The believer is to sift everything through the Scriptures and cherish what is in agreement and toss into the garbage can what is not.

12. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The above would sound all so "grown up talk" to a child and would be discarded as such.

To a child (as thisnumbersdisconnect) can attest (as a professional) they see love in the light of what is important to them.

For example: A child will cling to an abusive parent because they see in that parent what is important to them. It isn't love, it isn't devotion, but some unknown need that binds the child to that parent. It isn't until the child is well into maturation that adult thinking, reasoning, and comparing enables some beginning of understanding. Until then, not happening.

So all the "talk" may sound good, and may be agreeable and make sense to adults, but such means absolutely nothing to the child. The child WILL view it all as betrayal and picking favorites.

I have yet to see a child taken from even a very bad parent who does not long for that parent.

The talk will mean nothing but heartache and result in a life marred.

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

In the Old Testament, the Hebrew word behriyth (transliterated, for lack of an English letter equivalent) means, other than covenant, "alliance, pledge, agreement" when used in conjunction with any kind of word-bond between men, and the Hebrew kebuttah was a particular kind of covenant, signed between a woman's father and the man who wished to be her groom. This created the marriage, without equivocation. That was the marriage contract, and it was not dependent upon sexual relations to finalize it. The couple was married. Period. They did not live together or engage in marital relations, but were no less married that your wife and you, my wife and me, are married today.

You're wrong.

As to the New Testament, "covenant" is the Greek diatheke, which means a disposition, or testament (as in "last will and ... ") and again means the same thing as "contract."

Again, you're wrong.

Your error is in seeing God make unconditional covenants as being the only kind of covenant there is, which is untrue. These exact same words were used in both testaments for agreements between men, which had conditions, because men obviously are not as reliable as God. So your examples are also wrong. The marriage contract of the Jewish people particularly proves that, and since we are talking about marriage in the first place, also serves to prove my point.

14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Would you show me Scriptures that state "the lifestyle must be abandoned" as it relates to the scenario?

Consider carefully how you will fit it into the examples given in the Scriptures of the actual living style as related to the public testimony.

Is there ever a time (other than Ezra) that separation of the family unit was clearly in the plan of God as you would desire?

Please, I am not trying to corner your view.

The purpose of the thread is attempting to seek Scriptural principle for the OP scenario in which the assembly and the members might be schooled and develop a systematic Biblically based scheme in which they may all look upon as a guide.

This is further important because I see the church already engaging in some aspects of the scenario through the typical divorced couples classes.

This is further important because new believers, who need discipline and discipleship, should have a consistent Scripture based guide they can look at and ponder.

So, I am not really in this for the debate over legalisms but for how the assembly is to respond to these believers.

The OP scenario folks are not second class citizens to the kingdom, and shouldn't be treated by the assembly as such.

15. thisnumbersdisconnected

That's a straw man. This scenario isn't addressed in the Bible, and you know it. However, God clearly makes the marriage contract strictly between one man and one woman, and if one is going to profess Christianity, one must conform to the basic tenets of the faith. Would you suggest that an alcoholic coming to Christ can keep drinking, when for him it is sin? Would you suggest that a thief coming to faith can keep stealing? That a liar could keep lying? That a gossip can keep gossiping?

It is ludicrous to suggest that anyone can remain in sin and follow Christ. The Bible repeatedly gives examples of how this is utter failure. As Ann has wisely said, rather than allow sin to continue, the encouragement is for the man who has wrought all this havoc on other peoples' lives to sit them all down, explain that the previous lifestyle is sinful and as followers of Christ they can no longer continue in it, but must make the separate arrangements I outlined very early on and submit to the counseling that will be necessary to enable them to cleanup of this spiritual, emotional and mental train wreck.

People heal with the power of Christ. Your answer, to let them continue in their sin, only prolongs their agony and prevents them from growing in Christ. Your suggestions must be condemned for the folly they represent.

16. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you actually read through the links that I posted?

This supports what I stated as the ONLY time divorce is allowed by Christ.

Divorce can ONLY then occur BEFORE the one flesh.

It is the ONLY way that the Scriptures on this matter remain consistent. For again, "one flesh" cannot be divided by man - clear statement by Christ cannot be put in any other context than expressing divorce after consummation is not Scriptural.

Paul confirms the statements I have made on this issue:
    1 Corinthians 7
    10 But to the married I give instructions, not I, but the Lord, that the wife should not leave her husband 11 (but if she does leave, she must remain unmarried, or else be reconciled to her husband), and that the husband should not divorce his wife.

There are NO conditions of if/then in the above passage, and it applies to both those who have a partner who is not a believer as well as two believers.

Divorce is NOT an option after consummation or Paul would have given that - especially considering the culture of which the Corinthian church resided. Promiscuity was not just occasional but regularly served up as actual temple "rights."

Had Paul considered "adultery" an issue that could warrant divorce, then he would have (especially in that church) made remarkable statements to that end. Paul spoke on the topic and gave no "out" but actually states the Lord's command and there is not "out" given - only a "time out."

Did you not see the links I provided? In what area did I "limit" the OT and NT covenants as by God, only.

Rather, I pointed out the very same items as your statement above.

That the "marriage contract" was actually a covenant in which the binds were far stronger and to be taken in the same light as any other vow.

Your own post does not refute the statements I have made, but further gives support to them.

What does the OT state about a vow?

Look at the place in which a husband overhears a vow the wife makes and she is unaware that he is around.

Better, go to here, type in the word vow, and then read through the actual use in Scriptures. For some reason, often the link doesn't accept single words, but if you reason with it, it should give you 70 some times the word "vow" occurs with all the various uses and other tools.

I enjoyed doing that with "covenant" some time back and was reminded again of how personal pronouns of ownership were often a part of the wording (me, mine, my, your, yours, ...)

Marriage vows are not made to each other on a contractual basis - you will do this and and I will do that.

Rather, they are made to God concerning what that person brings to the other.

It is an "unconditional" promise and as such cannot be broken by the actions of the person who makes the vow, nor the person to whom the vow is for or about without sever consequences.

Example - remember the Jephthah vow? Was Jephthah able to break the vow? Was his daughter able to break the vow? To whom was the vow made?

Example - Hannah made what some might consider a this as an if/then conditional promise - give me a child and I will give him to you, but in actuality, it is unconditional. Hannah got from God and gave it back. God didn't have to give the child, but Hannah was responsible that when she did get a child to give it to the Lord. It was unconditional.
    To whom was the vow made? Could Hannah break the vow? Could Samuel break the vow?

I could go on, but from these examples and from the link there is ample Scriptural support.

17. thisnumbersdisconnected

What is it you fail to understand about the ketubbah making them 100% married. You can't get any more married than that. You deliberately ignore facts in order to argue your ludicrous contention. There is nothing in the Bible that supports the idea that consummation makes divorce "impossible" as you contend. NOTHING.

18. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for that admission.

Because it is not addressed in the Bible, why do you still want to assign "sin" to the scenario?

Saying it is sin, without Biblical proof, doesn't make it anything more than a person assigning sin to believers who live in grass huts.

I agree that God makes the marriage covenant between a man and woman - a sacredness not to be marred or interfered with by outsiders.

But on the other hand, you are stating that outsiders can interfere and dissolve the marriage - which Christ stated was NOT allowed. (Let no man put asunder)

I do question that a person who is found as the OP suggests, has the sacred right to leave the home, and/or disavow.

Can a vow be disavowed? Is there a time in Scripture (other than when a man overhears his wife) when by example this was done?

When the Scriptures state that a man has given a vow - I don't recall any condition in which that vow was not expected to be fulfilled - irregardless of the consequences.

All those items (according to Proverbs) are "without the body and taken in" but the intimacy and unity of a couple is not pictured in that light.

For sure and for certain. No argument at all.

You are assuming that it is necessary to "clean up ... wreck."

So far, you have shown that the Bible doesn't place the OP as folks in sin (your opening statement in the post), and yet you continue to assign it as sinful and needing correction.

I am uncertain on what grounds (other than God design one man one woman marriages) you proclaim the need for the family unit to be separated.

Separating and not fulfilling "duty" would place the people as no longer capable of fulfilling the vows they took, and that is highly condemned in Scriptures.

I am certainly not one to suggest in any way that anyone "continue in their sin."

I also agree that "people heal with the power of Christ."

What I am questioning is that there is "healing" needed as you are suggesting, and that imposing your suggestions would actually do harm by interfere with the basic family unity.

19. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Again, you prove my view correct

Perhaps you missed this:
    A ketubah (Hebrew: כְּתוּבָּה ; "written thing"; pl. ketubot) is a special type of Jewish prenuptial agreement. It is considered an integral part of a traditional Jewish marriage, and outlines the rights and responsibilities of the groom, in relation to the bride.
    Would not unfaithfulness break the "ketubah?"

What is the only difference between "prenuptial" and nuptial?

Now apply all the above to the statement Christ made.

One can divorce for adultery.

What God has joined together let no man put asunder.

When is the ONLY time in which God has not made "one flesh" and divorce is an option? Keep in mind "what God has joined together let no man put asunder."

When is the ONLY time the two have NOT become one flesh and yet are married? Keep in mind "what God has joined together let no man put asunder."

Therefore divorce is approved (as shown both by the statement of Christ and restated by Paul to the Corinthians) ONLY prenuptial. Keep in mind "what God has joined together let no man put asunder."

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Unfortunately, the sin of the father affects the child. What if a father has killed someone? Do we say "Oh, leave the father alone because it will harm the child!"? No. We address the sin and the consequences are just that - consequences. We're not going to allow sin to continue to make a child feel good. I don't think God overlooked sin in the Old Testament when children were around and unfortunately, often the children were dealt the same consequences as their parents.