1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Word Study G4400, Procheirzo

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regarding Acts 3:20

Yes, you are indeed wrong Van. You claim that only "chosen beforehand" presents the full message of God. who are you to make that determination? What qualifies you to sit in judgment of translators of most English translations of that verse? You have gall beyond belief.

How is the word "appointed" hiding the predetermined aspect of God's selection in the following:

Matthew 26:18 : My appointed time is near
    Acts 13:48 : all who were appointed for eternal life
    Eph. 1:22 : appointed him to be the head over everything

Please inform us why we should disregard the above renderings and go with your Van-approved selections made in time and not before the foundation of the world --may I add.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet more off topic "Van bashing."

We have considered the compound word God chose to use in His inspired message. It means "chosen beforehand."

Acts 3:20, and that He may send Jesus, the Christ appointed for you,

Here, the predetermined nature of the selection is hidden, but a literal translation, “the Christ chosen beforehand for you presents the full message of God.

Acts 22:14, And he said, ‘The God of our fathers has appointed you to know His will and to see the Righteous One and to hear an utterance from His mouth.

Again, The God of our fathers has chosen beforehand for you to know… preserves the predetermined aspect of the word.

Acts 26:16 But get up and stand on your feet; for this purpose I have appeared to you, to appoint you a minister and a witness not only to the things which you have seen, but also to the things in which I will appear to you;

And once again, “to choose you beforehand as a minister… presents the full meaning of our word.

#42 Van, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
  3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to deal with the reality of the above Van.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet more off topic "Van bashing."

We have considered the compound word God chose to use in His inspired message. It means "chosen beforehand."

Here, the predetermined nature of the selection is hidden, but a literal translation, “the Christ chosen beforehand for you presents the full message of God.

Acts 22:14, And he said, ‘The God of our fathers has appointed you to know His will and to see the Righteous One and to hear an utterance from His mouth.

Again, The God of our fathers has chosen beforehand for you to know… preserves the predetermined aspect of the word.

Acts 26:16 But get up and stand on your feet; for this purpose I have appeared to you, to appoint you a minister and a witness not only to the things which you have seen, but also to the things in which I will appear to you;

And once again, “to choose you beforehand as a minister… presents the full meaning of our word.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See the nest post.

#45 Rippon, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
  6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The predetermined nature of the word appointed is very plain to those whose eyes are open.
    The word appointed serves quite nicely to convey the "predetermined aspect" thank you very much.

So declares Van.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the word appointed have a predetermined nature? Nope. Calvinists simply make up special definitions to rewrite God's inspired text.

Why present less than the full message of God, i.e. chosen beforehand?
    No actual reasoning has been presented. God chose each word of the inspired text. We should at least seek to understand God's intended message as conveyed by His chosen words.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No matter how much common sense and evidence is presented you just sweep it all away with your typical distain.
    Bringing up your favorite topic as much as you can. Why would just about every English version use appointed in Acts 3:20? Is it due to a Calvinist conspiracy? There is nothing hidden when the word appointed is used. Nothing at all is undisclosed. Your tirade is futile Van. You are the only one coming up with your lunacy.
    God's chosen words were not in English. You make pronouncements where it would be better for you to remain silent and remove all doubt that you haven't a clue when it comes to making your "superior" word choices and presenting "the full message of God" to your audience of none.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More change the subject, more disdain, and still no on topic content.

To refer to any dictionary definition and note that appointed does not mean previously appointed is said to lack common sense. You have got to love them, folks.

Next we get the deep insight from Rippon that "procheizo" is not English but transliterated Greek. Who knew?

"Pro" still means "beforehand" and so "chosen beforehand" is superior to appointed because it presents the full message of God. God chose to use "pro" and now Rippon says to ignore "pro."

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the contrary, we are on the same subject.
    You're a copycat.
    You're using a dictionary to determine the meaning of thelogically loaded words? I'm afraid that is a bit weak Van.
    Well, from your constant berating of all translations but your own one would think that you believe that no one was capable of translating in a superior manner until you finally arrived on the scene.
    So you, with your lack of expertise, confidently claim. Only you can come up with "the full message of God" and translators who are actual scholars just can't measure-up to your word perfect renderings.

I have said no such thing.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another off topic post, filled with falsehoods and disdain.

To use a dictionary for the meaning of English words - why according to Rippon, that is weak. We should use the definitions he makes up.

Comparing the word meanings given in lexicons with the various translation choices, i.e. to do a word study in the actual scriptural context, has merit, and we should not disparage the effort.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I came across some quotes from some BB members that kind of match what I have said above.

Mexdeaf to Van on 8/16/11
    "I get the impression that you believe it is a miracle that we even had understandable bibles before you came around to set us all straight."

jbh28 to Van on 8/19/11
    "You have 0 knowledge of translating yet want to act like all the translators are wrong."

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When will you show some integrity?

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another off topic attack on my character. Chosen beforehand does not ignore "pro" but "appointed" is not the same as appointed beforehand. Thus Rippon says to ignore "pro" yet he denies it, and then questions my integrity. You have got to love them, folks.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For you to repeat a falsehood does not bode well for your testimony.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another "bash Van" post, addressing my behavior, rather than the topic. Hence, simply yet another effort to derail the thread.

Rippon's translation choice is "appoint" which leaves "pro" out of the message, and my choice is "chosen beforehand" which presents the full message of God.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Post #48

You need to note the above Van.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The emboldened print is what you said in your post number 5 when you displayed more modesty.

Why does it have to be chosen beforehand? Why not designate in advance, select beforehand, choose in advance, already chosen? Why is chosen beforehand so sacred?

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, the full message of God could be conveyed with several different words or phrases. My choice was chosen beforehand.

#59 Van, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Legitimate questions for you to answer. Don't do your typical "bashing Van" routine.