1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured You Are Chosen! Believe it or Not! Like it or Not!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, "by faith" is not an action. The word for faith, here, is a dative noun modifying the perfect, passive participle "sanctified."

So, sanctification is the more major idea in view. Sanctification, being passive, is done to us by means of faith in Christ.

The Archangel

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, faith is not a work, but it means to trust Jesus, to rely or depend upon him. It is like the old hymn, "Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms".

A good example is skydiving. When you jump out, you are trusting the parachute to get you down safely. You are completely relying or depending on the parachute to do all the work necessary. You do not flap your arms and try to fly.

It is the same with Jesus, you come to him in your heart and cast your very soul upon him, depending and relying on him only to save you. It is not a work, it is a ceasing from all work and trusting Jesus only to save you.

The problem with asking others about Greek is you have no idea if they are correct. Even Greek scholars often disagree with the interpretation of Greek text. Look how often those who know English disagree with the interpretation of a verse. It is the same in Greek, scholars often disagree.

#102 Winman, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
  3. Winman

Winman Active Member

I disagree, Samson had faith in God from the time he was a child, it is implied;

Jud 15:24 And the woman bare a son, and called his name Samson: and the child grew, and the LORD blessed him.

All men receive some common grace from God. He makes the rain to fall on the righteous and the wicked. But God does not pour out his grace on unbelievers.

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Grace is favor. It is not merited, but God shows favor to those who believe his promises. We have access into grace by faith (Rom 5:2). Abraham believed God, so God imputed righteousness to him.

Calvinism teaches you receive faith through grace, this is error. The scriptures teach you receive grace through faith, the exact opposite.

Samson's mother had been promised that Samson would deliver the Jews from the Philistines. It is no doubt that Samson's mother taught him this.

Jud 13:5 For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no rasor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines.

Samson believed this promise. How do we know? He never cut his hair! And God blessed Samson and had favor on him for his faith.

When Delilah tried to find Samson's strength, he was very careful at first not to reveal that his strength lay in his long hair. Unfortunately, he gave into her charms and revealed this secret.

Jud 16:17 That he told her all his heart, and said unto her, There hath not come a rasor upon mine head; for I have been a Nazarite unto God from my mother's womb: if I be shaven, then my strength will go from me, and I shall become weak, and be like any other man.

As you see, Samson believed what God had told his mother. And obviously she had told this promise to Samson.

We also see Samson's faith in God after he had slain 1000 men with the jawbone of an ass.

Jud 15:18 And he was sore athirst, and called on the LORD, and said, Thou hast given this great deliverance into the hand of thy servant: and now shall I die for thirst, and fall into the hand of the uncircumcised?

Samson gave credit for his victory to God. He called himself God's servant. Samson had faith in God.

And finally, we see Samson's faith again when he called on God for strength to collapse the temple.

Jud 16:28 And Samson called unto the LORD, and said, O Lord GOD, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines for my two eyes.

So, there is much evidence that Samson believed and had faith in God.

4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree and would you agree it is done to us by the Holy Spirit?
    From whence and why is the Holy Spirit given? Along this same thought let me ask.

1 Cor 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Does that verse say essentially the same thing as Acts 26:18 and would it be incorrect to replace, "by faith that is in me," with, "in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God?"

Also is the structure of the grammar of the Greek of those two verses the same or similar relative as to what is being modified and how?

Did the Comforter come because Jesus went away? Did Jesus receive the promise of the Holy Spirit from God the Father before it was given to us? Was it necessary for him to receive the Holy Spirit? Before you give to quick of an answer to that question; According to Gal 1:1 and Rom 8:11, 1 Peter 3:18 by what means did God the Father raise up Jesus the Son from the dead?

While I am asking questions; Looking at these phrases standing alone in this manner, do they say the same thing?

and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he hath shed forth = and renewing of the Holy Spirit; Which he shed on

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Faith that a parachute will open bears no relation to saving faith.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Tell that to someone when their parachute fails.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Percho, no one receives the Holy Spirit until after they believe, so how could it be Jesus's faith in you before you receive the Spirit?

Gal 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Paul's question demands the answer that these Galatians first heard and believed the gospel before they received the Spirit.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

This verse is very plain, Paul said these Ephesians #1 heard the gospel, #2 believed the gospel, #3 received and were sealed by the Spirit.

There are MANY more.

Acts 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost

Paul's question clearly shows he believed a person receives the Spirit after they believe.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Peter told these Jews they must repent, that is, turn from unbelief and trust in Jesus for the forgiveness of their sins, and then afterward they would receive the Holy Spirit.

You have to believe with your own faith, and then afterward you receive the Spirit.

#107 Winman, Sep 6, 2012
  8. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm...

In another post you said:

So then, what about Balaam. By all accounts Balaam was not a believer and yet Numbers 24:2 tells us that the "Spirit of God came upon him."

So, was Balaam a believer?! By your argumentation, he would have had to be since the Spirit of God came upon him. Yet...Balaam was not a believer.

Can you explain the contradiction?

The Archangel

9. OldRegular

Still waiting WM!

The request was related to the passage from Ephesians which you posted, with emphasis, to support your doctrine [#87]! I show your emphasized Scripture again and ask the same question:

If you can't answer WM because it would destroy your doctrine then just say so!

10. C/O

C/O New Member

[post snipped and new poster warned that this sort of post will get you on the outside looking in]

#110 C/O, Sep 6, 2012
  11. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

C/O, you might want to try be just a "wee bit" more diplomatic.

12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    what makes you say this....co?
    What do you think it teaches?

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even though I think the KJV to be the preferred version from the preferred text, those good old boys did not do very well with this text Eph. 1:13, IMO which ain't much being I know no Greek. So you Greek fellers tell me; How well did they do with this text?

YLT in whom ye also, having heard the word of the truth -- the good news of your salvation -- in whom also having believed, ye were sealed with the Holy Spirit of the promise,

That verse doesn't miss saying the following by much sans the Holy Spirit setting one apart, as these verses state.

John 10:26,27 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: (Are Believing Ones)

That is who are set apart by the Hole Spirit which they receive because of what the One speaking did. Which seals them for: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand.

Eph,1:13,14 ye were sealed with the Holy Spirit of the promise, which is an earnest of our inheritance, to the redemption of the acquired possession, to the praise of His glory.

14. OldRegular

It is true. The Doctrines of Grace magnify the Grace of God, they give all Glory to God. Apparent some people cannot accept that truth or else they are totally ignorant of what really constitutes the the Doctrines of Grace. I hope it is the latter and that they do not wish to subject the Grace and Glory of God to their own sinful will.

#114 OldRegular, Sep 6, 2012
  15. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder what his first post said??

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Downhill, speeding out of control, and closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.