1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Your Confession of Faith...Let's see it!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Understand your concern, as I at times have wondered why so much quoting from Confessions/creeds/authors instead of the bible...

other concern is that at times its almost like if the doctrine is not found in those items, its not biblical!

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK,

Being focused on the bible is what we are to be about. I do not like to use many illustrations but I will offer one....

A child learning to ride a two wheel bicycle might for a time use training wheels. When he knows it well the training wheels come off.

A young christian needs teaching and much of it.When a teacher is not available these tools can accelerate the learning curve geometrically as the Spirit works through the verses offered by the teachers who put them in order in the study book.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Is this supposed to be a joke? All you do is parrot Reformed doctrine without any scripture whatsoever to support it. You are WORSE than Icon!

I don't know how many times you have said man was disabled by the fall so that he cannot believe. I would love to see even one verse in all the scriptures that say that. I have asked for that many times, you have NEVER supplied this scripture.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Most of us that post here are pastors, Icon. Respect us as such.
    We are not the little children as you use in your illustration.

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why do you wonder about this? Do you think those sources do not use the bible????

Then Winman says this:

To show what i mean, perhaps you and Winman and DHK, without using google, or study books....answer this question only using scripture ....do it right now..

How does Jesus fulfill the office of a priest???
    Do your best...show me and others what you have....without cheating!:thumbs:

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you miss that it was just an illustration....not saying you are a child...you totally missed it...

As a Pastor show me the answer to my question...just using scripture, no study books, no bible dictionary....answer my question please.:wavey:

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If you want an answer to that question then start a new thread. Don't derail this one.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

How does one derail their own thread?

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yeshua1 NEVER quotes the scriptures. He just spouts Reformed doctrine as though it is truth without any scripture to support it.

I have been showing scripture to support my views since I came to BB.

I don't copy creeds like you do, I don't let others find scripture for me like you do.

You are the one who should show how Jesus fulfills the office of a priest without relying on someone else, you can't do it, you simply parrot what others say. That is one reason why you cannot understand anything outside a Reformed view.

I could answer your question, but I am not going to do it.

Show me Iconoclast where the Bible says God cursed man so that he is unable to believe the gospel. You claim this is the truth, and so does Yeshua1, but neither of you has EVER shown one verse of scripture to support it.

Show one verse of scripture that says a person must be regenerated to have the ability to believe. Just one.

Bunch of hypocrites.

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:
    I have some skills SN....I can derail my own thread:wavey:

11. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:wavey: :laugh:

Icon starts and continues his OP and thread and you pulled this accusation out of exactly where?

Derailing his own thread? LOL!!!!

His comment is on OP.

:laugh: :laugh:

12. preacher4truth

Exactly!

:wavey: :thumbs: :thumbs: :applause:

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The originator of the thread is irrelevant.
    The topic of the thread (as seen above) is:

Your Confession of Faith...Let's see it!

The topic of Christ being our High Priest has nothing to do with Confessions of Faith. My advice to Icon was: "If he wants to discuss the doctrine of the High Priestly Ministry of Christ, then he should start another thread, and not derail this one which is about "Your Confession of Faith," or confessions, and those things related to them.
    Just because he started the thread doesn't give him the prerogative of posting anything he wants.

14. preacher4truth

Nonsense. The priesthood of Christ fits into a CoF. It's a huge part of it. :wavey:

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If I allow the discussion of one doctrine, and that only one aspect of one doctrine, then why not every other doctrine in systematic theology. How many volumes of systematic theology did Strong write anyway (not that I use his). Why not premillenialism for instance? Or suprlapsinariasm? Or the heresy of transubstantiation? or the use of anthropormorphisms in the Bible?

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK,

You never followed the instructions of the OP....pick out 2-3 parts of the confession and write your own....You have avoided it as have all the others who say scripture only.Does that mean that you do not believe you can offer a scriptural answer to any of those topics you were asked to???

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I limited my part in this discussion, because as you know I don't put much stock in confessions of faith. Most of them are out-dated, and we have much better resources available to us today. I have already expressed that to you.

My "confession of faith," was in my ordination paper.
    Our church's "confession of faith" is in its statement of faith.

I don't feel the need to take part in rewriting what I have already done, and sometimes many times over.

18. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Will Second this....

I would have to agree, as I underwent a long, tough period of scrutiny on my path to ordination. I passed the personal examinations given by those on the ordination board, and like DHK, that should stand on its own in answering this OP!

BTW - this is a great OP as it challenges one's faith and what they believe. I think you were able to elicit some good conversation! :applause:

19. preacher4truth

You're disingenuous. Any systematic theology covers many facets of theology including Christ's priesthood. You should know this but obviously you don't. A CoF also covers many facets of theology. The thread was therefore not being 'derailed'.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is now isn't it? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.