1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

3 classes of People

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

How do you know what it is to God. It could be "nothing".

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'll give you two words used by God The Father and Christ... "I AM"

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Does God know how you will die and when? ANSWER PLEASE!!!

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and I'll add to that. How? Does He see the future because He only exists in the present? Be careful with your response, because it could come back "hyper".

5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello Bob,

What is at stack here...is how you and webdog view foreknown. You have changed the meaning...and your meaning does not hold water.

"foreknow"...has time placed in it. You want to say God does not work in time...and thereby say election happen as God saw who would believe. This is wrong and again, will not hold water. Therefore...we show the holes. :)

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If what you say is true...how does God "foreknow"? Is it because He is bound by time?

He said "I AM"...not "I WAS" or "I WILL BE".

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Of course He knows. How does He know it? I'm not sure, since I'm not God and Scripture doesn't tell us how God relates to or experiences time. The point is, the Eternal Now/Omnitemporal theory and any other competing theories are mere speculation. It's all philosophy, not Biblical doctrine. And we should be careful not to base other Biblical doctrines (e.g., election and foreknowledge) on mere philosophical matters.

#127 Andy T., Jul 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2006
  8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I want to add that this is a false premise. The meaning hasn't changed...the "how" has. If anything the calvinist meaning changes it.

9. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Of course, that's the English translation of Yahweh, the reverential Hebrew name for God. I'm curious if there is any evidence that the Hebrews interpreted this to mean that the past and future exists in the same manner as the present.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

James;
    We have not changed the definition of Foreknow. He has to foreknow whether you believe or not for the rest of His plan to works, such as He foreknew you believed before He called, He predestinated to be conformed to the image of His Son, (Christ like), he justified (Jesus's blood), He glorified which He already see us being glorified but we are confined by time. It takes place when you "believe" but God sees it all at once.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

At least you are honest. The theology you defend tells me that God knows...because He declares it, which logically results in hyper calvinism.
    If He's not omnitemporal, He's not "in all places"...He's not omnipresent...He's not God.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How can "I AM" be construed as anything but? He didn't say "I WAS" or "I WILL". I AM lacks time but the eternal present to God.

#132 webdog, Jul 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2006
  13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, now you admit He does know the future which goes against what you posted just a few posts ago.

And we are not the ones who pushed this foreknowledge and election it was the Calvinist who pushed it.

14. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Bob you said...
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=814831&postcount=25

Now maybe you used bad wording...we all do at times. I got to do some work...be back tonight.

15. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

It's quite possible that God's name for himself, Yahweh, does not attempt to convey time categories, but something else. For instance, it might convey that he is the same yesterday, today and forever, not that yesterday and tomorrow exist in the same manner as today.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Andy T;
    What is the "General Association of Regular Baptists"?

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think you are confusing God's righteousness with His omnipresence.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Psalm 139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there

19. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Why so combative? There is a difference between knowing the future and existing in the future, which entails that the future exist in some other dimension. All orthodox believers hold that God knows the future, and I've never denied such. The question is: Does God exist in something (the future) that doesn't even exist? Again, this is all philosophical musings.

20. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

This:

http://www.garbc.org/