1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 1 Corinthians 2:14 does not teach total inability

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Jan 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it's all up to God then why are you so passionate about getting your message out?. Why worry about what others believe. Don't you believe that if you have been chosen you will be saved no matter what?
    MB

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Utter falsehood. The same unreferenced claims over and over. Utter nonsense. As they used to say, all sizzle and no steak.

The OP view, 1 Corinthians 2:14 does not teach "total spiritual inability" have been shown and remains unrefuted.

Who are those who are perishing? Those who have rejected the gospel. If they had heard it and accepted it, it would not be foolishness. Again and again, the advocates of false doctrine simply read into scripture what they want to see.

Does "the things" mean "all the things" or "some of the things" at 1 Cor. 2:14? Some of the things, spiritual solid food (meat) because "men of flesh" can hear and respond to "spiritual milk" 1 Corinthians 3:1-3.

The good news is that anyone, you included, can hear and understand the call of gospel, it is the power of God for salvation, and if you put your trust fully in Christ as God and Savior, God will credit your faith as righteousness and place you into Christ, for everyone believing into Christ shall not perish, but have eternal life.

#182 Van, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread shall be closed no sooner than 1245 am (Sat) Eastern Time --// 945 PM (Fri) Pacific time

#183 Salty, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, you are free to be mistaken. ". . . the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, . . ." In other words, a total inablity, without the Spirit of God to know them.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why post such deflection, I addressed the contextual meaning of "the things" and you ignored it. Then I expect you will claim you rebutted viewpoint.

Why did Paul speak to new born again Christians "as to men of flesh" if "men of flesh" could not understand spiritual milk. I expect no answer will be forthcoming, only denial and deflection. Surprise me. :)

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where? Again you make an empty claim, calling the refutation a "denial and deflection." Duh.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Post #182
    Why post such deflection, I addressed the contextual meaning of "the things" and you ignored it. Then I expect you will claim you rebutted viewpoint. Was the following question answered? Nope.

Why did Paul speak to new born again Christians "as to men of flesh" if "men of flesh" could not understand spiritual milk. I expect no answer will be forthcoming, only denial and deflection. Surprise me.

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    False because, Romans 8:8-9, "So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."

Your post #182,
    1 Corinthians 1:18, ". . . For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. . .."

9. Rippon2

Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because it's what the Lord has commanded us to do. Have you ever heard of the Great Commission of Matthew 28:18-20? We Calvinists do. We are to be proactive and leave the results in God's hands.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a Calvinist. One of the best Pastors I have had was 5 point Calvinisr of a soul winning Baptist church.

11. Rippon2

Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am happy to hear that. I am certainly not denying the fact that many non-Calvinists believe in the Great Commission. I was just emphasizing that detractors are wrong about the soul-winning ways of many Calvinists. That is, the critics claim that Calvinists are passive, sit on their duffs, and wait for God to move. By the way, The Soul Winner was authored by a mighty Calvinist --Charles H. Spurgeon.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On and on, you must know you are not engaging, just deflecting. Why, who in the world do you think you are fooling?

1) Those perishing did not accept the gospel call. But other lost folks do respond.
    2) The things does not mean "all the things" but rather "some of the things" because some of the lost can understand and grow on spiritual milk (1 Cor. 3:1-3), soils 2, 3, and 4 of Matthew 13.

13. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think he's posted some very good thoughtful helpful stuff on this topic.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe your view is inaccurate. Did he justify any basis for asserting "the things" means "all the things?" I provided the basis for concluding "the things" means "some of the things" (spiritual solid food but not spiritual milk). Did he provide a basis for asserting "those who are perishing" does not simply refer to those who have rejected the gospel?

Total Spiritual Inability is false doctrine. To defend it with bromides is not helpful in turning aside from error.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread has been closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.