1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 1 Corinthians 2:14 does not teach total inability

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Jan 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No one wants that. Just would encourage you to actually engage and post something tangible. Just look at your last few posts. Totally void of an actual argument. You get in these contests for a reason.

I would love for you to interact with some of the responses you've been getting. Or your free to keep doing what you're doing.

#141 Calminian, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rippon2

Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The drawing of John 6:44 always unites the one drawn by the Father to Jesus. Every single one thus drawn is raised up at the last day.

3. Calminian

Site Supporter

Sounds like you're touting some kind of universalism.

4. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't insert a :) face. Everyone thus drawn does not = the entire human race, but the elect alone.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um....I responded to what you gave me. Have you looked at your last few posts

6. Calminian

Site Supporter

Yep. Offered verses and arguments. Nothing but spit in return. Trying to have a dialog with you.

7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And we are not agreeing. I am persuade we believe the same Scriptures. Can you not explicitly identify the point or points of interpretation reading the same Scriptures?
    1 Corinthians 1:18, ". . . the cross is to them that perish foolishness; . . ." 1 Corinthians 2:14, ". . . the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: . . ."

#147 37818, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The context of those two verses is in the correction Paul is making to believers in corinnth

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You miss the irony. John 11:48-53, ". . . If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation. . . . Then from that day forth they took counsel together for to put him to death." John 12:32-33, ". . . And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. This he said, signifying what death he should die."

10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is your interpretation, but how from the contexts of 1 Corinthians 1:10 - 1 Corinthians 2:16 do you come to it?

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you have argued. What I see, and has not been refuted, the perishing, the natural man regard God's truths as foolisness.

12. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, when Christ said "When I am lifted up from the earth" spoke of the sort of death he would experience. And yes, Caiaphas, foretold that it wouldn't be for those among the Jewish nation, but also for the scattered children of God around the world. All of the aforementioned are the elect. I had said that that Christ died for people from among all tribes, languages, people and nations. (Acts 20:28, Rev. 5:9 etc.

13. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    How in the name of all that's sane can you regard people perishing as believers in 1 Cor.1:18? The same type of individual is found in 1 Cor. 2:14 --an unbeliever --the Holy Spirit of God is not within that person --a perishing individual. In those two passages there is no way that an honest look will reveal anything but the fact that those people are unsaved.

14. Calminian

Site Supporter

Would have been so easy for Jesus to say this or for John to qualify this. Apart from a qualifier, all means all.

John said, "The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world." Not just to some, but to "everyone." Jesus later said,

John 12:35 .....“You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. Whoever walks in the dark does not know where they are going. 36 Believe in the light while you have the light, so that you may become children of light.”.....​

Very clear that while some receive light (knowledge, understanding, enlightenment) not all respond in faith.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok there is no verse that puts the perishing and the natural man together. The lost man is always natural but the natural is not always perishing.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you even read the op? You jump in a thread at the end and then act like you know what is going on. Read the op and then get back to me.

17. Calminian

Site Supporter

Just not true. Jude uses this word and is absolutely speaking of unbelievers—those not having the Spirit.

Translated "sensual persons" in the NKJV.

Jude 19 These are sensual persons, who cause divisions, not having the Spirit.​

The NIV translates using 4 words, "follow mere natural instincts."

Jude 19 These are the people who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.​

NASB translates it "worldly-minded."

Jude 19 These are the ones who cause divisions, worldly-minded, devoid of the Spirit.​

If you're going to argue these are believers, then you must take the absurd position that believers not only consider the things of God foolish, but are also themselves "devoid of the Spirit."

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Calminian

Site Supporter

Indeed I did.

Here's another challenge to your premise. I see the argument made all the time. Since Paul is speaking to the Church everything he says is directed to believers. Not true.

The problem with this argument is that the Church is comprised of both wheats and tares. The Church is a body of believers and professing believers. Jesus commanded his disciples not clear out all the tares for fear of expelling true believes. He said he would separate them in the last day.

Warnings about unbelief are found in most epistles and it make perfect sense. Tares are in every Church.

Heb. 3:12 See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God.​

19. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you under the impression that gives saving light to all? If He meant that then all would be saved. Christ is the Light of the world. He gives the light of creation and conscience to all people (see Ro. 1:18-20 and 2:14,15) He gives the light of the Bible and the light that comes by the preaching of the Gospel. However, He gives the saving light of grace only to His elect.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul did not refer to anyone as a tare. Further, the discussion by Paul over wisdom is enough to show your personal interpretation is incorrect. However, in all of this discussion everyone seems to be ignoring the problem Paul was addressing which is the context of all of this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.