1939 Smoky Mountain Field Recordings of Appalachian Speech

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Thousand Hills, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Thousand Hills Active Member

2. Amy.G New Member

The only 2 I wasn't familiar with was whistle pig and hippoes. But I knew the rest so it was easy to guess them.

3. Ed B Member

Wasn't sure about Knee Deep or hippoes but like you, I got the rest so it was easy to figure those out.

4. Gwen Active Member

I didn't know whistle pig and hippoes. Never heard of those before! My dad says that bullfrogs say, "Knee-Deep! Knee-Deep! Better-go-round! Better-go-round!" So I got that one. LOL

Interesting site, Thousand Hills. Thanks! My Granny (age 98) speaks the language of the mountains. She says things in a very picturesque way, for instance, she says, 'Doubling clothes' rather than folding laundry. She still says, 'a-coming and a-going' and 'hit' for 'it.' I love to hear her talk. :) I was raised in Atlanta, GA, so altho I have a southern accent, I don't have the mountain language of my people. Sadly, it is quickly disappearing.

5. Thousand Hills Active Member

Glad you liked it, I have a lot of cousins that grew up in the Charlotte,NC area, although their roots are appalachian they have a totally different accent than the rest of us hillbillies. Also love to hear people from South Carolina, used to work with a guy from the Columbia area, and most folks that Ive ever met from SC have a unique accent.

6. independentDEM New Member

thanks

great post and interesting information...
    How much of the Southern accent do you think comes from the Cherokee people and other Native Americans? I have lived in most of the Deep South states and often times many of the Counties, Cities, Rivers, and Streets have Cherokee names... I have also, noticed that many of the most strongest accents in the South typically come from people who are of Native American background...

7. Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

What a hoot.....I am so proud that I got ONE right, being a person who lives on the other side of the world!!!:laugh: