1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2017 is 1984

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do know that God supports a Just war, and how would fighting back against islamic terrorists not be just?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll repeat this again. I no longer consider myself to be a liberal. I realized that my views were supported by my faith. I never supported abortion except in the case of the mother's life being in danger of incest/rape. Putting my Christian God in the public square is not a religious question for me. It's a violation of the establishment clause of the 1st amendment to favor any religion. Baptists were persecuted by the Pilgrims in Mass. and that's why Roger Williams left to establish the state of Rhode island. I support the constitution along with its amendments. Do you?

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The founders NEVER intended the seperation of church and state as the SC saw it to be!

4. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the First Amendment which is included in the Bill of Rights.

The Bill of Rights
    Amendment I
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

This means that NO RELIGION including Christianity can be given preferential treatment. Accepting Christian refugees and rejecting Muslim refugees or harassment of anyone because of their faith is prohibited. The Constitution is religion neutral. U.S. citizens have the right to worship in any way they wish. Personally, I like this freedom. Christianity is already too easy to follow in America as opposed to countries like India where it is actively persecuted. As a Deacon, I visited an Indian couple who visited our church. She was brought up as a Catholic in India and that was recognized as acceptable. But he converted from Hindu to Christianity.and immediately both their lives were in danger. They moved to Bangkok and this persecution continued. They told me the thing they most disliked in the U.S. was that being a Christian was regarded as the accep0table thing and was too easy. They were stronger Christians because of the persecution they had encountered elsewhere. This is a Biblical truth. Early Christianity was spread and strengthened by persecution. We in America are too often lukewarm. As found in Rev:

Rev 3:16
    So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Founders allowed for all religions, or none, but there was a distinct preference given to Christianity, and the president not wanting to have Islamic terrrists to come in mixed with other refugees is a legit concern, and with his constitutional right!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bet you cannot show me proof proving your statement.

8. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No preference given to any religion in the Constitution. That's called freedom of religion. Contrary to popular thought many of the founding fathers were not Christian.

The Faiths of the Founding Fathers is a book by historian of American religion David L. Holmes of the College of William & Mary.[1] Holmes approaches the topic of the religion of the founders of the United States by analyzing their public statements and correspondence, the comments left by their contemporaries, and the views, where available, of clergy who knew them.

The main thesis of the book, found on page 134, is that the U.S. Founding Fathers fell into three religious categories:

1. the smallest group, founders who had left their Judeo-Christian heritages and become advocates of the Enlightenment religion of nature and reason called "Deism". These figures included Thomas Paine and Ethan Allen.[page needed]
    2. the founders who remained practicing Christians. They retained a supernaturalist world view, a belief in the divinity of Jesus Christ, and an adherence to the teachings of their denomination. These founders included Patrick Henry, John Jay, and Samuel Adams.[page needed] Holmes also finds that most of the wives and daughters of the founders fell into this category.[page needed]
    3. the largest group consisted of founders who retained Christian loyalties and practice but were influenced by Deism. They believed in little or none of the miracles and supernaturalism inherent in the Judeo-Christian tradition. Holmes finds a spectrum of such Deistic Christians among the founders,[citation needed] ranging from John Adams and George Washington on the conservative right to Benjamin Franklin and James Monroe on the skeptical left.[page needed]
    The well-reviewed[1][dubiousdiscuss] book is one of the first[citation needed] to question the assertions of secular historians that the founders were all Unitarians or Deists and of evangelical pastors that they were orthodox and sometimes born-again Christians who intended to found a Christian nation. Holmes tries to show that all three of the groups he names were present at every step of the founding of the nation.

So neither extreme (all-Christian or all Deist/Unitarian) is correct. Thomas Jefferson actually "created his own Bible" by removing all accounts of miracles or the divinity of Jesus.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2017 is 1984

I had already suspected that you flunked math.

10. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's some proof from the Encyclopedia Britannica about the religions of the founding fathers.

The Founding Fathers, Deism, and Christianity | Founding Fathers

I won't do all the research here. Show me a valid interpretation of the First Amendment.

#30 FollowTheWay, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The First Amendment and the Claim That Muslim Emigrants Be Denied Entrance into the United States
    Vincent J. Samar *

Abstract
    Terrorist attacks throughout the world and particularly within the United States have given rise to a new chapter in the ongoing debate over liberty versus security. The most recent manifestation of this dispute focuses on whether Muslim refugees can be denied entry as a class into the United States, based on their religion alone, for fear they might be harboring potential terrorists. This Essay shows that such a policy cannot be justified under the First Amendment Establishment Clause, as well the United States’ expressed international commitments to preserving international human rights. What can be done is to engage a broader set of investigative approaches that are more likely to provide greater security than any policy focused on religion alone.

The First Amendment and the Claim That Muslim Emigrants Be Denied Entrance into the United States

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem on this is that the president DOES have the constitutional power granted to him to do just that!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its not the way that the SC interpreted in setting up that false seperation between church and state!

14. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy, all of the (citation needed) and (dubious-discuss) don't really encourage me to take the article seriously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bet some here would be just fine with America becoming an Islamic Nation and would be unwitting enough to defend it happening without ever standing up to maintain Christian values.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever posted anything with actual facts and references? Don't expect me to accept your "alternative facts."

17. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

19. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How Thomas Jefferson Created His Own Bible
    Thanks to an extensive restoration process, the public can now see how Jefferson created his own version of the Scripture

Much of the material Jefferson elected to not include related miraculous events, such as the feeding of the multitudes with only two fish and five loaves of barley bread; he eschewed anything that he perceived as “contrary to reason.” His idiosyncratic gospel concludes with Christ’s entombment but omits his resurrection. He kept Jesus’ own teachings, such as the Beatitude, “Blessed are the peace-makers: for they shall be called the children of God.” The Jefferson Bible, as it’s known, is “scripture by subtraction,” writes Stephen Prothero, a professor of religion at Boston University.

How Thomas Jefferson Created His Own Bible | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian

As you can see, this article is from the Smithsonian Institution which has Jefferson's bible on display (National Museum of American History). You can see a copy of it here: http://tinyurl.com/lk2xee8

20. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does this concern me as a Christian? No. As Christians we are called exert Godly influence on the morality and direction of our country but not to march in lock-step with whatever direction it goes in. America stands for freedom. If you want a Theocracy go to Iran or Saudi Arabia. I tell people these days that I have two passports. I love the blue one because it represents my homeland and freedom. But I will die for the gold one because it's my passport to the Kingdom of God. It's not written on paper but rather is written on my heart. Christianity does not win converts because of government edicts or winning "wars against Muslims." We add to Christ's Church by demonstrating His love in our lives and sharing our own stories about how He has influenced our lives as then sharing the great gospel message. Yes, America has been and can be again a great nation again but it can only happen through the influence and impact of individual Christians. As Jesus said "Ye must be born again."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.