1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

5 Myths of Higher Education and Peer Review

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree with all points but myth 5 in particular. Academic scholars are for the most part extremely prejudiced and closed minded.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose if the majority ruled we would all be Catholic.

I agree with the article that higher education is not necessary on the condition “necessary” is emphasized, “higher education” refers to university, and we are speaking of the pastorate. That said, I believe higher education is greatly desired. When a pastor prepares his sermon it is good that he has vetted his interpretations and conclusions with both his peers and dissenting views. I’ve sat under great pastors who had little or no higher education, but unfortunately their interpretations and biblical consistency were not always adequate. (There’s a joke about a preacher who emphasized the italic words of scripture as he believed they were the words God intended to be emphasized…I’ve seen the “joke” in real life).

Higher education certainly doesn’t equal smarter students. Just look at me. If we are looking at seminary students, such an education may at least indicate a time of preparation and growth.

I do think peer review is necessary, but not necessary for truth.

I absolutely agree with the last statement. No one is neutral when it comes to their beliefs. We may try to be objective, which is a good thing, but we can’t hold our presuppositions completely at bay.

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Specific peer review has been shown to be bogus on a number of occasions. Also, I think many in higher education try to garner a monopoly, a sort of "if you didn't learn it from us, you didn't learn it" kind of viewpoint.

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, way too many (IMHO) fit the old saw -- "He has been educated beyond his intelligence."
    In a sense, I suppose it's the "academic" application of the "PETER PRINCIPAL"!!

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My opinion:

Without a sanctified mind, higher education is worthless in the service of body of Christ:

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1