1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 7 point Calvinism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Piper, Dec 12, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What material on line specifically? And please don’t say Wikipedia!

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Jesus say it was?

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe for reference you might want to go back into the archives and read some of Tom Cassady’s posts. As you know, Tom was a professing Particular Baptist and a pastor in San Diego California. Tom would never claim any association with Calvinists. I seem to remember his saying that they never studied Calvin nor put any store on Calvin, so why adopt his name. Toms emphasis was on Grace. And we PB’s would agree with Tom… someone I consider a valuable teacher.

4. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that is what he was talking about in Matthew 28, or at least a part.
    Does the bible teach that it is? Yes. A full understanding of how Matthew 28:19-20 is fulfilled requires us to work for the propagation of the gospel to individuals and nations.

Romans 10
    How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”

Now, my question to you, Do you personally believe that is is part of your Christian duty to evangelize unbelievers?

Can you answer that question with a yes or no?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do appreciate their distain for being lumped in with Calvinism. But per their soteriology they are Calvinists.

I see Primitive Baptists as Calvinists because they hold the same doctrine insofar as salvation.

They (from what I have read) agree with Calvinists that men are not able to merit or earn salvation, nor can man turn to God apart from God drawing them.

They agree with Calvinists that God's choice in who to save us not conditioned on man.

They agree with Calvinists that Christ died to save only the elect (only those whom God chose to save as His people).

They agree with Calvinists that God's will in salvation is going to be accomplished.

They agree with Calvinists that God will keep those who He saves from being lost.

They also a view of the Atonement that was developed within Reformed churches.

This is not to ignore differenc s (there are differences) but Primitive Baptists developed from Calvinistic Baptist churches in the 19th Century (specifically over missions). The denomination was a reaction to Methodist influenced of the day (at that time the Methodist were the largest and most influential denomination).

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The link you provided. I read the same thing across several PB sites, but it is wrong in that it completely misunderstands Calvinism as soteriology (it looks to one sect within historical Presbyterianism, but even here it missed the mark on their Ecclesiology).

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You already have your answer

Jesus also teaches that we are to wash the feet of the brethren so being compliant, we PB’ s we do what Jesus told us to do. So do you also follow the lord in his requests?

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If not Presbyterians, what model do you prefer?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We were there long before there were Calvinists…. Maybe they should get in line with us and become Old school Baptists. That would deflate their egos to be sure.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When we speak of Calvinism as soteriology it is the system Beza worked out through Calvin's work.

If we speak of historical Calvinism then we are talking about Presbyterian theology...BUT then "Calvinism" is addressing how Calvinists view Communion (as symbolic).

Luther coined the term "Calvinism" in response to Calvin's rejection of the idea Christ is present in a different way in Communion.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you were not. Primitive Baptists began as an offshoot from general Baptists in the US. General Baptists were moving towards a Methodist type soteriology while the sect that would form Primitive Baptists held Presbyterian influences.

This is clear as Primitive Baptists hold John Calvin's theory of Atonement. Methodists do as well, as they came from the same Presbyterian traditions.

Now, if you want to belong to a pre-Reformation denomination that was never a part of the RCC and holds Baptist doctrine, you should look for a good Mennonite or Amish congregation (but be careful as many Mennonites have become more Reformed). There are Amish churches that will let you attend. But I don't think you can join. Not sure there.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would I want to, I’m very happy where I am.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know why you would. Just said if you did.

Are you still planning on moving?

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, hopefully closer to my grandkids but prices are crazy

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still south of NJ, I take it.

Prices are crazy.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yeah. I think my wife is dragging her feet because her parents are sure to expire soon. She also want to move where there is good cancer care. My son and my grandkids are currently in Florida by Orlando… I’m not convinced it’s the area for us…. I like savanna Georgia and have been looking at Tennessee. I hope that interest rates will level off and real estate will drop to an affordable rate. But I ain’t getting younger.:(

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come to the Augusta area. It's a medical hub. 6 hrs. to Orlando (or a fairly cheap flight). :)

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haven’t looked there yet… thanks for the tip. :Thumbsup

• Like Like x 1
  19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Since Unconditional Election is unbiblical, the flip side, double predestination is likewise unbiblical.
    2) The Seventh point is the "ends justify the means" demonic view cloaked in religious jargon.

Calvinism denies the premise "your faith has saved you."
    Calvinism denies Paul spoke to unregenerate people using spiritual milk because they could understand and affirmatively respond.
    Calvinism denies Christ laid down His life as a ransom for all, those to be saved and those never to be saved.
    Calvinism denies unregenerate pole sought God and embraced to varying degrees the gospel of Christ.

God chose for salvation individuals utilizing their faith in the truth.
    God chose for salvation individuals rich in faith and heirs to the kingdom promised to those who love Him.

20. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You lost me at this point.
    You can have your election by virtue of merited works, but you won't find it in the Bible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.